Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign for 1.12.6]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pags

Re: Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign for 1.12.6]

Post by Pags »

I repeated s7 and this time retrieved mr dragonheart.

In S8, I'm still getting the LUA errors though. Is there a dev version not yet uploaded with that fix?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I cannot replicate the error on 1.13.8 with the downloadable AH 2.2.0. Are you playing on 1.13.x? IIRC, Ashen Hearts is not even available anymore from the 1.12 servers
Pags

Post by Pags »

looks like date downloaded is june 25
uploads=14
version="1.81.0"

so...is there a fix for the lua in 1.12, or is the code so dependant on the base version 1.13?
Poison

Post by Poison »

Just finished the campaign (at 1.13.10), it's really amazing, perfect size (maybe one more scenario would be ideal) and challenges so I have enjoyed it very much. It has everything to be included in mainline imho, I understand that there have been some thoughts on this happening, I can see why. It's not overly difficult as it has been mentioned, everything works great if you know what to do, I've finished all the scenarios but one in my first attempt. My only (minor) observations/objections:
  • It should be mentioned that scouts/thunderlords/riders etc can retreat after attacking, the mainline UtBS has an ability like this called disengage,
    it should be mentioned in this campaign the same way too.
  • There should be a strong hint for the player to find Malkarth, I would have never guessed this if I haven't read the walkthrough. Unless, ofc you want this to be some super hidden secret.
  • In the final scenario, Skjal should have a tad more gold to provide a somewhat bigger challenge and delay you a little bit more.
Regarding the walkthrough: At scenario 5, the warriors way is perfectly doable also at hard if you have saved gold and do a proper recruitment. Finally at Tears of the Heartfangs I couldn't find the golden armor anywhere, please add the coordinates of the hex for this.
Last edited by Poison on November 5th, 2017, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks! Uploaded a small update (v.2.2.1) that fixes your objections. The hint about finding Malkarth is still rather small now, but I don't want every player to find it on the first try. I also updated the walkthrough regarding the golden armour.

Glad you enjoyed the campaign!
Poison

Post by Poison »

Thank you very much and hope to see your work in mainline, btw the micro ais work really well congrats to mattsc too.
GreatLord

Post by GreatLord »

I can't find your campaign, what is its name? i have the 1.12.6 version of wesnoth. thank you!
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

It's only on 1.13.x nowadays
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign]

Post by Kwandulin »

Ashen Hearts v.2.3 (only on BfW 1.13.x)
  • slightly changed map of the last scenario
  • in the last scenario, Ilrandh no longer relies on clockwork units. Clockwork units have very different resistances and only popped up in the last scenario. Now, Ilrandh's army consists of Steelclads and Protectors and only a few Clockwork Ballistae
  • removed Clockwork Bulwark, Stalker, Automaton
  • removed Norn from the last scenario
  • added the secret of Iz'Mulch-zaf as an optional and hidden task
  • added a melee strike gfx for the Dragonheart's claw attack
  • added a melee strike gfx for the elvish bloodmaiden
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

nemaara invested a lot of effort to revision the texts and dialogues. The campaign feels so much more mature now, you should definitely check it out.

Ashen Hearts v.2.4 (only on BfW 1.14.x)
  • Overall text and dialogue revisions by nemaara (thanks a lot!).
  • Improved the campaign description (thanks to nemaara)
  • units no longer lose their burning heart special when advancing
  • Ilrandh can now be killed by Khazran only but not all of his attacks have to connect.
  • fixed golden armour regeneration ability not working
  • added castle tiles for the player in S8
  • more flavourful formatting for the items
  • improved Oaken Stone gfx
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Since we got a whole bunch of new players since the Steam release, it might be worth asking for additional translations. I can not offer anything in return though - except an entry in the campaign credits -, but maybe you like Ashen Hearts and want your people to enjoy it in their own language. Nemaara did a great dialogue overhaul recently, so there won't be many string changes in the next campaign updates.

I will take care of the german translation myself.

I've attached a skeleton.po file. It would be great to have some further additional translations for the campaign!
Attachments
wesnoth-ah.po
(119.7 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

On 2.41.0's scenario 3, playing on easy, Kerlarn seems to be missing dialogue. Turn 2 starts with the friendly invitation to come to his castle, but on easy there's no dialogue when you visit the castle.
Gregcraft

Re: Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign for 1.14.3]

Post by Gregcraft »

I like your campaign. But I stopped at the seventh scenario because I couldn't activate the rune at the drake warrior. I had a drake warrior with me, but when I put him on the rune; nothing happens.
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

I've just started playing this campaign (and I do so on-and-off), but wanted to thank you, @Kwandulin, for really hitting the spot with a drake-focused campaign! Mainline should definitely have one (although whether this particular campaign is right for mainline I can't say before I've finished it).

I'm now replaying scenario 3. I was just about to finish it - only to realize I played it the wrong way:

* I picked off Dwarvish units as they were attacking the trolls, so couldn't "play" the Dwarves against the enemy Drake faction.
* I had assumed a Sky drake would be able to take the Flaming Sword; so I had the enemies chase Herkarth while Uluthur went for the sword... only to find out he can't pick it up, and I have no fighters within 4 turns of the sword.
* There was absolutely no indication that it's important to visit the large tree to the west of the Troll Shaman...
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Hi, thanks! Ashen Hearts won't become mainline, but there is work going of for mainlining another drake campaign (Wings of Valor?).

Scenario 3 is a bit tricky. I built the campaign in such a way to get some replayability: that's why it is made difficult to get the extra stuff that lies around or find special places. Not getting the flaming sword won't get you in trouble later on. The flaming sword can only be picked up by drakes that have blade attacks, afaik.
Not getting the elvish bloodmaiden doesnt hinder you from finishing the campaign. But you can get a nice amulet in the next scenario if you do. I'll add a marker for this tree in the next update.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the campaign!