Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: thespaceinvader sprites: current, animals

Post by beetlenaut »

Skizzaltix wrote:The fangs and legs on Beetlenaut's version are good, but it appears to have... No abdomen at all? :?
I already fixed it, but it has its own thread now. Go there.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

fabi wrote:Beetlenaut, there are spiders that have only one big corpus like the harvestman.
Those spiders are called "untrue spiders", they are a subspecies.
But your spider does look more like a "true spider" whose have a distinct abdomen.

I suggest you either make it more harvestman like or give it a abdomen.

Greetings, Fabi
Harvestmen aren't spiders or a 'subspecies' of spider. That's not what the word subspecies means. They're a different kind of arachnid altogether, like scorpions are.

Harvestmen also don't have any venom, don't live in caves and feed on really small insects and plant fluids. A harvestman wouldn't match up with a giant cave spider.

I'd comment on beetlenaut's version, but i'll go trooping along to his thread and do that there.

Now to be more on topic, i think TSI's version is ok with the big bulbous abdomen. It's a common way to do giant spiders in fantasy. Look at Shelob from the LoTR movies. Not to mention the books. :P

Edit: Now that i've looked at beetlenaut's thread, i'd kinda like for both versions to go in as different kinds of giant spider. TSI's looks more troglobytic with the way the eyes and mouthparts are drawn, so it would be the giant cave spider. Beetlenaut's looks more like a Lycosid (wolf) spider which are pretty 'outdoorsy' and would make a good 'giant forest spider' or somesuch.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Question about the tuskers: I like them, but there's a WML inconsistency in the tusklet. It has the special_notes_charge macro, but no charge attack. Should it have a charge attack, or should it have no special note?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I honestly can't remember. I think it should have charge...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

thespaceinvader wrote: February 10th, 2009, 9:44 pm Animation proceeds apace. The Tusklet is finished, the .cfg and sounds are included within...

EDIT: tusker too.

EDIT: I duly declare these finished =D
Resurrecting this old thread to note that I'm intending to get the tuskers committed in an ongoing Fauna PR: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/5039
(No need for anyone to reply to any of the posts from over ten years ago.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects