Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Post by Konrad2 »

cleave
only on offensive -> only on offensive.

S1
Am I supposed to be able to move on the underwater rock? 14,21

Careonryn is not raised as WC if he is killed by a WC.

As Long as -> As long as

S2
A Undead -> An Undead

My ally is unable to trigger village events.

When I kill the enemy leader a couple of the enemy units die (the death animation happens), but the rest only disappears.

a few Month ago -> a few months ago

you,will -> you, will

intrusted in us -> (in)trusted us with

S3
Ability Protector
Protector -> protector
The description does not say that Garulf has to be next to Grimbold, nor that it is defense only.
It also does not mention that Grimbold loses a hitpoint every time he uses it.
Attachments
This time nothing was said.
This time nothing was said.
This happens right after my general comments about some sound.
This happens right after my general comments about some sound.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm S1
Am I supposed to be able to move on the underwater rock? 14,21
The underwater rock is just for decoration, nothing else. The rock is in flat water, so there is no reason to make him impassable.

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm Careonryn is not raised as WC if he is killed by a WC.
Uff, I never noticed that. I have to take a look. :doh:

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm My ally is unable to trigger village events.
That is intended, the surprises are reserved for the player.

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm When I kill the enemy leader a couple of the enemy units die (the death animation happens), but the rest only disappears.
Intended too. Long ago someone complained about that it is boring to watch all the death animations, especially when there are a lot of undead left on the field, so I changed that so that the animation shows up only for the first few undead.

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm The description does not say that Garulf has to be next to Grimbold, nor that it is defense only.
Thanks for the hint.

About the LUA error in scenario 3 (Lord Othar):
I have noticed that error message the first time playing with BfW 1.15.6, while the error wasn't there when I play with BfW 1.15.2.
(1.15.2 and 1.15.6 are the only two development versions I have installed, so I can not tell when exactly the error message first time appeared.)
Sadly I have no Idea what causes the error message, and how to fix it. :hmm:

Since I have made a few changes since your last play through, so I would be happy to receive up-to-date replays. :whistle:
I am especially interested to see how players handle Gelphrads new ability.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Here are my replays so far. But FTR, I have never played the campaign (I did not go beyond the first scenario I think?), though I might have maybe played it partially on 1.12 or 1.10..? I'm not sure.

Through the Goblin Hills claims to have an early finish bonus...which is 0 gold per turn.

The Elvish Outpost is totally not Barag Gor.

orkish -> orcish

The ranged animation of your elvish hunters seems to be missing/wrong. When the allied Elvish Captain talks, the portrait is missing.
Attachments
ASoR-Through The Goblin Hills replay 20201228-231056.gz
(59.62 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
ASoR-Attack Of The Undead replay 20201228-192721.gz
(48.21 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
ASoR-Lord Veogwyn replay 20201228-203739.gz
(65.98 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
ASoR-Lord Othar replay 20201228-224425.gz
(61.41 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Adamant14 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 8:40 pm About the LUA error in scenario 3 (Lord Othar):
I have noticed that error message the first time playing with BfW 1.15.6, while the error wasn't there when I play with BfW 1.15.2.
(1.15.2 and 1.15.6 are the only two development versions I have installed, so I can not tell when exactly the error message first time appeared.)
Create a copy of the scenario and strip the code down until you no longer get the error.
Probably a variable name is assigned $something somewhere

Edit:
This might be it.
./scenarios/03_Lord_Othar.cfg: {CLEAR_VARIABLE $wolf_dwarf_fog_x}
./scenarios/03_Lord_Othar.cfg: {CLEAR_VARIABLE $wolf_dwarf_fog_y}
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S5
You can not but Orc rabble. -> ...what?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm cleave
only on offensive -> only on offensive.
fixed

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm As Long as -> As long as
fixed

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm A Undead -> An Undead
fixed

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm a few Month ago -> a few months ago
fixed

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm you,will -> you, will
fixed

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm intrusted in us -> (in)trusted us with
fixed

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm orkish -> orcish
fixed

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm When the allied Elvish Captain talks, the portrait is missing
That happens because I have used a portrait from the formerly mainline campaign Legend of Wesmere. LOW was removed with BfW 1.15.4, and because of that the image was no longer available for my campaign. Will be fixed with soon.

vghetto wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:55 pm Probably a variable name is assigned $something somewhere

This might be it.
Thank you for looking into it, I will check that as soon as I have a little time.

