A Fiery Birth-Drake Campaign (9 Scenarios) Now on 1.18

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Re: A Fiery Birth-Drake Campaign (9 Scenarios) Now on 1.14

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad you like it! I think switching to dwarves would be good, especially when 1.16 comes out. If you have any suggestions on making some scenarios harder (like decreasing gold or adding enemy gold), let me know, I'm pretty bad at playing this game and tend to make everything too easy!
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Yes, I will pm you on occasion with that. I am playing some other Campaigns at the moment, and working on my own, but if I have some time left I will play through your Campaign again and write some ideas down.
eh, what comes here again?
egallager

Post by egallager »

So, I played thru this campaign recently, and while I'm not sure if it's necessarily my favorite drake campaign, it's definitely the one that I think is the most "canonical"-feeling, and I'd love to see it made mainline's official drake campaign (that is, assuming Wings of Valor doesn't get that honor first, which I've heard might happen). I did make a few changes in the process of playing it, which can be found here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_ ... iery_Birth
They're very minor, though, and probably not necessary. I'd support submission of the campaign to mainline even without my changes.
MathBrush

Re: A Fiery Birth-Drake Campaign (9 Scenarios) Now on 1.16

Post by MathBrush »

Okay, now that I've seen the 1.16 servers go up, I've updated this campaign to remove deprecated features and update the Dunefolk scenario with the new units.

I haven't made the earlier balance suggestions because I've kind of been 'on break'. I played through today and couldn't beat the Dunefolk on Normal; maybe the AI got better, or I got worse? When 1.16 gets fully published, I'd love to know what if anything needs fixing. At that point, I'll try to add everything else in this thread. Thanks so much to people who helped give feedback!
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
egallager

Post by egallager »

MathBrush wrote: June 28th, 2021, 2:01 am Okay, now that I've seen the 1.16 servers go up, I've updated this campaign to remove deprecated features and update the Dunefolk scenario with the new units.

I haven't made the earlier balance suggestions because I've kind of been 'on break'. I played through today and couldn't beat the Dunefolk on Normal; maybe the AI got better, or I got worse? When 1.16 gets fully published, I'd love to know what if anything needs fixing. At that point, I'll try to add everything else in this thread. Thanks so much to people who helped give feedback!
Do you keep your sources in version control at all? I'd like to generate diffs for the changes I've made, but I lost the original copies of the files I started with...
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

I haven't kept it in source control before (to my detriment; I lost the _server.pbl password to the 1.12 version a long time ago) but I threw it on there just now (minus the server file): https://github.com/brirush84/AFieryBirth
egallager

Post by egallager »

MathBrush wrote: June 28th, 2021, 1:29 pm I haven't kept it in source control before (to my detriment; I lost the _server.pbl password to the 1.12 version a long time ago) but I threw it on there just now (minus the server file): https://github.com/brirush84/AFieryBirth
ok thanks; I opened a pull request: https://github.com/brirush84/AFieryBirth/pull/1
egallager

Post by egallager »

egallager wrote: June 30th, 2021, 3:37 am
MathBrush wrote: June 28th, 2021, 1:29 pm I haven't kept it in source control before (to my detriment; I lost the _server.pbl password to the 1.12 version a long time ago) but I threw it on there just now (minus the server file): https://github.com/brirush84/AFieryBirth
ok thanks; I opened a pull request: https://github.com/brirush84/AFieryBirth/pull/1
...and I've opened another one, for whitespace changes with wmlindent: https://github.com/brirush84/AFieryBirth/pull/2
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks! I'll get on it.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Just finished, BfW 1.16, normal difficulty.

It's all OK, but, at least in my opinion, scenario 06 Alone Again it's really too hard for a normal difficulty. Always in my opinion it would be better balanced if the dunefolk didn't start with half the villages.

Thank you for your work.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks for the feedback! The Dunefolk were reworked, so I'll go through and check out the balance.

That scene was originally taken directly from the Heir to the Throne level where you confront Princess Li'Sar, just with all the grass changed to desert and the enemies changed from Loyalists to Dunefolk.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

This has been updated to 1.2.1 now. This version adds Saurian Skirmishers to the first level (which aren't carried forward). The dragon is supposed to be able to defeated all enemies single-handedly, but some people wanted more than bats.

The starting villages for the Dunefolk have been removed in every mode except for Hard.
chee

Post by chee »

Hi. Thank you for offering this interesting campaign.
I have created a Japanese translation of this campaign (ver 1.2.1) and distributed the "mo" file on a Japanese website.
 One of my problems in creating the translated files was the omission of the "#textdomain" description. So, I have written in the site to change all scenario files and the _main.cfg file as a precaution for use (the changed files are also distributed on that site).
If you could add those changes to the original files, I would be very glad.
I will also send a pull request to Github for the modified file if you like.

Japanese site: https://wikiwiki.jp/wesnoth/A%20Fiery%2 ... 0%EF%BC%89
-------
chee / k.k
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Hello! Thank you so much for translating, that sounds awesome.

I'd like to fix the textdomain problems. What exactly do I need to add to my files to fix that? (Question is for you or anyone else who knows).
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I think you just need

Code: Select all

#textdomain fiery-birth
... at the top of each .cfg file.

(If you visit the link above, that page contains a link to a zip archive with the fixed .cfg files.)