Birth of a Lich: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chak_abhi

Re: Birth of a Lich: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by chak_abhi »

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.
Zorlan can be hit, but not before turn 19 (when the last enemy turns up). Till then you will have to hold on, which I think won't be too difficult given the feedback I have received so far.
Enjoy playing "Birth of a Lich"!
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

"Birth of a Lich" for BfW 1.12.0 is out. Please download it from the add-ons server.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

So I played through the campaign. I didn't recruit any undead at all until the last scenario where I recruited only the four chocobos. In addition I ignored the wraith thrust unwanted upon me until required to do otherwise by the scripts. Instead I managed to raise up 9 liches and did the second half on their powers almost alone. It wasn't really enough liches and I had tremendous trouble maintaining enough firepower on the front lines, but nothing else available compares really. If I were to try again knowing the scripts in front of me I would have more like 20 of them.

I have to admit doing it this way leads to radically diverging gameplay and storyline until it almost doesn't make sense anymore.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Cohen the Ballbearing

Post by Cohen the Ballbearing »

So... why does only one human veteran get to be recalled in "Friend in Need"? I had several humans survive the previous scenario, but only one, who was south of the river, can be recalled in the next scenario.

Also, I'm sure I must be doing something wrong because while I could get through the first two scenarios pretty easily, "Friend in Need" is a wall-of-impossibility with what I can recruit (plus the one recall) starting with 87 gold. I know this isn't the "Tips" forum, but if anyone can suggest what the [bleep] I'm doing wrong, that'd be appreciated. Seems like I have to go back and do something different earlier on, but what exactly, I do not know.

TIA.
Is there a Wesnoth 12-Step Program?
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Cohen the Ballbearing wrote: November 12th, 2017, 7:39 pm So... why does only one human veteran get to be recalled in "Friend in Need"? I had several humans survive the previous scenario, but only one, who was south of the river, can be recalled in the next scenario.

Also, I'm sure I must be doing something wrong because while I could get through the first two scenarios pretty easily, "Friend in Need" is a wall-of-impossibility with what I can recruit (plus the one recall) starting with 87 gold. I know this isn't the "Tips" forum, but if anyone can suggest what the [bleep] I'm doing wrong, that'd be appreciated. Seems like I have to go back and do something different earlier on, but what exactly, I do not know.

TIA.
Only the veterans belonging to the chaotic fraction can be recalled in this scenario. So you must concentrate on levelling up these units in the first two scenarios.
Sorry for the delay. I was not following up these forum for a long time, but am back now.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

In the version 1.14. Abhai tells a different story about Malifor. (I like yours more.) Maybe you can ask/convince the devs to use your backstory instead?
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Konrad2 wrote: May 15th, 2018, 3:16 pm In the version 1.14. Abhai tells a different story about Malifor. (I like yours more.) Maybe you can ask/convince the devs to use your backstory instead?
I had tried earlier, but to no avail... :(
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That's too bad... :/
But well, that only means that this campagin won't go mainline. It doesn't impact it's quality. :D
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Konrad2 wrote: May 15th, 2018, 5:58 pm That's too bad... :/
But well, that only means that this campagin won't go mainline. It doesn't impact it's quality. :D
I'm afraid that your apprehensions are true. For some reason my storyline doesn't fit in the plans of the developers. However if people have enjoyed playing this I will consider my efforts to be successful.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well based on a bit of discussion I had with ShadowM a few months ago, maybe not getting mainlined isn't all that bad.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

BTIsaac wrote: May 16th, 2018, 11:04 am Well based on a bit of discussion I had with ShadowM a few months ago, maybe not getting mainlined isn't all that bad.
I have no objection about this, but can you explain a little bit about your discussion? It might be interesting for all of us!
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well this isn't really any of my business and i joined long after that discussion was over, but from what i heard, ShadowM specifically requested that IftU not be mainlined. The way i understand it, the process tends to take away a lot of creative freedom from the campaign's author. Kinda makes sense, because once your story becomes part of the game, it's not entirely your story anymore.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

BTIsaac wrote: May 19th, 2018, 10:55 am Well this isn't really any of my business and i joined long after that discussion was over, but from what i heard, ShadowM specifically requested that IftU not be mainlined. The way i understand it, the process tends to take away a lot of creative freedom from the campaign's author. Kinda makes sense, because once your story becomes part of the game, it's not entirely your story anymore.
You are quite right. An UMC can be altered at the will of the author, but a mainline campaign becomes somewhat like a national anthem which cannot be changed easily.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It also means that a mainline campaign can be altered against the wishes of the author.
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

Hi

I'm playing the campaign with BfW 1.14.2 in Windows 7, intermediate difficulty, and I encountered some bugs.

scenario Finding Home:
- When the orcish leaders Erol and Vrag are sighted appear the message <invalid WML found> unknow conditional wml: [filter second]

scenario Start of Retalion:
- Elenia start the scenario with 0 move points
- Lionel doesn't appear in the final dialogue

scenario Short foot Shumba: Hic Sunt Leones
- There are problems with the colors of the Death Knight side; the second time I played the scenario the color of the halo is red, the color of the flags is green and the color of the purple parts of the unit are purple
- I played twice, but in both the case, some turns after I founded the dwarf side, the game crush; you can see the error message in the attachmen
Attachments
Error.PNG