Journey Into the Dwarven Roots (Campaign for 1.16.x)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ashmyr

Journey Into the Dwarven Roots (Campaign for 1.16.x)

Post by Ashmyr »

Original Thread name from April 29th, 2021: "Dwarvish Kingdom (Campaign for 1.14.x)"

Dwarvish Kingdom is a work-in-progress campaign that has been created and maintained by me. Only 3/11 scenarios are done for now but I would appreciate feedback on it.

Any constructive criticism and/or advice on the scenarios, units, balance, characters, portraits, maps or dialogue would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I am a one person team creating the maps and scenarios, though I have had some help with the dialogue and code.
Last edited by Ashmyr on February 1st, 2024, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Ashmyr

Re: Dwarvish Kingdom (Campaign for 1.14.x)

Post by Ashmyr »

Working on uploading it to the server. Should be up soon.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello!

I am providing my feedback
Replays
When viewing them, please enable PRNG. Otherwise, it's an error message (no clue why).
DK-Burial Chamber replay.gz
(20.67 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
DK-Feral Tunnels replay.gz
(21.19 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Wesnoth 1.14.16
HARD difficulty
Scenario 1
This is a prologue scenario, it should be like "scenario 00". The scenario count is kept for combat scenarios.
Scenario 2
Nice start-of-campaign scenario.

Hmm, I don't know but I dislike the Thunderers here. They hardly hit anything, or maybe it was just bad luck on my part. Anyways, I will probably stick with Scouts for ranged units.

Dwarven healer lvl 2 unit has no animations when he attacks/defends/heals.

Dwarven Spearman unit "powercreeps" the other advancement Stalwart.
Scenario 3
Scenario is nice, but the Troll Whelp dies in one turn from the Water Serpent.

That Fire Guardian at the end felt like free XP.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Update 1 is out. It did the following:

- Buff the troll's health
- Made the troll easier to defend
- Made it so if someone only does the Spider path, they will encounter the troll event, through shifting around a cave wall terrain
- Decreased gold in both scenarios
- Decreased gold carryover to 60
- Added music to Burial Chamber

I might add a few more enemies, and I might add another Fire Guardian.
Novice campaign creator.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Dwarven healer lvl 2 unit has no animations when he attacks/defends/heals.
I copied the code straight from TEG so I'm not sure why it isn't working.
Dwarven Spearman unit "powercreeps" the other advancement Stalwart.
Intentional. I think he should have less health. He loses the defensive capabilities for offense. Sentinel should be a better unit. Though I can nerf his attacks and/or health.
Novice campaign creator.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Ashmyr wrote: April 29th, 2021, 7:53 pm I copied the code straight from TEG so I'm not sure why it isn't working.
Intentional. I think he should have less health. He loses the defensive capabilities for offense. Sentinel should be a better unit. Though I can nerf his attacks and/or health.
the base image for the Potion Smith loads since the image path for it is correct. The animations have an incorrect image path. (- and _ confusion)

Also, the Dwarvish Spearman can have lowered melee damage, like maybe 8-3. His ranged attack can be 11-2, but 10-2 is fine.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

I'm always down to check out a dwarven campaign!

noted only a few things:
I'm always down to check out a dwarven campaign!

noted only a few things:
Spoiler:
scenario 2:
Spoiler:
scenario 3:
Spoiler:
I like it though! looking forward to see what's too come. Definitely got some elements I wasn't expecting, which is fun!
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Mirion147 wrote: April 30th, 2021, 1:29 am "[event] is missing name or id field"[/spoiler]
Working on it.

scenario 2:
Spoiler:
1. Good question. Though what I had in mind is that the scout came from the eastern tunnels, Dulotmos wonders if that's the quickest way, and Arolmar tells him that that is the quickest way.
2. I'm aware it might not be plausible, but given how you can't access ulfserkers via recruit at all -- they would be too powerful -- it's a reward for the players who bother to kill the enemy leader.
3. His name..ehh, I've heard that one, I'll see if I can fix that later. For now, I don't know *how* to do it.
I like it though! looking forward to see what's too come. Definitely got some elements I wasn't expecting, which is fun!
I'm curious. What elements exactly weren't you expecting? I'm trying to go for some unconventional enemies and settings. I varied the terrain a LOT more than I usually do in Feral Tunnels and I'm happy with the end result. In Burial Chamber, I thought the whole "Undead allies" would be unique too.
Novice campaign creator.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

I am working on Dwarven Kingdom 0.0.3.

:) This next update should include:

- Tunnels of Flame (Working on it now, just need my friend to rewrite the dialogue)
- Fixed alchemist portrait
- Fixed Master of Alchemy and Potion Smith sprites
- Jeman should be a DK Guardsman now (instead of a regular Guardsman)
- The Spearman should be nerfed
- The mage should have a slightly more powerful cold attack, with the resistances improved

If anyone has other last minute suggestions I'll plug them in. I hoped to get "Troll Domain" out as well (5a and 5b, mostly the same scenario) but that one's gonna take more coding than I had hoped.

