Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Otdoy

Re: Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Post by Otdoy »

Just finished the Dragon trilogy... wow! Speechless. :)

Thank you for all the hard work, the many years of work that went into this. It provided me with many, many hours of entertainment. Some of the scenarios really stood out, not only for the innovative storyline, but also for the tactical challenge. This campaign is one the many reasons why I've stuck with BfW for so many years. Thanks!
westsider

Post by westsider »

This is a really cool campaign, and storywise my favorite of the three in this series.

However, it gets a little buggy near the end (understandable after programming over 100 scenarios).

THE DAUGHTER OF TITHYANA
- As others have mentioned, I too managed to save the King by moving Cornelya down into his keep and recalling a bunch of units. They managed to distract and fight off the undead that spawn there. If you do this, however, as other people have noted you can't directly kill Wesir. You can however indirectly kill him by attacking the undead alongside him with whirlwind attacks. If you do it this way (I did) the scenario automatically ends with no dialogue and Cornelya never transforms into the Queen in the Woods. Then when she returns in PRELUDE TO THE FINAL WAR she still hasn't transformed into the Queen and fights out the rest of the game still just as Cornelya. I personally am stuck here now, but can't quite make myself go back and do it the "right" way, i.e. doing DAUGHTER all over again (it's a pretty hard scenario) and then the others in the interim, even though I'd really like to have souped-up Cornelya.

What I'd suggest here is just making the undead attack on the King an auto-kill, as happens numerous other times through the campaign. That way you avoid all of this.

TWIN HAMMERS
- This scenario is pretty buggy. It is in fact possible to clear the board (i.e. kill the human leader before any other factions show up) within 6 or 7 turns by hustling your main character over to the enemies to the southwest and then going Dragon Killer all over them, especially if you catch his troops in bunches. I did this with no cheating fairly easily. If you do this, Svirnabli arrives immediately. A round or two later the trolls/orcs/dwarves show up and do their dance, with dialogue that doesn't make a ton of sense anymore. In the middle of this you're moving toward Svirnabli while the trolls/orcs/dwarves start spawning around you, oblivious to the fact that the Sky Dragon is now on the field.
- Then, if you die vs. Svirnabli before Turn 12 (i.e. when Algil and the troll king show up and transform), Algil and the troll king are erased from the game - if you go on to PRELUDE TO THE FINAL BATTLE they both simply don't show up because they never came out of the cave.
- It's also possible to kill the dwarf and/or troll enemy leaders before Turn 12 if you happen to have some troops in the right places. If you do, when Algil and the troll king show up they'll have half a conversation with someone who isn't there and who doesn't respond back. I don't know what happens if you kill the orc king before Turn 12, especially if the dwarves are already dead (which would presumably end the first part of the scenario and cause Svirnabli to arrive), but I'm guessing the game wouldn't like that development either.

This is a tough one because there are a ton of timed moving parts in this scenario. What I would suggest is that if you kill the human leader before the troll/dwarf/orc enemies show up that they simply don't arrive. The Algil/troll king automatically spawn and have their conversation, then immediately the main character hears something and Svirnabli arrives.

GENERAL
- The Kings-in-the-Whatever seem to be programmed to never actually attack, rather just sit there and take damage. Kind of a disappointment considering they become so powerful, but then never move to defend themselves even if someone's standing right next to them. Better than them charging off into battle and getting themselves killed, though, like other campaigns seem to like to do.
- In PRELUDE TO THE FINAL WAR, there seems to be a bug where anytime Valerya gets attacked that Galdra gets healed. Is this intended? It's kind of annoying visually, since the screen has to pan all the way to Galdra each time it happens.

All that being said, great work on this scenario, especially storywise.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Considering that the thread regarding this trilogy is still sort of alive I will say something about the 3 campaigns too.

