Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vultraz
Developer

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by vultraz »

The bob has been committed.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

An attempt at a bob for the Runemaster. To spice things up, I tried to vary the breathing animation by adding another cycle, in which the runemaster closes his eyes while exhaling (just like the Guardsman/Stalwart/Sentinel).
I hope you like it!
Attachments
runemaster.gif
runemaster.gif (5.25 KiB) Viewed 15647 times
runemaster.zip
(22.8 KiB) Downloaded 976 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kwandulin wrote:An attempt at a bob for the Runemaster. To spice things up, I tried to vary the breathing animation by adding another cycle, in which the runemaster closes his eyes while exhaling (just like the Guardsman/Stalwart/Sentinel).
I hope you like it!
It's really good on all the micro aspects (the bulk of the work). One macro thing that doesn't quite feel right is how he's oscillating 'forward' during the animation, and then snapping back. The recovery part of that feels really stiff - the easiest fix is probably just having him not hop that one pixel to our right during the animation.

It's possible to fix it without removing that, though - I think the more damaging thing is just that the whole body moves at once.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Tom_Of_Wesnoth

Post by Tom_Of_Wesnoth »

Jetrel wrote:
Kwandulin wrote:An attempt at a bob for the Runemaster. To spice things up, I tried to vary the breathing animation by adding another cycle, in which the runemaster closes his eyes while exhaling (just like the Guardsman/Stalwart/Sentinel).
I hope you like it!
It's really good on all the micro aspects (the bulk of the work). One macro thing that doesn't quite feel right is how he's oscillating 'forward' during the animation, and then snapping back. The recovery part of that feels really stiff - the easiest fix is probably just having him not hop that one pixel to our right during the animation.

It's possible to fix it without removing that, though - I think the more damaging thing is just that the whole body moves at once.
I think that moving forwards effect is caused by his arms moving backwards, or if not caused by it, definitely added to.
If presented with the opportunity, I would take great pleasure in becoming a world ruler.
Rhoders

Post by Rhoders »

I cloned the horseman standing animation to the lancer, hope this is useful.
Attachments
lancer-se-bob.zip
(29.5 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
lancer-standing.gif
lancer-standing.gif (9.25 KiB) Viewed 14992 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Looks pretty tasty. Nice work!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Looks good to go in!
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I´m not an arts person, therefore please ignore me if I´m talking garbage, but it looks somewhat strange to me.
Especially the side-to-side shifting of the riders head looks somehow unnatural (perhaps not for some kind of dance, but a heavily armored knight on a horse?). I guess it´s meant to go back-and-forth, but with the whole sprite shifting around the (almost) still breast plate, it just doesn´t evoke that impression for me.
Otherwise this looks great though, don´t want to only criticise here :)
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Rhoders

Post by Rhoders »

Whiskeyjack wrote:Especially the side-to-side shifting of the riders head looks somehow unnatural (perhaps not for some kind of dance, but a heavily armored knight on a horse?). I guess it´s meant to go back-and-forth, but with the whole sprite shifting around the (almost) still breast plate, it just doesn´t evoke that impression for me.
The head moves by the same amount as in the horseman standing animation, but I've made the breastplate move more if you think that makes it seem more natural? Thanks for the feedback!
lancer-se-bob.gif
lancer-se-bob.gif (9.26 KiB) Viewed 14852 times
lancer-se-bob.zip
(29.7 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
I've also started on a NE bob for the lancer using a baseframe Jetrel posted on the forums a while ago - does it matter that there's currently no attack/defense animation for this direction?
Rhoders

Post by Rhoders »

Here's the NE bob:
lancer-ne-bob.gif
lancer-ne-bob.gif (9.02 KiB) Viewed 14788 times
Just noticed the shadow is motionless through the final three frames, I'll fix that in the morning. Any feedback appreciated!
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

I don't have anything very useful to say other than looks very good! It would be awesome to see animations on all the horsemen. :)
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Rhoders wrote:I'll fix that in the morning.
Unfortunately, that's one of the surest ways here on the forum to get no response as people are waiting for that update before posting...

I think it'd look even better if, during frames 5 & 6, either the front legs gave in a little or the cloth on them covered them further down.

I hope you don't mind if I give it a try:
Modified flapping of cloth corner
Modified flapping of cloth corner
ne-bob-c4.gif (12.15 KiB) Viewed 14498 times
In any case, I prepared the commit, your animations will be in-game as soon as I passed them past the art people.
Rhoders

Post by Rhoders »

Thanks for sorting that out. Sorry I haven't been active in a while, but now that I've finished my exams I should be able to finish cloning these standing animations.

Do I need to change anything for the lancer standing animations or can I move on to the knight now?
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Rhoders wrote:Do I need to change anything for the lancer standing animations or can I move on to the knight now?
The animations are good to go in and will be in the next development release.

As for what to do next, I'd have a humble reqest - Jetrel posted a ne-run for the lancer, but the cloth wasn't shaded. Would you do that? I attached the extracted frames of his gif for convenience.

If you do the knight, keep in mind that the se-bob is already done:
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33585

For the se-run, you could start off GbDorn's work in that thread.
Attachments
lancer-ne-run.zip
Partially shaded lancer movement animation by Jetrel
(12.54 KiB) Downloaded 817 times
Rhoders

Post by Rhoders »

Ok I'll have a go at the lancer ne-run when I next get a chance, thanks for sending the frames.