Hero of Irdya I: The Legend Begins [SP campaign][1.15/1.16]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Hero of Irdya I: The Legend Begins [SP campaign][1.15/1.16]

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hero of Irdya I: The Legend Begins

After 7 months of planning, coding WML, gathering resources, play testing and procrastinating, I am finally announcing the release of Hero of Irdya 1 - the campaign which will be the first of my trilogy. In short, this is a reworked version of The Legend Begins that does not have any plot holes. Hopefully, I will be making monthly releases and will actively respond to feed-back.
undead dont play fair.png
Plot Synopsis
Introduction:
beware!.png
Difficulty Level
Intermediate (with some scenarios leaning towards expert players)

Number of Scenarios
I have a planned a total for 32 playable scenarios, divided into 2 chapters (continuous).
Skeletal Dragon.png
Wesnoth version
Initially, I tried to release the version for Wesnoth 1.13.x, but encountered a bug which halted the development. I then back ported to the 1.12 releases and will keep the campaign in the 1.12 add-on server until its imminent completion.

Requirements
Like the majority of my campaigns, this campaign requires the installation of War of Legends (latest version is recommended).
He's back!
He's back!
Playable factions
You initially start with elementals, but can recruits Trolls, Drakes, Minotaurs, Dwarves, and finally Loyalists.

Expected release Date:
Check the 1.12 add-on server.
Because that's a living volcano!
Because that's a living volcano!
Last edited by Lord-Knightmare on December 13th, 2020, 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
dracostar

Re: Hero of Irdya I: The Legend Begins [SP campaign]

Post by dracostar »

So will this have the same plot of TLB in general, just a bit more streamlined? And will it cover all three episodes of TLB? I look forward to it either way!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

dracostar wrote:So will this have the same plot of TLB in general, just a bit more streamlined? And will it cover all three episodes of TLB? I look forward to it either way!
Not necessarily the same plot. I have greatly modified the story, removed characters, added new ones, remade the Arkenova map, applied more advanced character depth, etc..
I am not giving any spoilers here...but my Github repository might... :P
dracostar

Post by dracostar »

Haha, well how would I go about finding your repository?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The campaign has been uploaded with the first 6 playable scenarios. Please send me feed-back on the sixth scenario Remnants of the Past, which I am presently considering to be impossible.

KNOWN BUGS:
Scenarios in which the rotate_area tag is used can lead to corrupted save files. For those levels, please try to play without reloading.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

The game fails before even entering the 1 scenario and then it returns to the main screen after giving the following message(playing on BfW 1.12.4, have the latest war of legends version 1.1.7):

O seguintes extra teve erro e não pode ser carregado:
C:/Users/Utilizador/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.12/data/add-ons/Hero_of_Irdya_I/_main.cfg

Por favor reporta isto ao responsável por este extra.

Detalhes:

Macro/file 'STR_FAERIE_TOUCH' is missing
at ~add-ons\\Hero_of_Irdya_I\\units\\faeries\\Dark_Dusk_Faerie.cfg:41
included from ~add-ons\\Hero_of_Irdya_I\\units\\faeries.cfg:3
included from ~add-ons\\Hero_of_Irdya_I\\_main.cfg:24
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Macro/file 'STR_FAERIE_TOUCH' is missing
at ~add-ons\\Hero_of_Irdya_I\\units\\faeries\\Dark_Dusk_Faerie.cfg:41
included from ~add-ons\\Hero_of_Irdya_I\\units\\faeries.cfg:3
included from ~add-ons\\Hero_of_Irdya_I\\_main.cfg:24
Fixed. Thank you for reporting this bug.
Spoiler:
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

In the 1 scenario is there supposed to be something happening after the orc leader being killed besides the goblin telling his units to return home? The bonus objective speaks of helping the goblins defeat the orcs, but with 4 units i only could kill the wolves that spanwned(the 2 orc guards are too much strong and i think that only with save reload one could kill them safely), so i don´t know if not being of any help before the orcs are defeated has made some kind of script being missed.