I played them quite a long time ago and in general the first one was the best, story and gameplay were great, then I would place the second one, it was a bit bugged (explosive ability) and unbalanced difficulty-wise but the story based around the war was captivating and the gameplay nevertheless very fun, probably even more than in part 1. In the third campaign (so aria of the dragon slayer), well overall concerning the story I would say that the story felt a bit kitsch and made less sense at some points, also we get a bunch of heroes which the story tells us are very important and they are great in their own right, but in reality I never really cared much about most of them. The gameplay was expanded by new abilities however the scenarios weren't really as fun as scenarios in the second part, and you don't get a group of heroes/friends with cool AMLAs like you did in the second part. Nevertheless, it is still a very good campaign, just that it was not quite like the two parts before it.
Spoiler:
westsider

Post by westsider »

Spoiler:
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Actually I do not think I even need to use spoilers since we are in a thread regarding the campaign xD

Yeah I like the story of ruby of fire as well, it is probably the only complete explanation of its origin in Wesnoth. But I also liked the story about the rod of justice.

The two suns are mentioned in under the burning suns, invasion from theu nknown and after the storm and in some other campaigns like loti.
Cashcam24

Post by Cashcam24 »

hey love the campaign and the whole trilogy. One bug is that all of the advancements for okolun that increase his resistances actually set them to 0%.
Straxus

Post by Straxus »

First of all....if revansuik is still checking this, please accept my awe....your trilogy has been amazing....I can only assume you spend far more hours making this than I have spent playing it (even with all the "reloads")....so you are awesome. Thank you for entertaining me for several months.

I am in this Campaign and hit a bug that seems to have been mentioned before, but I am a total Noob on hacking / programming my way past this, so please....anyone that can offer thoughts / advise...I will gladly take it.

In the Clash of Powers scenario, after cleaning up the entire map and smoking everybody, Galdra took my Tenma unit to the fiery pit of doom, but does nothing unless I attack her....and once DragonSlayer mode wears out, that kills my Tenma and nothing happens....I advance the scenario to the end of turns and I just get a defeat.

At this stage, I don't feel a huge need to complete the scenario...I seem to get the gist...that Tenma "dies" there are some dialog screens and the game moves on to the next mission. I would be happy with that...I just want to finish this thing, but I haven't a clue how to force the game to let me to the next scenario.

SO....any help in either fixing this bug (hopefully so that I don't have to replay the scenario) or just skipping ahead to the next scenario would be very welcome. Thanks in advance to any who see this and post.
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Straxus wrote: March 20th, 2018, 8:36 pm First of all....if revansuik is still checking this, please accept my awe....your trilogy has been amazing....I can only assume you spend far more hours making this than I have spent playing it (even with all the "reloads")....so you are awesome. Thank you for entertaining me for several months.
You can PM him. He had the PM linked with his personal mail in the past, not sure about now. But you can try.
Straxus wrote: March 20th, 2018, 8:36 pm
SO....any help in either fixing this bug (hopefully so that I don't have to replay the scenario) or just skipping ahead to the next scenario would be very welcome. Thanks in advance to any who see this and post.
This bug has been reported earlier, and Revansuik had tried fixing it. But for some reason it keeps appearing.

You may do the following.

1. Press ':' while on any scenario of the campaign. This will open a small command prompt at the bottom of the screen.
2. Type debug in the prompt and press enter. This will activate debug mode.
3. Press : again and type cl. Press enter. A window will appear with the list of all scenarios. Choose 37_Dead_world, which is scenario next to 'clash of powers'.

This should get you to the next scenario without any issue. That it is likely that the bug may not appear if you replay the scenario. I played the campaign while it was being developed an on 1.11. I do not have 1.11 so no way I can look back my saves and see if anything else can be done.
Straxus

Post by Straxus »

Thank you! That got me rolling again!
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

EDITED!
Cashcam24 wrote: February 13th, 2017, 6:08 pm seer's prophecy
Spoiler:
Yep, the game's crashing for me at this point too. The game just crashes to desktop as it did with the bug I experienced in War of the Jewel - Crimson Earth.
Spoiler:
Edit: solution 2 does work.
Spoiler:
Also the Statue of Maat tile at (35,32) has no pic.
zozer wrote: June 14th, 2017, 6:29 am To anyone coming here because of the bug in The Seer's Prophecy regarding the elemental wall becoming allies and then not dying bc of the crystals, this is due to the elementals spawning on the wrong team. You can fix this by going into the campaign file (the normal path is Documents->My Games->Wesnoth->data->add-ons->Aria_of_the_Dragon_Slayer->scenarios->34_The_Seers_Prophecy.cfg) and scroll down a little bit until you see this
Screenshot_1.png
in the 3 lines with "SCATTER_GUARDIAN" change the "6" right before the "()" to a "5" so it looks like this
Screenshot_2.png
save the file, close and reopen Wesnoth, and start the scenario from the beginning and they should attacking you as well as dying from the crystals
Thanks! I got bogged down there too but progressed with your fix until I got to the above bug where I'm currently was stuck.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

