Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nemaara
Developer

Re: Genesis 0.2.11 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by nemaara »

I already warned that hard mode would be very difficult, the difficulty there isn't going to change. I suggest moving down a difficulty level if the second scenario is too much.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

nemaara wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 12:18 am I already warned that hard mode would be very difficult, the difficulty there isn't going to change. I suggest moving down a difficulty level if the second scenario is too much.
Well, for me the problem was a great contrast between difficulties in the first and the second scenario.

I probably have some doubts about that thing - do you really think that a faction of fairies you made is balanced to campaign as a whole? That means you relatively equally need all of your five types of fairies to have in stock to advance. It wound't be right that in the whole campaign you can use with most effectiveness only two or even one type of fairies. Many campaigns have this disadvantage. Secret of the Ancients is one of examples. In some moment you must put all your efforts to get as much arch liches as possible because in later stage of the game only their liching ability can let you overwhelm the masses of enemy. It is not fair to the player because till the late a player has no idea about possibility of getting lvl4 unit, and other branches ends at lvl3 only.

You have no lvl4 here but from the other side a player has no idea about a unit tree of fairies. I see some fairies do fire damage, some do arcane. But that can be nothing compared to advantage of leeching.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

And where is the problem in the hardest difficulty of a campaign not being winnable on your first run? That's honestly what I would expect of a nightmare difficulty / hardest level of an expert campaign. You beat it on medium, maybe hard for easier campaigns, if you are an expert player, but you need to know the campaign, and plan accordingly along the way, to beat the hard mode. Not like I ever even tried beating Genesis on hardest difficulty though :lol:
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Considering how many times I've playtested my own campaign, yes, I think the faeries are more or less balanced. There's still some fine tuning to do on their stats, but I think they're relatively close to good. Your enemies generally have very defined strengths and weaknesses so almost all unit types end up being useful one way or another I think.

You're also absolutely correct that you finished the first scenario too quickly, though I would like to see a replay of you beating it in 6 turns. Might be that the unit spawner happened to give you an easy spawn set. But anyway, part of the difficulty on hard is being able to farm as much exp as possible, especially on your hero units. That goes for the first scenario as well.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

nemaara wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 7:38 pm so almost all unit types end up being useful one way or another I think.
Ok.
nemaara wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 7:38 pm You're also absolutely correct that you finished the first scenario too quickly, though I would like to see a replay of you beating it in 6 turns. Might be that the unit spawner happened to give you an easy spawn set.
I think given circumstances I met is was better to finish the battle asap to get the money and recruit meat at the next scenario than continue playing it.
The problem with the replay I got for that scenario is that it does not work as a replay. It shows titres, a dialog and then nothing.
I put a save for the turn 5 instead. You can try to create a replay from it.
Heh, in fact I finished it in 5 turns not 6.
Attachments
Gns-1-Ash-Автосохр5.gz
(28.3 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Well like I said my suggestion is just to lower the difficulty level. I think S1 is a slight bit easy at the start anyway, probably going to increase the starting gold a bit and decrease the spawn rate.
bensen333

Post by bensen333 »

Do I miss something in the crypt? After solving the puzzle, I have to fight many very strong demons. In attack, they are possible, but if they choose weapons all three are pretty weak and the single human unit no help at all. Looks for me impossible to manage.
But maybe I forgot something before?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

bensen333 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 8:10 pm Do I miss something in the crypt? After solving the puzzle, I have to fight many very strong demons. In attack, they are possible, but if they choose weapons all three are pretty weak and the single human unit no help at all. Looks for me impossible to manage.
But maybe I forgot something before?
Did you remember to recall/recruit units at the start of the scenario?
bensen333

Post by bensen333 »

:oops:

WTF. That's embarrassing.I played on the smartphone and did not see there is a keep.

Thank you. Will be a bit easier now I suppose. :roll:
Dubbuk

Re: Genesis 0.2.6 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by Dubbuk »

Dear nemaara

Thank you for this interesting campaign. Unfortunately, I have the same problem as this guy.
I use Windows 10. Do the problem have any solution? There is nothing in log file after crash.
froakie wrote: April 20th, 2019, 11:08 am Thanks.

