LordBob's commissionned work

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dixie

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by Dixie »

I'd go for A too. Or maybe D with C's "coiffe", and maybe without the neck-thing (go for A or C's model on that thing for which I don't have a word?). Although for some reason I pictured her more in colors of blue/cyan, I guess purple could do. Isn't she supposed to be called the queen of ice or something like that, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Appart from that, good job as per usual :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
gruese

Post by gruese »

LordBob wrote:In other news, I've began studies for Asheviere. Different outfits and colour schemes. As ever, they're modular and you're all welcome to comment and say if you like such or such element from that stance or the other one.
Wow, really great work once again. All of them are wonderful imo, the one I like most is C. Reasons: I love the turtle neck and headdress, very medieval-looking. The dress seems to be made of heavy brocade, a very expensive and royal material in old times - seems very fitting to me. You could go with the pronounced chest of D for a more feminine look, but I prefer the more reserved and closed-up dress, as it adds to her air of haughtiness and arrogance (goes well with her pose).

B is just a little too androgynous in my eyes, while A is the classic high fantasy sorceress cliché (a little too much skin and bling-bling for my taste).

But like I said, all of them look amazing & fit the character well.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

A
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Those are all pretty cool, but if I had to choose then I'd go with D because I think it has the best combination of clothing and pose. I'd remove the neck covering though, to make her look less chaste. She doesn't need to be a tramp, but she's still probably the kind of person who hasn't shied away from utilizing her femininity in order to manipulate others or even as an extension of politics, if you get my meaning. If you go with D, then the hand holding the skirt might or might not be hard to get to mesh well with the final cropping.

I'm not sure which headgear is best, but if I could drop one then that'd be B. Are the black strands hanging from A's headgear her own hair? If so, then I think that would look pretty good if you made it cover less of her face (like in C; less like a helmet, more like a hair...thing). And maybe the "horns" could be a little bit shorter and the hair even longer? Other than that, I think C would be a good choice too.

My vote would be something like this: D's pose and clothes with the neck thing removed, A's or C's headgear and C's or D's face.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

For heads I think C fits her. The head on B reminds me of Magneto from X-men; it's way too helmety.
For the dresses, I could picture her wearing any of those. But considering the occasion, probably A looks the most commanding.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

My vote goes to D. C is the worst in my view (reminds of Granny Goodness :lol2: )
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:My vote goes to D. C is the worst in my view (reminds of Granny Goodness :lol2: )
Oh god. Now that is a nightmare :shock: :lol2:

Based on the general feeling, we're heading for D with C's headgear and collar, and probably C's colors as well (I like these deep crimsons). don'tmind the faces though, they're just placeholders.

On a side note, I've updated Delfador's mentoring pose.
Attachments
Wesnoth_HttT_delfador_mentoring-study.jpg
Wesnoth_HttT_delfador_mentoring-study.jpg (56.48 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I vote C with B's headgear.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I vote A with D's headgear, but with a younger and less ugly face.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Zalminen

Post by Zalminen »

I'd vote A as well, but not looking quite that old.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Ashie:
Overall A, including pose, chubbiness, dress and headgear. Especially hands of A looks like a pure win with the wrist bend.

Some miscellaneous impressions:
B's head comes across as more proud than A, and the higher hands have the effect of looking more tense.
C has a posture like someone who has been a gymnast in youth.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
rmj

Post by rmj »

I would go for C with the cape of A and the headgear of D and the hand positions of A.
rmj
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

No progress on Asheviere yet, but the first mentoring variant for Delfador.
Attachments
Wesnoth_HttT_delfador_mentoring-study1.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Excellent!
Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

I have a strange feeling the head doesn't fit the body. I also think his left hand isn't placed in a correct angle. But anyway, this is great.