Questions about a non-Wesnoth campaign creation

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ArchibaldGreen

Questions about a non-Wesnoth campaign creation

Post by ArchibaldGreen »

Greetings.
I apologize if I write in a wrong section (since I'm a newbie who just stepped in here), but since I allow myself such arrogance I'll do my best to be atleast clear on my questions.
I'm currently working on a Single Player campaign, set not in Wesnoth but in an original setting (which I create myself), and before continuing my work I'd like to receive suggestions and directions on further work and to seriously consider if I should continue, or rather create my idea not as a BfW add-on campaign but something else.

1. The year in main.cfg. Since the setting isn't Wesnoth, which years I must assign to "start" and "end" years? Logically (in my subjective opinion), "off-topic" campaigns should be the latest and with a tag "Non-Wesnoth" but I don't know how it's best to do. Please, direct me on this question.

2. The portraits art style. I'm aware it's obligatory for Wesnoth's portraits to be closest to "realistic fantasy" kind as much as possible, and I will confess - I do really like it. However, I want to get information if the same rule applies to UMC, exactly those that are not following Wesnoth events. Would it be allowed for such (non-Wesnoth) campaign to have art style closer to more abstract and unrealistic style (similar to mainstream anime games, or close to it) ?
Since I'm planning to do the art for campaign myself, if it's ok, then I might get on work, but I don't want to be forced to have a classical style portraits for heroes in my campaign...

3. Would it be possible to set a certain EXP cap for unit, during the certain scenario (so player couldn't start the next scenario with overbuffed hero after 400 turns of grinding).
Now I think it's more a WML-related question, but if necessary, I'll start a new thread related to solely WML questions in the needed topic, but in any case - I'll ask here first... I'm planning to make my campaign more focused on heroes rather than soldier hires (might be only one-scenario mercs without recall). For scenarios with soldier hires, amount of gold will probably be fixed for each scenario, similar to a "RTS" (real-time strategy map), and turns limit won't be included in each scenario (unless it's plot-important).
So, to balance out a potential "EXP farm abusement", enemies will be either limited, OR limit the max level before progressing through the campaign further.

4. And now about ownership of the original elements. If I create a campaign with solely my characters, my setting and my plot, would I be able to create later, say, a commercial game based on the same characters and world I created (I'm NOT going to include anything related to BfW in such a case, no worries), AFTER I make the add-on campaign? I'm not a lawyer, so I would appreciate clarification on this question, and see if I should be careful about creating an original setting in form of a BfW add-on campaign.

I apologize if some of those questions were answered in one form or another, but I will appreciate detailed clarification, answers and suggestions regardless. After all, it will help to decide more on my decision of working on a Single player add-on campaign... As I'm unsure.
And I also apologize for any text mistakes I might have made, since I'm not a native English-speaker. I hope I made my text as clear as possible.
Thank you.

P.S. How I personally look at the idea of working on a campaign?
I'm having fun so far, but this might be because of the process of learning. Learning WML and scenario-creating seems tricky, but it isn't atomic physics - just requires patience and diligence - and really entertaining to see when something you add in your scenario DO really work.
Bladget

Re: Questions about a non-Wesnoth campaign creation

Post by Bladget »

1. Do not set properties that do not apply to the subject.
2. Your campaign is free to incorporate whatever art you muster. Unless they are "explicit" or offensive to the audience, I am guessing.
3. Ask questions regarding implementation of features in separate threads. The topic is very specific.
4. Regarding copyright, they give more details in sticky forum threads for appropriate sections and in the game itself, when user tries to upload add-ons. If there is still ambiguity, contact actual Wesnoth developer. https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Wesnoth:Copyri ... tributions

I am in a similar situation. The tools Wesnoth offers for scripting are passable. I worked with much less, even in some commercial projects (non-entertainment). You will still need to rely on your own text-editor, or IDE, and graphics editor (Gimp, Photoshop), of course.

You should decide now if you want the product to be commercial or no. If you want to make a 'folio entry, Wesnoth campaign may suffice??, but it will remain just that. If you want to make a product for sale, consider more established engines, usually with commercial editions.
+
The only skills you really pick up with Wesnoth campaign development is maybe art and maybe Lua syntax, if you involve yourself with those aspects even. Game design and actual programming remain out of scope.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

The add-on server rules are here, for reference.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Wayirr

Post by Wayirr »

Since, the art and code you include into your add-on are solely copyrighted by you, you can indeed include them in other project, whatever license they might be under.

However, if you import artwork or code from other add-ons, which is permitted and encouraged, then you can't use other people's artwork in other projects if their licenses are incompatible with GPL.
would I be able to create later, say, a commercial game based on the same characters and world I created
So, the answer is yes, of course. However please do not forget, that GPL permits commercial use as long as every customer gets access to complete source code and rights to use, modify and redistribute it, you can use GPLed code and artwork in your projects.

So for example you can make your commercial game based on Wesnoth engine. Though of complete correspondent source code will have to be provided along with the access to the game.