This is from a little over two years ago but I found the answer and, unless I've missed a post, nobody's answered.
Zaxmyss wrote: January 31st, 2017, 10:41 am In the scenario Dawn of Another Day and Clash of Powers, Algil seems missing in both. No sprites or dialog and Valerya seems talking to herself in CoP. Is this a bug or is it just me?
It's not just you. It means you did not finish Crimson Caves properly.
Spoiler:
If you did not do the above you'll have to replay a few scenarios. :)
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

I've just finished the entire Dragon Trilogy, Great Story. Starting from Myra's first battle (Rain of Fire) to Duel between Tenma and Svarballi (the Dragon and the Slayer), starting from Hiera'Shirsha being invaded Dragon Army to Destruction of Svarballi, starting from The Last War's part to March of Kings' part, starting from date 10 June to 10 July (wow, overall one month playing Dragon Trilogy), and starting campaign from A Song of Fire to Aria of the Dragon-Slayer. I will definitely miss Tenma Yozora. :cry:

Thanks for my feedback. Tommorow, I will play The Underness Series' campaign by Whitewolf. Time to follow Karlag's story. :D
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

DukeSwampy wrote: July 10th, 2019, 1:50 pm I've just finished the entire Dragon Trilogy, Great Story. Starting from Myra's first battle (Rain of Fire) to Duel between Tenma and Svarballi (the Dragon and the Slayer), starting from Hiera'Shirsha being invaded Dragon Army to Destruction of Svarballi, starting from The Last War's part to March of Kings' part, starting from date 10 June to 10 July (wow, overall one month playing Dragon Trilogy), and starting campaign from A Song of Fire to Aria of the Dragon-Slayer. I will definitely miss Tenma Yozora. :cry:

Thanks for my feedback. Tommorow, I will play The Underness Series' campaign by Whitewolf. Time to follow Karlag's story. :D
I'm glad you've enjoyed the Dragon Trilogy! ^_^

Aaand yes, here I am after more than a year. I can only apologise for leaving the campaigns non-maintained for this long, but like I'd mentioned in my 2018 return these times haven't been easy on me; 2019 was a little better, but then I started my Masters degree and found myself with less free time than I had in my undergrad, when I made my 4 campaigns :(
But December brings vacations, and I decided to return to the world of Wesnoth. It's impressive how, for all the rng devilry, this game brings so many good memories ^_^
And then I went through the whole Dragon Trilogy again, porting it to 1.14 at last and even re-working a few bits. Who knows, I've felt so enthusiastic about Wesnoth lately that I might even do another campaign... But let's not make any promises, right, my track record on activity hasn't been too good :lol:

Here's the changelog for v. 1.0.2 of Aria of the Dragon-Slayer!

Code: Select all

Changelog V. 1.0.2
- Scenarios:
    - The Seer's Prophecy: ancient lua bug should no longer happen
	- The Spear of Irdya: Svarballi now summons Fallen Celestials instead of snow mudcrawlers
	- The Children of Demere: Olokun may now recruit new units; more gold to enemies
	- The Dragon and the Slayer: Svarballi now fights alone

- Artwork:
    - Added portrait for Schwarzel, changed her name to Svaryarna
	- Changes to Galdra's portrait and sprites

- Units
    - Supreme spells are now 'unerring'
	- Changes to Galdra's resistances
	- Copied Nightmares and Aberrations from War of Legends until 'arcane focus' bug is solved
	- Added Fallen Celestials and removed snow mudcrawlers

- Miscelanea
    - Minor changes to some maps
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

revansurik wrote: December 30th, 2019, 8:43 pmI went through the whole Dragon Trilogy again, porting it to 1.14 at last
Ooooh, downloaded.

Welcome back!
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sadaharu wrote: December 30th, 2019, 9:42 pm
revansurik wrote: December 30th, 2019, 8:43 pmI went through the whole Dragon Trilogy again, porting it to 1.14 at last
Ooooh, downloaded.

Welcome back!
Thanks! ^_^
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)