After Troll Domain is LIberation of Marne! :)
Novice campaign creator.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

I am thinking about renaming "Dwarvish Kingdom" to "Tunnels of Garhme" or "Liberation of Marne" :)

Edit: Gahrme -> Garhme. You'd think I could spell the name of the Dwarvish Kingdom I made right, lol
Last edited by Ashmyr on April 30th, 2021, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Novice campaign creator.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Ashmyr wrote: April 30th, 2021, 6:50 pm I am thinking about renaming "Dwarvish Kingdom" to "Tunnels of Gahrme" or "Liberation of Marne" :)
Reconquest of a Fallen Kingdom? :P
Too fancy?

Rise of Dwarfdom
Jeman should be a DK Guardsman now (instead of a regular Guardsman)
Those of us who have the savefile of S3, won't be allowed this change. We have to continue with the core Guardsman. This is fine since Sentinel is nice to have.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ashmyr wrote: April 30th, 2021, 6:48 pm If anyone has other last minute suggestions I'll plug them in.
Not sure if this can count as a last minute suggestion, however on Discord I told you (without giving many details, because I had to look for them) that some campaigns have a level 2 spider. For example, one of these is IftU, which contains a Lesser Giant Spider (with its own base frame); otherwise, Ageless Era contains both a level 1 Little Spider and a level 2 Spider, which use the mainline Giant Spider scaled down as sprites.
The choice of course is up to you, but since we're facing Giant Spiders this early in the campaign I think you should replace them with their L1 or L2 versions.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:47 pm Not sure if this can count as a last minute suggestion, however on Discord I told you (without giving many details, because I had to look for them) that some campaigns have a level 2 spider. For example, one of these is IftU, which contains a Lesser Giant Spider (with its own base frame); otherwise, Ageless Era contains both a level 1 Little Spider and a level 2 Spider, which use the mainline Giant Spider scaled down as sprites.
The choice of course is up to you, but since we're facing Giant Spiders this early in the campaign I think you should replace them with their L1 or L2 versions.
I think that's a good suggestion. I was wondering how these units compare to the Cave Spider from UtBS. That's the only l2 spider I've fought that I can remember, and I don't think it's too overpowered; I was curious how similar the stats of those are to the Cave Spider.

CORRECTION: The Cave Spider is a lvl 3 but I could make the code make it a lvl 2.
Last edited by Ashmyr on May 1st, 2021, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novice campaign creator.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Ashmyr wrote: April 30th, 2021, 5:22 pm 2. I'm aware it might not be plausible, but given how you can't access ulfserkers via recruit at all -- they would be too powerful -- it's a reward for the players who bother to kill the enemy leader.

A possible work around on this could have the dwarf rush into the cave after you kill the leader saying that they left some form of attachment to fight him and he bested all of them and chased them here? Give him a low healthbar and call it even?
Ashmyr wrote: April 30th, 2021, 5:22 pm 3. His name..ehh, I've heard that one, I'll see if I can fix that later. For now, I don't know *how* to do it.
I've never tried to do this but wouldn't it be just a [modify_unit] tag? Give him a generic name "Crazed Dwarf" And then after the [message] where you ask his name [modify_unit] and name=Selmas in there, and you're set? I'm not a coder, but I feel like that would work.
Ashmyr wrote: April 30th, 2021, 5:22 pm I'm curious. What elements exactly weren't you expecting? I'm trying to go for some unconventional enemies and settings. I varied the terrain a LOT more than I usually do in Feral Tunnels and I'm happy with the end result. In Burial Chamber, I thought the whole "Undead allies" would be unique too.
The undead allies was a big one for sure, but also having the arcanister line and the troll ally too. And just wait until 1.15/16 when you get different mushroom terrains :)
Last edited by Mirion147 on May 1st, 2021, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Hello :)

UPDATE:
I have two friends who help me with dialogue; both were swamped today so I cannot release the new version. I will try to see if they are available again tomorrow.

The next update should include

- Tunnels of Flame (DONE, but need friend to re-do dialogue)
- Fixed alchemist portrait (DONE)
- Fixed Master of Alchemy and Potion Smith sprites (DONE)
- Jeman should be a DK Guardsman now (DONE)
- The Spearman should be nerfed (DONE)
- The mage should have a slightly more powerful cold attack, with the resistances improved (TODO)
- The Spiders replaced with a lvl 2 (DONE)
- Tentacles and 2 more Fire Guardians added to S3 (DONE)
- Slight revisions on S3 map (DONE)
- Semas spawns after enemy leader is killed with the suggestion Mirion wrote (TODO)
- Undead allies die after enemy leader dies (TODO)
- Side 3 in S2 and Side 2 in S2 both avoid village terrains (TODO)

Edit: The last point.
Novice campaign creator.