Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Post by LordBob »

Reworked the fire guardian so that it looks more like actual fire. I might skip lineart for this one, on account of it being quite the headache for this specific image.

Also, sketch for the evolved guardian : the idea would be that it has not actual armor, but more a mean-looking metal frame with very large shoulder pads that just serves to show how much more badass it is compared to other fire spirits

Will next work on alternative colors and final portraits for sailors.
Attachments
2021_26a.jpg
monsters_fire-guardian-sketch.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Holy spikes, Batman! I wasn't sure how you were going to put armor on this guy, but the frame was a great idea.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

WOAH. The portrait (level 2 advancement?) for the Fire Guardian level2 reminded me of Ragnaros instantly! Thank you, LordBob, for astounding us with such artistic wonders. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm just going to throw an idea out here:
In UtBS, there is a one-off unit "Ixthala Daemon" https://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/mainline ... Demon.html It is currently some sort of alien, but maybe the upgraded fire guardian would make sense there. So maybe less "FF7 exaggeration" shoulder pads, and more lost culture symbolism, still with the sharp, dangerous metal it currently has.
A great portrait for the fire guardian upgrade won't languish unused, but the fire guardian has a lot of work needed as it is (the sprite, not criticizing the revised portrait), and it's flexible in a way that the big metal shoulder pads would close off.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: February 4th, 2021, 2:49 am WOAH. The portrait (level 2 advancement?) for the Fire Guardian level2 reminded me of Ragnaros instantly! Thank you, LordBob, for astounding us with such artistic wonders. :D
Haha, thanks, hearing this means a lot to me. And sure I can't deny my WoW years ^^
doofus-01 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 2:47 am
In UtBS, there is a one-off unit "Ixthala Daemon" https://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/mainline ... Demon.html It is currently some sort of alien, but maybe the upgraded fire guardian would make sense there. So maybe less "FF7 exaggeration" shoulder pads, and more lost culture symbolism, still with the sharp, dangerous metal it currently has.
But...but....but giant shoulder pads are awesome ! Everyone should wear them all the time !!! :Awesome: :whistle:

In all seriousness, I very much like the idea. Tried a few sketches that tone down the exaggeration ; the common ground is the openwork spiky metal, but beyond that I'm really open to anything. Let me know if this is what you had in mind or if another direction should be explored.
Attachments
monsters_fire-guardian-sketch2.jpg
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi LordBob, as always very exciting to see your portraits! I really like the sailors and how much character you've brought out as well as the use of clothing colors!

I also absolutely love the fire spirit xD

I also scrolled back a bit and saw some really cool (but potentially unfinished) naga portraits, would you mind if I used them in my add-on (Reign of the Lords)?

EDIT: also just wanted to say that scrolled back a bit farther and saw your fencer female variants and definitely think we should make a female line for them now hahaha xD 8) 8) 8) 8)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob wrote: February 10th, 2021, 1:01 am ried a few sketches that tone down the exaggeration ; the common ground is the openwork spiky metal, but beyond that I'm really open to anything. Let me know if this is what you had in mind or if another direction should be explored.
Those all could fit with what I was thinking. B & D would be some sort of Naga-god? Or is it better to leave the lower region undefined? D & E have a scarab beetle vibe, that's a motif that could make sense and we could put it in a few more places, scenery or terrain ruins, for example. F is my personal favorite and I'm curious to see what you'd do with the "feather boa" (metal leaves?).

Thanks.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Advanced Fire Guardian. Tried to combine elements of the different sketches. I'm temporarily naming it Fire Wraith for want of a better name.
I'm not completely happy with it yet, will probably revise some details in its outfit. The feather boa thing could be better drawn and the chains are a little lacking in rythm. Maybe make its face nastier, too, depending on whether we want it to be the Wise Ancient Being or Demon of the Old World type of creature.
Attachments
monsters-fire_wraith.jpg
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It looks pretty interesting, I agree the chains seem off, maybe crossing them would help, or at least avoiding the parallel section before they split off.

For UtBS, the angry Demon of the Old World is probably the right choice, but for more general use, the Wise Ancient Being could be better... Hard to say, no wrong answer on that.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Alright. I might end up doing both, then.

Unrelated, I finished the naga warrior with mace a while ago and never posted them here.
Also, I don't remember if I posted them before, so sketches for the Zephyr and Ophidian lines.
Naga-2.jpg
Naga-4.jpg
Naga-6.jpg
9---Naga-ringcaster.jpg
18---Naga-ophydian.jpg
19---Naga-upgraded.jpg
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

LordBob wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm Alright. I might end up doing both, then.

Unrelated, I finished the naga warrior with mace a while ago and never posted them here.
Also, I don't remember if I posted them before, so sketches for the Zephyr and Ophidian lines.

Naga-2.jpg
Naga-4.jpg
Naga-6.jpg
9---Naga-ringcaster.jpg
18---Naga-ophydian.jpg
19---Naga-upgraded.jpg
Never forget the Nagini Fighter lineage and, even if not main, the Naga Guardian one.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Looking fantastic Lord Bob! I really love the naga and its great to see such high quality portraits!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I know you think about this stuff so...Is that high-level ringcaster intentionally trying to look like a horse? If so, why did he go with that motif?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

beetlenaut wrote: March 8th, 2021, 5:56 am I know you think about this stuff so...Is that high-level ringcaster intentionally trying to look like a horse? If so, why did he go with that motif?
A horse, really ? Where ? :whistle: :mrgreen:

Believe it or not I completely missed that when drawing, but now you mentioned it I can't unsee the ears and mane. Those were supposed to be extra bling on top of the lvl 2 armor but it seems I missed the mark. Also the head cover does lenghten its face quite a bit, I should probably revise its shape.

Unrelated, I've been sketching heads for the Jinn. While its body will be mostly tattered robes and sand, I want to make its face some sort of mask the like of which might haunt old folk tales of the desert dwellers. I'm trying different directions, not sure which one to pick though. One thing's for sure, I don't want it to be just another Aladdin genie.
Attachments
monster-jinn_1.jpg
monster-jinn_2.jpg
Odium

Post by Odium »

All of those ideas are very intriguing and super original
Honestly my preferences are the D, N, P and R sketches, I especially think the R would fit well