Birth of a Lich: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chak_abhi

Birth of a Lich: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by chak_abhi »

Hello everyone!

I am back with a new campaign "Birth of a Lich", which features some characters who appear in mainline campaigns, but are either regarded as villains (one of them really is, no second thoughts about that) or are considered too insignificant to be given importance.

The hero of this campaign is Malifor. He is quite well known, at least to everyone who has played "Northern Rebirth". This campaign features his life before his transformation, his resistance to the growing strength of the orcs under a new sovereign called Zorlan (can be found in "Delfador's Memoirs"), and the circumstances under which he became a lich and a menace to the orcs.

The orcish invasion of the northlands is always in the background. Another of the heroes is Thunedain, who has been mentioned in a note as a strong Dwarvish Lord who made his last stand in Dwarven Doors (in "Heir to the Throne", scenario "The Dwarven Doors"). It is time to pay him his due respects. It also touches upon the ill fate of Lionel, the finest general of Garard II.

This campaign has 14 scenarios, including 2 talk-only scenarios. I must mention one thing--the recruit lists will vary from time to time, and the recall list will also change sometimes. So it is important that none of the recruitable lines are ignored. You will be able to fight with human outlaws, dwarves and undead at different times. So be very careful in using all of them.

I hope you enjoy playing this campaign as much as I enjoyed writing it. Please provide your valuable feedback. Any criticism is welcome. Good luck!
Last edited by chak_abhi on August 1st, 2012, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liechtenauer

Re: Birth of a Lich: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Liechtenauer »

I've played up to 'The Orcish Sovereign', and I like it. Enough of a challenge, without being too hard or frustrating. A few nitpicks though:

The first couple scenarios are a little annoying, with the AI cluttering up the bridge, making it a little laborious. The first one wasn't bad, because there weren't many units, but the second one got irritating. Secondly, there was no sign (or maybe there was, and I missed it) that you would lose your undead units at the end of the scenario. I had managed to level up a bone shooter, wraith, and shadow, and the XP ended up wasted. The saurian one I liked alot. Enough level 2s to give you some experience, without enough to slaughter your troops. Once again, I missed any indication that I would no longer be able to recruit footpads, thugs, and poachers at the end. Past that, no complaints. I stockpiled the dwarves in 'Thunedain the Strong' because I assumed recruiting for them would be disabled, but no realproblem there. The dialogue looks good, I noticed a few mistakes, but not much.

Overall I like it. A good, fun, engaging campaign, and looking like it will be just about the right length.

Keep up the good work!

-Liechtenauer
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

If you have levelled up any undead units, you have done a very good thing. These are not lost, they will be returned to you at a later scenario. You will then feel glad about having them on your side! :) You are also somewhat right with the dwarves (I won't reveal more, it will spoil the fun!).

Its nice that you liked the campaign. The second scenario may be a bit laborious, but I have set it in that way because it would not make things difficult. Otherwise just compare the size of your army to that of the enemy!

Thank you for playing "Birth of a Lich".
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Started playing the campaign on easy, could've probably got through the first scenario without recruiting, and the second scenario doesn't look too hard either, if I let my allies take the lead. At least in the 2nd scenario there is actually a point to recruiting
Spoiler:
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Trying this now. Nitpicky: theirs at least 2 typos in the first scenario. "Malfor was trained in combat at a ver young age" "A lot of many elders have fallen in battle" and "You will perish the more like" (unless that is a figure of speech for the time its set).

Gameplay comments will follow as I play it, though otherwise the intro seems well written, I just though I should point out the nitpick typos others might not be willing to.

Edit 1: Scenario 1 beaten. It was kind of fun, but a bit easy, and the fact your allly keeps carelessly rushing ahead was rather annoying, especially as it meant you 1) Couldn't lure the orcs on land 2) Your allies would charge onto the bridge, often engaging in horrible match-ups and stopping you from getting involved. Overall a decent scenario apart from that, a bit on the easy side but I guess thats how first Scenarios go.

Grammar error in Scenario 2 "Very few people were left for working in the fields". Going onto scenario 2 now
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Thanks for pointing out the grammatical errors. I have got them corrected.