However, I think the game is making fun of me xD
I've got through s2, done the tree mission, gone to the pit of despair (couldron) on the navigation map.
When I start that scenario after the first two (interlude) dialoges it crashes to desktop, again. I guess that is when the actual scenario starts.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

bensen333 wrote: December 7th, 2020, 11:08 am :oops:

WTF. That's embarrassing.I played on the smartphone and did not see there is a keep.

Thank you. Will be a bit easier now I suppose. :roll:
Don't worry, I commited the same mistake for years (that's like 3-5 times) in a boss fight of AtS (After the Storm). XD
nemaara
Developer

Re: Genesis 0.2.6 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by nemaara »

Dubbuk wrote: January 8th, 2021, 5:17 pm Dear nemaara

Thank you for this interesting campaign. Unfortunately, I have the same problem as this guy.
I use Windows 10. Do the problem have any solution? There is nothing in log file after crash.
froakie wrote: April 20th, 2019, 11:08 am Thanks.

However, I think the game is making fun of me xD
I've got through s2, done the tree mission, gone to the pit of despair (couldron) on the navigation map.
When I start that scenario after the first two (interlude) dialoges it crashes to desktop, again. I guess that is when the actual scenario starts.
No idea, but I've been told before that crashing to desktop is not an WML problem, but a game engine problem. If you're playing on 1.15, maybe some more recent code change could have caused the crash? I remember playtesting back on 1.15.3 and 1.14.12, but not any versions past that. Also I guess if you give me some replays that might help me figure out the issue if there's nothing in the log file.
saklas

Post by saklas »

I played a lot of 0.1 a few years back, so when I started playing the newest version a couple of weeks ago, I was pleasantly surprised by the new unit types and the animations - you've really done a lot of good work. Now that I've finished, I have a few comments, though obviously you don't have to listen to any of them.
Whole Campaign:
Brilliant campaign, from art to gameplay to characterisation. I'm really excited for episode two.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

The campaign is quite nicely done. The idea of faeries versus demons is quite cool. 100% hit is
nice, that's like a sniper right? But less damage, more guarantee to hit though. Interesting idea.

It's not quite as polished as e. g. Into unknown lands but it's definitely way above average quality. So props for that.

I did, however had, stop at one riddle, where you have to guess the correct path, e. g. 5 Glyphs or so. I thought
it was HATER, but I could not want to invest more time since I don't quite like riddles. I much prefer leveling,
gaining new abilities, placing units etc... so mandatory riddles aren't as cool. May be better to put them for
some items, so people could skip the riddles but could continue in the main campaign.

I did play on 1.15 and it worked quite well; did not notice many issues. Oddly enough 1.15 "feels" more slow
than 1.14 ... not sure if this is true or just my own bias. While I don't mind testing unstable, I feel that 1.14
was better than 1.15 ... even though I saw some improvements already, like that terrain thingy I think? :P

Just so that others can also check:

Battle for Wesnoth 1.15.12

Library versions:
Boost: 1.74
Lua: 5.4.2
OpenSSL/libcrypto: 1.1.1k (runtime 1.1.1k)
Cairo: 1.17.4 (runtime 1.17.4)
Pango: 1.48.4 (runtime 1.48.4)
SDL: 2.0.12 (runtime 2.0.12)
SDL_image: 2.0.4 (runtime 2.0.4)
SDL_mixer: 2.0.4 (runtime 2.0.4)

By the way, I know you wrote this many years ago so you perhaps don't have time to rework any of this,
but I think it may be a nice to have some prelude or so before starting with the demons rushing to
burn down everything. Like 1-2 scenarios or so... or perhaps it was a continuation of another campaign
and I missed that. (On that note, it would be nice if there are some visual cues in the add-on or
campaign interface, to indicate which campaigns belong together).
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Oh yes that reminds me ... perhaps have a few more unique abilities that players can choose
like a skill tree. But simpler, just like 2 paths or so. I know you have this already sort of
but I mean more like a specialization to one particular path committed.