Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign for 1.12.6]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revolting_peasant

Re: Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign for 1.12.6]

Post by revolting_peasant »

I'm not saying that scenario 3 is problematic the way it is... actually, the only thing I would ask is that it is somehow more obvious who might be able to pick the sword up. As for the tree - it's fine that getting there is not obvious. I'm not even sure I would add a marker. A subtle hint, or no hint, would probably be enough.
Last edited by revolting_peasant on February 14th, 2021, 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revolting_peasant

In the Walkthrough for Scenario 4, it says:
The yetis won't step on the water/ice.
... but they actually do step on the water/ice. At least to get to the island on the like
Not getting the elvish bloodmaiden doesnt hinder you from finishing the campaign. But you can get a nice amulet in the next scenario if you do.
No amulet in scenario 4... ah, you must mean scenario 5. Also, I would think there should be some dialog with the Elf maiden in Scenario 4, even if it's just filler. That is, she only followed the Drakes to find some guy, and now it turns out he's nowhere to be found, while the Drakes are making plans to go somewhere the Elf wasn't expecting.
revolting_peasant

What do you guys think about the possibility of giving Elri's Amulet to Uluthur instead of Herkarth?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Good idea, you'll need Uluthur later on
revolting_peasant

In Scenario 7 I think the walkthrough should make it explicit whether you need an L2-only unit of each of the 5 categories of drakes, or whether L3 units are also acceptable.

Also, at the end of that scenario,
Spoiler:
egallager

Post by egallager »

Hi, I made some edits to this campaign while playing it, which can be found here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_ ... hen_Hearts
Basically, to summarize, I needed more time to do S05 (The Runic Gate), and in general I needed to manually recruit some things I hadn't gotten by advancing units, since I'm bad at keeping stuff alive. Anyways, good campaign though; I even stole the clockwork dragon for use in a different campaign I was editing.
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

Hi

I was playing the last version of the campaign in easy (?) mode, BfW 1.15.11.

It's all very good, since scenario 5; the time limits it's out of the common sense. And I'm speaking of the easy (?) difficulty.

In scenario 5 drakes must fight against merfolks and some super-dwarves in their preferred terrain, solving a puzzle (well, not a difficult puzzle), and the best units the human player can use against the super-dwarves are also the slowest unit he had.
Probably I used wrong tactics, but in my opinion something is wrong, at least in the easy difficulty; it needs at least five-ten more turns to have a playable difficulty; I suppose the nightmare difficulty it's simply impossible.

I passed thru cheating, and I reached the scenario 7; still I don't finished it, but I think I will not finished it; same problem of scenario 5, and i'm tired to waste time or to have to cheat to pass thru.

Sorry.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Argesilao2 wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 7:56 am Hi

I was playing the last version of the campaign in easy (?) mode, BfW 1.15.11.

It's all very good, since scenario 5; the time limits it's out of the common sense. And I'm speaking of the easy (?) difficulty.

In scenario 5 drakes must fight against merfolks and some super-dwarves in their preferred terrain, solving a puzzle (well, not a difficult puzzle), and the best units the human player can use against the super-dwarves are also the slowest unit he had.
Probably I used wrong tactics, but in my opinion something is wrong, at least in the easy difficulty; it needs at least five-ten more turns to have a playable difficulty; I suppose the nightmare difficulty it's simply impossible.

I passed thru cheating, and I reached the scenario 7; still I don't finished it, but I think I will not finished it; same problem of scenario 5, and i'm tired to waste time or to have to cheat to pass thru.

Sorry.
Yeah I had the same problem in my playthrough; I increased the turn limit on S05 all the way to 72 for EASY when I edited it... (see link in my previous post)
Dragon-Friend

Post by Dragon-Friend »

Just finished playing in EASY mode. With BFW 1.16 without any errors! However, some small gameplay problems did occur:
First: 'Runic Gate' Scenario 5 has too few turns. Or my 'KILL EVERYTHING' strategy wasted too many. Plus I had no Drake Thrashers. (oops)
I had to restart the scenario and charged through the Dwarvish Protectors with heavy casualties to end the scenario on exactly the last turn. I attacked the dwarves from the south-east (elf side) and once though the Dwarvish Protectors, on the elf side, I opened the gate. Attacking the gate from both sides. The best way to capture a bridge.

Maybe just add some more turns? Or one less row of Dwarvish Protectors at the gate? (eliminate the second row of Dwarvish Protectors at the gate.) Or hint that you need to hurry before enemy 'x' comes? Really, why are they in such a hurry? (stupid me, the dwarves are coming for Menor. :oops: )
At the very least add a TIME OVER event with some dialogue. :|

Second: 'Dragonheart' scenario 7's SACRIFICE_DRAKE is not clear at all. I killed all the dwarf leaders and expected their runes to disappear. I checked the source to find a clue, on how to finish the scenario. (it was very boring without any dwarves to kill. :( )

Third: scenario 3 Kerlarn (in EASY) mode asks the player to come talk to him. But I couldn't get a skweek out of him. Maybe have him tell the player who can take the sword in a MOVETO event?

OWN PERSONAL PREFERANCE:
I was almost expecting Khazran to be a dark dragon or some other trick. Maybe add that for HARD mode? It just seems to be a classic trap. 'You don't know how to rekindle your inner flame? Come and release me. Thanks for taking me at my word, doing what I asked, and now, BECOMEING MY FOOD!' or something like that. Maybe just have a drake voice some skepticism?

PS: It does appear that you have no TIME OVER events in any of your scenarios. Probably just an oversight, but I thought I'd point it out.

OVERALL: Great work! Cannot describe it any other way. And all the items were very fun.
'Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.' Aragorn to Eomer The Lord of the Rings
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

To whoever ported this to 1.16:

fix the deprecated code before porting it...sigh.
Anyways, I think it's playable without breaking for me...but the warnings/errors flooding my screen on scenario start isn't a pretty sight.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

in the second scenario, the lava healing mechanic is broken. Makes it a lot harder than it had to be.

Yeah, scenario Runic Gate got the worst of error message spamming.
Attachments
AH-Runic Gate.gz
(8.61 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
AH-The Wanderer replay 20220425-071250.gz
(24.72 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
AH-Snowthorn Vale replay 20220425-065403.gz
(38.46 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
AH-Inner Flames replay 20220425-060504.gz
(19.32 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
AH-Aragan the Iron replay 20220425-063319.gz
(32.38 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

For Runic Gate's Nightmare difficulty, can the turn_limit be increased from 38 to 45? finished in turn 44.

Also, Dragonheart's low starting gold doesn't seem to make it possible (plus, you are barred with having 5 of each level 3 and these were difficult to gain).

Lastly, finished the campaign. I see why this was once a mainline candidate for the drakes category. Good story and all, but I guess some parts of it didn't make the cut. Still decent campaign though.
Attachments
AH-Ilrandh replay 20220426-075439.gz
(63.34 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
AH-Tears of the Heartfangs replay 20220425-083114.gz
(40.84 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
AH-Dragonheart.gz
(12.67 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
AH-Tears of the Heartfangs replay 20220425-083114.gz
(40.84 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

One more thing. Maps have deprecated terrain on them. Should be updated.