Being not a very good player myself I try to keep scenarios on the easier side always. For this reason I have not widened the channel through which orcs can attack (in the 1st scenario). However if a good number of people feel it annoying I will modify the terrain.

Hope you enjoy the remaining scenarios too. Thank you for playing "Birth of a Lich".
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Read the Judgement, its well written, though like Descent in Darkness this campaign doesn't really explain why its illegal even when used to protect the kingdom.

As for getting my villagers back, I had a Longbowman, but hes not on my recall list. Do I get him back to?
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

WanderingHero wrote:Read the Judgement, its well written, though like Descent in Darkness this campaign doesn't really explain why its illegal even when used to protect the kingdom.

As for getting my villagers back, I had a Longbowman, but hes not on my recall list. Do I get him back to?
As far I can deduce from the mainline campaigns necromancy is largely regarded as a taboo in Wesnoth, probably from the time of Haldric I itself! For some reason even dwarves and elves hate this form of magic. The most suitable explanation is that everyone is afraid of the undead (even in modern times)!

I am sorry that your Longbowman will be lost. All loyalist units are lost forever from scenario 4. Only outlaw units (level 1 & above) are retained for sometime. :(
alluton

Post by alluton »

Indeed undead are found scary and in-human,for good reason, so raising them is probhited. Also the use of dark magic doesn't seem to do good to their masters either. Propbly because of those 2 reasons it is considered illegal. Anyway dead raising dead back from their graves isn't very etchical way of getting servants.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Played more of the campaign its pretty cool. I found the bowman thing unfair though. Just because I choose the more powerful class when I promoted a woodsman I lost him forever?

It also takes quite a while for the player to get back their undead, something that might disappoint some people. And this campaign seems just a bit "inspired" from descent into darkness, though with more reasonable characters.

But I do look forward to the rest of it.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Two more scenarios have been uploaded. Please update your add-ons.
I have spent much time to level scenario 8 and make it enjoyable. I expect that after completing it you will get a sense of satisfaction. Please let me know whether its difficulty is optimal or some more adjustments are needed. And those of you who were upset after losing their undead will be happy once more in scenario 9, I guess!

Enjoy playing "Birth of a Lich". I will be back soon with the other scenarios.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Scenarios 10 and 11 have been uploaded. Please update your add-ons.
Enjoy playing "Birth of a Lich", and don't forget to post your feedback here, which will enable me to improve the campaign! :)
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

One problem and prehaps a reason why you haven't got further feedback.

I tried to load my old save after updating (I completed Friend In Need, the scenario where you team up bandits to drive off the lizards) and I got ErrorL Unkown Unit Bl Dark Sorcerer (I had a a Dark Sorc and Sorcess, the Sorc very close to promotion). Did you do something to the units?

I could replay the scenario but i dont want to go through it again, or lose my near lich dark mage (he was 5 exp off!).
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

WanderingHero wrote:One problem and prehaps a reason why you haven't got further feedback.

I tried to load my old save after updating (I completed Friend In Need, the scenario where you team up bandits to drive off the lizards) and I got ErrorL Unkown Unit Bl Dark Sorcerer (I had a a Dark Sorc and Sorcess, the Sorc very close to promotion). Did you do something to the units?

I could replay the scenario but i dont want to go through it again, or lose my near lich dark mage (he was 5 exp off!).
I am sorry. I had modified the code of some scenarios starting from scenario 4 in order to make certain accommodations. Please download the following .cfg files and paste it in "Battle for Wesnoth/userdata/data/add-ons/Birth_of_a_Lich/units". It will make the dark sorcerer available again.
Actually I had removed those 2 files and made some changes to ensure that the dark sorcerers cannot advance to liches before the scenario from where you can recruit only undead units.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused. :(
Attachments
dark-sorcerer.cfg
(283 Bytes) Downloaded 675 times
dark-adept.cfg
(205 Bytes) Downloaded 710 times
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Scenario 12 has been uploaded, and thus the campaign has been completed. Please update your add-ons.
Some minor changes may be made sometime soon, which I will mention in this forum. Please provide your feedback about the pros and cons of this campaign.
Enjoy playing "Birth of a Lich". :)