Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by sergey »

Adamant14, I compared 7 hex vs 8 hex enemy castle. It was easier, but I can't say it made a critical difference. The 7 hex variant is more forgiving, especially when player moves closer to the enemy keep and enemy has gold for recruitment. I was not trying to play the best way, the idea was to play in a very similar way. I have written down and recruited the same units during both attempts. I was not trying to promote Antar and I didn't use lvl 0 units at all, otherwise it would took more time for planning. For the 7 hex castle I set enemy starting gold to 1380.
Attachments
ASoR-Attack Of The Undead replay-8 hex.gz
(66.24 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
ASoR-Attack Of The Undead replay-7 hex.gz
(61.92 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

In scenario 12's choice of castles, the menu for the elves is missing a [show_if] for the right_castle, and you can put both dwarves and elves on that side.

I have a bug that I suspect is either the engine or another mod: if I load the turn 1 auto-save, although I can choose castles and castle_chosen is set to yes, the objectives don't update.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

@ Sergey: Thank you for testing, and sharing your replays. I haven't watched your replays yet, but I will as soon as I find a little time. And then I guess I have to think about it again. :)
octalot wrote: May 24th, 2019, 12:44 am In scenario 12's choice of castles, the menu for the elves is missing a [show_if] for the right_castle, and you can put both dwarves and elves on that side.
I've made some changes to this event recently, and it seems I was a bit sloppy. Thank you for noticing this. Fixed.
octalot wrote: May 24th, 2019, 12:44 am I have a bug that I suspect is either the engine or another mod: if I load the turn 1 auto-save, although I can choose castles and castle_chosen is set to yes, the objectives don't update.
After fixing the issue mentioned above, I am not able to reproduce this behaviour.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

For the first scenario, I suggest adding a movement animation for Rheor when he is leaving.

As a side note, I'm creating the replay topics right now. Please point any mistakes in the scenario names out. I don't have saves from this campaign, so I just have to hope that the file names and their order is correct. (Please do add the scenario number to the scenario names shown in the debug mode though. It looks better that way.)
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Thank you for that.
Konrad2 wrote: June 13th, 2019, 1:17 pm As a side note, I'm creating the replay topics right now. Please point any mistakes in the scenario names out.
'The Dwarves' is an old name for scenario 8, the scenario is now named 'Meeting The Dwarven King"

Konrad2 wrote: June 13th, 2019, 1:17 pm Please do add the scenario number to the scenario names shown in the debug mode though. It looks better that way.)
OK, I will change that with the next update. Sadly renaming the scenario id's will break all old save loads.

Konrad2 wrote: June 13th, 2019, 1:17 pm For the first scenario, I suggest adding a movement animation for Rheor when he is leaving.
You are right, I think so too. I tried to add such an animation years ago, but ...

Lord Rheor leaves with a whole army, and the game can not move multiple units at once, just one at a time. And so it will look stupid, and boring too, when unit for unit, for unit, for unit, for unit, ... moves across the map.

And when I decide to let Lord Rheor, symbolically for a whole army, move alone across the map, that will looks unperfect too, especially because his sprite is unmounted.

That's why there is no such movement animation.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: June 13th, 2019, 3:20 pm And when I decide to let Lord Rheor, symbolically for a whole army, move alone across the map, that will looks unperfect too, especially because his sprite is unmounted.
I don't think that's actually a problem since he surely isn't taking only the mounted part of his army with him. Nor would the player expect him to do so. Therefor his army can't move faster than his unmounted self anyway.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Konrad2 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm
Adamant14 wrote: June 13th, 2019, 3:20 pm And when I decide to let Lord Rheor, symbolically for a whole army, move alone across the map, that will looks unperfect too, especially because his sprite is unmounted.
I don't think that's actually a problem since he surely isn't taking only the mounted part of his army with him. Nor would the player expect him to do so. Therefor his army can't move faster than his unmounted self anyway.
I believe that Adamant here wanted to point out that Rheor is a lord, and that lords just don't go without a horse.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Except almost every Lord in Wesnoth. :D
AHoppe

Post by AHoppe »

Hi folks,

I have a problem playing scenario 12 - Volcano Mountain. I use BoW 1.14.5 and ASoR 1.13.30

I killed to orc leaders but no death knight appeared. There is no death knight from the beginning of the scenario, although the good sides speak about them.

After killing the third orc leader, all orcs and trolls and the four revenants, which stand the whole time in the two fortresses, the scenario is still running. Standing on the entrance to Mal Kazar doesn't end scenario, too.

What can I try to solve the problem?

Greetings

Andreas
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Hi Andreas,
thank you very much for this bug-report.

A new version, hopefully bug-free, is on the server.
After updating your version of Antar, Son of Rheor, you should be able to finish the campaign. But unfortunately you have to play the scenario Volcano Mountain again from the start (ASoR-The Volcano Mountain.gz)
AHoppe

Post by AHoppe »

Thank you very much, now the death knights are in their keeps.

I killed the orcs once, I kill them twice, thats no problem. :-)

Greetings

Andreas
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

In The Volcano Mountain there is actually a way to kill the undead leaders before you kill two orc leaders. That makes the job much easier. You are missing a moveto event.

EDIT: Antar and Gelphrad just level up to the same units they were: Antar-Master at Arms -> Antar-Master at Arms, White Mage ->White mage.

EDIT 2: In description of Dwarvish High Alchemist says "Image not found".
AHoppe

Post by AHoppe »

I do not know if it is a bug or not:

The two death knights summon units from the beginning and they do not stay at their side of the river until two orc leaders are killed.

The undead cross the river at a time before one orc leader was killed. At intermediate level this is not really a problem and the scenario is good playable. :-)
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Death Squire can go in the deep water, but he doesn't have submerge ability.
Siegemauler is undead, but has resistances like human.

EDIT: Don't let em reach the cave -> cave.

EDIT 2: It seems like Gomdring can recruit limited amount of steelclads, and then lose them in the recruit list, and they later appear.

EDIT 3: The crystal seems to not have any resistances and they don't appear even in the description menu.
When a vampire kills someone with plague attack, WC appears on that place. Should it be that way?

EDIT 4: Gelphrad is enhanced with energy, and he can attack again and again like a berserk. Somehow that doesn't work if Dagor isn't next to him.

EDIT 5: menance -> menace
Gelphrads -> Gelphrad's

What happpened to Rheor?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

EarthCake wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 10:29 pmIn The Volcano Mountain there is actually a way to kill the undead leaders before you kill two orc leaders. That makes the job much easier. You are missing a moveto event.
There was actually such a moveto event, but by mistake I set radius=7, instead of radius=17
That moveto event does at the players turn, it will activate both Death Knight not until their turns, and for that reason the player was able to snipe them.

Thank you for noticing that, fixed

AHoppe wrote: June 24th, 2019, 4:37 am I do not know if it is a bug or not:

The two death knights summon units from the beginning and they do not stay at their side of the river until two orc leaders are killed.

The undead cross the river at a time before one orc leader was killed. At intermediate level this is not really a problem and the scenario is good playable. :-)
That is not intended. Recently I tested out some different code on this scenario, and it seems I was sloppy, and have messed up the scenario.
That has caused the last bug you have reported, and that bug too.

Thank you for noticing, fixed

PS. Do you think it would be a benefit for the fun of playing the scenario, when the Undead start their attack earlier, lets say, after the first Orc is defeated?

EarthCake wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 10:29 pm In description of Dwarvish High Alchemist says "Image not found".

EarthCake wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm Death Squire can go in the deep water, but he doesn't have submerge ability.

EarthCake wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm Siegemauler is undead, but has resistances like human.

EarthCake wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm When a vampire kills someone with plague attack, WC appears on that place. Should it be that way?
EDIT:
After checking the code, that is intended. But the Vampire have no unit description, and no special notes.
I have to add that, for the player.

EarthCake wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm Death Squire can go in the deep water, but he doesn't have submerge ability.
Don't let em reach the cave -> cave.
What is wrong here? A fullstop instead of the exclamation mark?

EarthCake wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm EDIT 3: The crystal seems to not have any resistances and they don't appear even in the description menu.
Oh yes, that is already on my todo-list. I have to fix that.

EarthCake wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm Gelphrad is enhanced with energy, and he can attack again and again like a berserk. Somehow that doesn't work if Dagor isn't next to him.
If Dagor is not there to heal him, then Gelphrad will die when he attacks the Crystal like a Berserker. Do you still think it is a good idea to change that? :hmm:

EarthCake wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm What happpened to Rheor?
At some point I wanted to put in another surprise, namely that our heroes meet the undead Lord Rheor, and unfortunately have to defeat him. But I'll probably never do that, I should better just declare him as dead in Scenario 3.

EarthCake wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:03 pm It seems like Gomdring can recruit limited amount of steelclads, and then lose them in the recruit list, and they later appear.
Are you sure about that? How you have noticed that?
Gomdring is allowed to recall units from his previous scenarios, maybe he just recalled from his recall-list?

EarthCake wrote: June 23rd, 2019, 10:29 pm Antar and Gelphrad just level up to the same units they were: Antar-Master at Arms -> Antar-Master at Arms, White Mage ->White mage.
Antar level 3 and Antar level 4 do use the same sprites, they just have different stats.

Gelphrad is different. Because he is a student, I want him to make progress very slow, to make sure that he is not earlier Mage of Light than his teacher. That would be weird.
He advances two times up to White Mage, but the second time with better stats, and illumination.
Ruffian > Initiate > Mage > White Mage > White Mage > Mage of Light