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm S5
You can not but Orc rabble. -> ...what?
fixed (You can not be trusted Orc rabble.)

Thank you for noticing all that errors.
And thanks for the replays, very interesting, and really impressive how you manage to level up units efficiently and quickly.
And the way you use Gelphrad makes me wonder if his ability isn't too overpowered?

Edit:
Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:31 pm The description does not say that Garulf has to be next to Grimbold, nor that it is defense only.
Old: Grimbold can protect Garulf with his mighty shield.
New: If next to him, Grimbold can protect Garulf with his mighty shield (only on defense).

New Special Note: Grimbold can protect Garulf with his mighty shield. +25% bonus to all resistances for Garulf (up to a maximum of 80%). This only works when the unit is next to Garulf, and only on defense. But note, Grimbold will take damage if he defends Garulf!
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Adamant14 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 11:53 am That happens because I have used a portrait from the formerly mainline campaign Legend of Wesmere. LOW was removed with BfW 1.15.4, and because of that the image was no longer available for my campaign. Will be fixed with soon.
Are you sure that you don't mean AOI?
Old: Grimbold can protect Garulf with his mighty shield.
New: If next to him, Grimbold can protect Garulf with his mighty shield (only on defense).

New Special Note: Grimbold can protect Garulf with his mighty shield. +25% bonus to all resistances for Garulf (up to a maximum of 80%). This only works when the unit is next to Garulf, and only on defense. But note, Grimbold will take damage if he defends Garulf!
Sounds good to me.
And thanks for the replays, very interesting, and really impressive how you manage to level up units efficiently and quickly.
And the way you use Gelphrad makes me wonder if his ability isn't too overpowered?
...maybe? xD I do like it though, although it's not really clear how exactly it works. Like, when does it summon illusions, how many, where? (But it works well enough.)

Thanks for the compliment.
Through the Goblin Hills claims to have an early finish bonus...which is 0 gold per turn.
I think this one was overlooked. Another option would be 100% carryover, no finish bonus.

FTR, there is at least one more mention of 'Ork' instead of 'Orc', by the dwarvish hero when he kills an orc. There might be more though.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

vghetto wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:55 pm
Adamant14 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 8:40 pm About the LUA error in scenario 3 (Lord Othar):
Probably a variable name is assigned $something somewhere

Edit:
This might be it.
Yes, that was it, the error message is gone. Thanks again for looking into the code, your hint was very helpful.
Seems it was my fault, I must have added that lines sometime. :whistle:

Konrad2 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 4:21 pm
Adamant14 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 11:53 am That happens because I have used a portrait from the formerly mainline campaign Legend of Wesmere. LOW was removed with BfW 1.15.4, and because of that the image was no longer available for my campaign. Will be fixed with soon.
Are you sure that you don't mean AOI?
Yes. :P

Konrad2 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 4:21 pm Through the Goblin Hills claims to have an early finish bonus...which is 0 gold per turn.

I think this one was overlooked. Another option would be 100% carryover, no finish bonus.
100% carryover will result in much more starting gold in the following scenario.
But you are right, bonus makes absolute no sense here.

Konrad2 wrote: December 29th, 2020, 4:21 pm FTR, there is at least one more mention of 'Ork' instead of 'Orc', by the dwarvish hero when he kills an orc. There might be more though.
Then I'll have to look again.

I hope you share the remaining replays. ^_^
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

S6
weary of the dangers -> wary

Why do my units demand upkeep? :(
Attachments
ASoR-The Elvish Outpost replay 20201230-095559.gz
(96.53 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:58 am S6
weary of the dangers -> wary
fixed

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:58 am S6
Why do my units demand upkeep? :(
The map has a few villages, and a hidden treasure to find.
Scenario 04 Through the Goblin Hills has no villages at all, and no other income, so I decided to make all units upkeep free. Just for gameplay reasons. A story wise ugly solution, but in lack of a better solution the best solution.

Konrad2 wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:47 pm The ranged animation of your elvish hunters seems to be missing/wrong.
The Elvish Hunters (level 1) should display a ranged attack animation.
The level 2 and level 3 advancements (Elvish Trapper, Elvish Prowler) of the Elvish Hunter sadly has no both no animations at all.
Are you sure you mean the Elvish Hunter, or maybe on of his advancements?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I mean both the Hunter and its advancements. :/
(FTR, I'm comparing the animation with the animation seen in IftU or AtS.)

Revenge
Just has been -> Justice has been
ashes, We -> ashes, we

The Dwarven King
Restoring 'destroyed' undead does not take any variations of WC into account. (Dwarven WC is raised as human WC, colored WC is raised as normal WC while losing its name.)

outsid -> outside
insid -> inside

Skilled White Mage has no melee animation.

Elves Underground
ends of the Earth -> ends of Irdya
Attachments
ASoR-The Dwarven King replay 20201230-160916.gz
(110.08 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
ASoR-Dwarven Pass replay 20201230-142055.gz
(60.53 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
ASoR-Revenge replay 20201230-145704.gz
(124.15 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm I mean both the Hunter and its advancements. :/
(FTR, I'm comparing the animation with the animation seen in IftU or AtS.)
Years ago I have taken these units from IftU, but apparently from an now outdated version.
Fixed.

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm Revenge
Just has been -> Justice has been
ashes, We -> ashes, we
Fixed.

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm The Dwarven King
Restoring 'destroyed' undead does not take any variations of WC into account. (Dwarven WC is raised as human WC, colored WC is raised as normal WC while losing its name.)
I was not satisfied with the part anyway, and was considering about removing it entirely. A lot of effort for a little effect. I think I will remove that part without replacement.

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm The Dwarven King
outsid -> outside
insid -> inside
Fixed.

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm Skilled White Mage has no melee animation.
Good catch, fixed.

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm IElves Underground
ends of the Earth -> ends of Irdya
Of course, fixed.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Sword of Creeping Death causes the unit to lose it's melee animation.

...did you create a weapon special that has the same function as poison?

If you don't find the first blood splatter, the others won't trigger any dialog.

Ogres can't advance to Great Orgres, and your Great Ogres are missing an AMLA tag, so they can't gain any xp.
Attachments
ASoR-Elves Underground replay 20201230-215729.gz
(66.9 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:51 pm Sword of Creeping Death causes the unit to lose it's melee animation.

...did you create a weapon special that has the same function as poison?
Should be fixed now, thank you for noticing.

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:51 pm If you don't find the first blood splatter, the others won't trigger any dialog.
These two lines of dialogue aren't that important, shouldn't be a problem if the player misses them.

Konrad2 wrote: December 30th, 2020, 8:51 pm Ogres can't advance to Great Orgres, and your Great Ogres are missing an AMLA tag, so they can't gain any xp.
Fixed, thank you.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Back to the Light
'Killing' the Ogre leader only gives fight xp instead of kill xp.

The Dungeon
There is a skeleton image on 20,2 which is a stone wall.

Why are the Cursed Rocks Undead instead of Elemental? (Both Race and Trait.)

Once you've saved the book the Cursed Rocks have no idea what they are supposed to do.

In general you created more weapon specials/abilities than you had to.
Examples:
Sword of Creeping Death = poison
sword of eternal fire = change the name of the weapon and and the damage type
ring of might = ... that one is actually fair. Although you could also just change the stats without immortalizing it in the abilites.

Probably the armors, the ring of speed, and some Amulett that lets me deal arcane damage. I am actually not able to see those abilities because my screen isn't big enough. :/

Volcano mountain
suitet -> suited

Skilled White Mage has 'flail' as melee attack, but he is using a staff.
Attachments
ASoR-Back To The Light replay 20201231-113410.gz
(73.97 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
ASoR-The Dungeon replay 20201231-121125.gz
(73.45 KiB) Downloaded 171 times