Legend of Far North:SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chak_abhi

Re: Legend of Far North:SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by chak_abhi »

gooby wrote:Dark Journey is kind of excessively tough.
Which difficulty are you playing on? I have tested it on medium, the hard one is a little more difficult. In any case you must recruit a lot of Orcish Grunts to use them as meat shields. They cost only 12 gold, and with a little luck you can level up quite a few of them here. The Shaman gets high defence in villages which you can use to your advantage. The pool of water can also be used to ones advantage.
I am posting a replay. You may find it useful. Please continue playing "Legend of Far North".
Attachments
LFN-Dark_Journey_replay.gz
(29.83 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
gooby

Post by gooby »

I played it on Normal.

The reason I find this scenario strangely difficult was because the scenarios before it were quite easy.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

gooby wrote:I played it on Normal.

The reason I find this scenario strangely difficult was because the scenarios before it were quite easy.
Yeah, its somewhat correct that the previous scenarios were much easier. But at some point you must face certain challenges. Here it comes not before the 4th scenario, and it is presumed you have accumulated a few veterans and some wealth by now. Even if you have to sacrifice a veteran here you will gain more veteran units, so the balance is tilted on your favour. There are more difficult scenarios coming up. So keep your cool and enjoy playing "Legend of Far North" :) .
Sulik

Post by Sulik »

Hello chak_abhi,

today i have finished "Legend of Far North" and i really enjoyed it. Story and dialogs were quiet fine.

But i have faced some mistakes in dates of capaign. From timeline of Wesnoth and "Son of the Black Eye" http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Timeline_of_Wesnoth
i know that SofBE starts in 842 YW. Your campaign starts in 897 YW. Thats weird if Kapoue i son of Karun. At the end Karun dies in 816 YW. Many dates in your campaign are wrong.

I expected that Shan Taum would take bigger part of campaign. I haven't got any new things about him since SotBE.

Scenario 4 "Dark Journey". Map is wrongly projected. Caves are to thin in some places and trolls slow down mine forces too much, that i had troubles to finish it.
chak_abhi wrote:The portrait used for Karun belongs to one of the greatest leaders of medieval India--Shivaji.He too united many warring tribes and led them to victory against the oppressive Mughal emperor Aurangzeb.So I thought that his portrait would be the most appropriate for Karun. The portrait of Blemaker is that of a typical mountain troll!
Because of that portrait i almost kicked away this campaign, which is quiet well made. I shared info about LoFR with my friends and they said the same, that this portrait dicouraged them to play. Sorry but orc is an orc, and human is a human. Even portrait of orcish crossbowman would be better. If you put portrait of Elf instead of Shivaji, that would make same reactions for it - discouragement.

I have hope that i would see your campaign in mineline. It deserves when would be fixed and polished. I give it 8+/10.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Thanks for the review. Actually I am not getting time to devote on Wesnoth at present.
About the timeline error I will surely correct these as soon as possible.
Portraits are a real problem. It is very difficult to get one. Anyway I will try to change the portrait of Karun.

It is nice that you enjoyed playing "LFN" :) . I will expect more feedback from you once I put more changes in the campaign.
DingoSaar

Post by DingoSaar »

Dear chak-abhi,

I am currently playing "Legend of Far North". Here my answers so far:

1.What version of Wesnoth have you used to play this campaign?

games-strategy/wesnoth-1.10.7::gentoo

2.On what difficulties have you played this campaign?

Easy (I am not an experienced gamer)

3.How do you rate the difficulty of this campaign in general?(1-10)

Ahem... Fair, on the easy side. It could be more challenging. Probably that translates to 2?

4.Which portions of the campaign do you find to be too easy or too hard that may need to be rebalanced?

I just finished "Start of the War" and am still evaluating. I do not consider myself experienced enough to make a comment here, désolé. :-(

5.How do you find the storyline and the conversation of the campaign?

I love it!

I would, however, give Karun's father another by-name; Karun was "the Black Eye" because that sets him apart from others of his lineage. The "Black Eye"-name should start with him.

His father, I would consider something like Phillip of Macedonia in relation to Alexander the Great.

I especially love that you set ancient India as a "role model" for the Wesnoth orcs; "standard" Eurocentric fare like bushido as model for the Klingon society now just seems too well-known to be exotic. Also, your choice of Burma villages as model for orcish cities is a great idea!!!

6.What changes do you think may be made to make the campaign more interesting?

That's why I am writing now - I think you should be able to give the allies in "Start of the War" the same options as in other SP Campaigns, this "Objective / Behaviour" model ("Protect [ally] / Defeat [opponent]" and "Be more aggressive / defensive").

I would prefer to be able to recruit "Shaman Apprentices" who become shamans who become Shamanic Council Members.

What do you think of these shamans being Goblins instead of Orcs? Then, you could convert the two fore-stages quite easily from Saurian augurs and soothsayers.

BTW, the current "Shaman" is not listed in http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/Legend_of ... North.html, there, only the "Cave Serpent" is listed.

I hope someone can take your picture stand-ins and convert them to Wesnoth-style paintings; this would eg. also solve the problem with the Shivaji portrait. An illustrator doubtlessly could make a picture of an orc based on the portrait you chose. Some of the "orc city" pictures still have a "GoodNewsTravelMyanmar.com" or some such watermark on them.

What I ESPECIALLY like in this campaign is that it offers an easier introduction to playing the orc fraction. I tried "Son of the Black Eye", and just was frustrated (I have already finished "Under the Burning Sun", which is considered Expert, and to me, it seemed a lot easier).

Therefore, and because you give an excellent treatment of the "Black Eye"-Backstory, I strongly favour this campaign to become mainline after the quirks and knots are worked out.

Yours sincerely,
Dingo
F.R.G.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Dear DingoSaar,
Thank you for playing "Legend of the Far North". It is good that you have found it interesting.
There are many drawbacks of this campaign, the least of which is the unavailability of proper portraits for the hero characters. Initially the campaign was too straightforward, and the changes which I had introduced 2 years back had given some variability to the campaign. I wish to introduce more changes, but at present I am just not getting enough time for this. :(
Please continue playing the campaign and providing your suggestions for improvement. I will keep them in mind when I will prepare the future editions.
Enjoy laying "Legend of the Far North"! :)
Deki

Post by Deki »

Interesting campaign, but it really misses caracter portraits. It is hard to blend with the story with Orc leader having image of human historical character.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

sedmi_patuljak wrote:Interesting campaign, but it really misses caracter portraits. It is hard to blend with the story with Orc leader having image of human historical character.
Right you are, friend. I assure you that I will change the portraits as soon as I get proper substitutes.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

"Legend of Far North" for BfW 1.12.0 is out. Please download it from the add-ons server.
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Hello
I am indian too but i think you can replace karun's portrait with LordBob's alternate orc leader portrait. Nice campagin, stuck on Northern Alliance, i have not finished but am in an ok position
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

gweddeoran wrote:Hello
I am indian too but i think you can replace karun's portrait with LordBob's alternate orc leader portrait. Nice campagin, stuck on Northern Alliance, i have not finished but am in an ok position
Thanks for your suggestion. Where can I find the portrait?
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

It is here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=285
(the one with the beard and skulls, like a odd human)
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Thanks a lot. I will implement it soon.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

I am sorry for too late as gives my feedback. :) I've finished this campaign on March 2017 before I'm off to play IftU by shadowm for first time.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)