EDIT: After trying the same level on the hardest difficulty and manipulating the AI of the wolves so that they only attacked the 2 guards, i managed to get past those and lure the orc leader to be killed. However, on the other two difficulties there´s nearly not enough time to do this before his death, making the reward for killing him, in reality, only possible on hard.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

It's not necessary to kill the orc leader (you just get a loyal wolf rider and a loyal goblin cavalry). After killing the orc leader, you have to move Jahin to the northern edge of the map. As for the two guards, just try to lure one away from the other and then kill them one at a time. Did you rescue Kojac? He needs to be rescued before Jahin moves to the northern edge of the map. This level tests the player's tolerance towards luck since it is only possible to kill the orc leader if you lure him away from his keep, and kill him when there aren't any wolves around to finish off your injured heroes. Levelling up Jahin/Krog and Meherab in this level is crucial.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I have already beaten the level using those recommendations. The thing is that, playing in a difficulty level lower than the hardest makes so that the orc leader dies even before there´s time for the player units to reach him. Not saying that´s necessarily a bad thing or unintended, just making this clear(the version of the dialogue where there´s no reward should be followed with some kind of update on the objective, it continues to show up when the player doesn´t kill the orc and that´s why i got confused in the first place). I´ll comment the other levels when i manage to get time to beat them.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I guess code like this is outdated then:

Code: Select all

[objective]
                description= _ "Rescue the trapped orc (32,08)"
                condition="win"
                [show_if]
                   {VARIABLE_CONDITIONAL Kojac_rescued equals no}
                [/show_if]
            [/objective]
            [objective]
                {BONUS_OBJECTIVE_CAPTION}
                description= _ "Help the goblins defeat the orcs"
                condition="win"
                [show_if]
                   {VARIABLE_CONDITIONAL helped_goblins equals no}
                [/show_if]
            [/objective]
I will keep this in mind when I code scenario 7.
dracostar

Post by dracostar »

In 'Into the Gloom' there appear to be some errors.
First, Krog says his speech to the troll leader twice before the leader responds. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.
Secondly, 'Death of Urk' appears as a victory condition, as opposed to presumably a defeat condition.
There also a particular section of cave wall where you can pass through to reach the troll prisoner, though it appears to be impassable like most cave walls.
One suggestion is to reduce the number of wolves. I defeated the eastern ogre leader, and moved directly to the cave entrance, but my team began to be swarmed with wolves, especially the stragglers, and I think this is a bit excessive.

Also, in 'Towards the North' the orcs did not tend to move. To my knowledge all they did was recruit then remain unless one of ours got in their range. This meant I could get past them, and to the Academy, in around half the turns, so I started the following scenario with around 1000 gold, which doesn't seem quite right :P.

This is all I have for now, very good remake otherwise.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I have to agree about the number of wolves in "into the gloom" being excessive. after defeating the eastern ogre and going for the one on the west the wolves have killed him already. In the turn 11, after defeating the eastern ogres and some wolves, there´s still 15 wolves(only level 2 and 3) and there will be still enemies in the caves, i can´t see how this can be beaten in this stage
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Also, in 'Towards the North' the orcs did not tend to move. To my knowledge all they did was recruit then remain unless one of ours got in their range. This meant I could get past them, and to the Academy, in around half the turns, so I started the following scenario with around 1000 gold, which doesn't seem quite right :P.
Spoiler:
I honestly have no ******* clue why this is happening. I encountered this bug every time. Any suggestions with AI parameters? Should I introduce the simple targeting Micro AI to side 6? :hmm:
First, Krog says his speech to the troll leader twice before the leader responds. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not.
That's bug. I am not sure what's causing it though. The level worked fine when I played it.
Secondly, 'Death of Urk' appears as a victory condition, as opposed to presumably a defeat condition.
I'm fixing this and making a release with scenario 7 around the 17th of the month.
There also a particular section of cave wall where you can pass through to reach the troll prisoner, though it appears to be impassable like most cave walls.
That's a feature :P . Use that to rescue the loyal troll and form a bottleneck.
One suggestion is to reduce the number of wolves. I defeated the eastern ogre leader, and moved directly to the cave entrance, but my team began to be swarmed with wolves, especially the stragglers, and I think this is a bit excessive.
This was intentional since I gave you guys an opportunity to "milk" the level for XP. You can easily get Mahir and Maliha to level 3 here, and that would be an amazing advantage for scenario 6.

I am actually enjoying this active feed-back thing you guys have got going. This proves that the wesnoth community isn't as dead as some people say it is. I hope this continues until I finish my campaign saga. :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: