Legend of Far North:SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chak_abhi

Re: Legend of Far North:SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by chak_abhi »

Scenarios 17 and 18 have been uploaded and the campaign is complete. Please update your add-ons.
I thank everyone on the Wesnoth community who have helped me to create the campaign.
No tracking map has yet been composed as I don't have the slightest idea how to do it (the article on track-placer goes over my head! :))

The portraits are also not proper. I will be grateful to the person(s) who can provide me proper portraits for the main characters at least.

Hope you all have enjoyed playing "Legend of Far North". Please provide feedback on this forum on how to make this better.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I finished your campaign a week ago, and here's my review.
I previously commented on the first 7 scenarios, so I will continue on the rest.
All the scenarios are balanced and have good gameplay except the following:
Scenario 8: Start of the War Indrajit is a sitting duck, so the pressure of fighting on the humans, fell solely on me. Shan Taum helped out as a fodder shield. I strongly suggest the use of an AI controller option or edit Indrajit's AI.
Scenario 16: The Counter Attack Indrajit and ShanTaum are worthless. They go on suicidical charges and end activating the level 3s. It would be better to allow the player to control these 2 sides. And also the arrival of Rahul I failed, resulting in a set of queer victory dialog.

Good campaign overall. I give an 8 out of a 10. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: Scenario 8: Start of the War Indrajit is a sitting duck, so the pressure of fighting on the humans, fell solely on me. Shan Taum helped out as a fodder shield. I strongly suggest the use of an AI controller option or edit Indrajit's AI.
I too faced this problem. Unfortunately I don't know why this thing occurred. Anyway I will try modifying the WML so that Indrajit becomes a bit more aggressive.
Scenario 16: The Counter Attack Indrajit and ShanTaum are worthless. They go on suicidical charges and end activating the level 3s. It would be better to allow the player to control these 2 sides. And also the arrival of Rahul I failed, resulting in a set of queer victory dialog.
I also think that allowing the player to control certain aspects of the behaviour of AI allied sides will be good. I will work on this.
I thought the code I used would prevent the main enemy (Earl Alaud) from dying till Rahul I arrives.

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=turns 6-20
    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=1 id="Earl Alaud" 0 ()}
    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=2 id="Earl Alaud" 0 ()}
    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=3 id="Earl Alaud" 0 ()}

[/event]
Evidently its not working if you have managed to kill him beforehand. But I must say you have played very well if you have killed him so early, I did it at about turn 30 or so.
Good campaign overall. I give an 8 out of a 10. :D
Thanks for playing the campaign and posting a review. I don't know why this campaign has not been reviewed by more players (unlike my former campaign). At least I can know whats wrong :? !
Thanks once more for playing "Legend of Far North". :)
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

LFN V1.0.1 has been released. It includes quite a few bug fixes. Please update your add-ons and enjoy playing "Legend of Far North".
rantoni34

Post by rantoni34 »

I found something from the campaign that result on altering the mainline story, which is:

In the very first campaign's introduction narration, "He also was the first among orcish rulers to create an advisory committee of three members to guide him in various matters. The committee members were not mighty warlords, but orcs with cool heads and clear visions, who also had substantial knowledge of orcish history, herbal lore, and magic. They were called the Orcish shamans."

Well I'm okay with the naming system (cause I believe that's the authors' right) but the narration above brings some trouble to my mind:

1. The shamans were believed to be formed long before any known and recorded warlords see this explanation in the 'Orc's Society' which said "The oldest orcs are often shamans, which are perhaps the only ones their kind sees as trustworthy and neutral. The origin of this custom are UNKNOWN, as the shamans do not directly contribute much to orcish societies but only act as advisers- not something orcs tend to otherwise tolerate."
2. Even if Ravanam (Karun's grandfather) was the one who create the Shaman Advisory Committee (SAC), why would Shaum Taum (Karun's rival) accept it ??? and was it not Shaun Taum who killed the shamans in the SoTBE campaign ???
3. Many other miscellaneous thing which will only result on the same argument

Maybe this is not my place to say this but please (also for all the story-writers out there), if you want to create a sequel or a prequel of an established campaigns, at least make attention to not 'alter' the flow of history (especially if it was a mainline campaign).
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

rantoni34 wrote:I found something from the campaign that result on altering the mainline story, which is:

In the very first campaign's introduction narration, "He also was the first among orcish rulers to create an advisory committee of three members to guide him in various matters. The committee members were not mighty warlords, but orcs with cool heads and clear visions, who also had substantial knowledge of orcish history, herbal lore, and magic. They were called the Orcish shamans."

Well I'm okay with the naming system (cause I believe that's the authors' right) but the narration above brings some trouble to my mind:

1. The shamans were believed to be formed long before any known and recorded warlords see this explanation in the 'Orc's Society' which said "The oldest orcs are often shamans, which are perhaps the only ones their kind sees as trustworthy and neutral. The origin of this custom are UNKNOWN, as the shamans do not directly contribute much to orcish societies but only act as advisers- not something orcs tend to otherwise tolerate."
I never mentioned that Ravanam created the Shamans. The Shamans were present long before orcish history was recorded for the first time. They were physically frail, but had the above mentioned abilities. However the orcish society was based purely on raw strength, and quite naturally the Shamans were ignored for decision making most of the time. And yes, they were old, and even the "Young Orcish Shaman" was not actually young!
2. Even if Ravanam (Karun's grandfather) was the one who create the Shaman Advisory Committee (SAC), why would Shaum Taum (Karun's rival) accept it ??? and was it not Shaun Taum who killed the shamans in the SoTBE campaign ???
Ravanam brought only a few orcish tribes under his control. Shan Taum was much younger and a lot less experienced than him in direct combat, for which he didn't dare to face Ravanam when he was at his prime. Only when he received the news of the tragedy of Castelfranc he jumped into the arena and started attacking other chiefs. He never accepted the Shamans, but didn't have the courage to raise his voice against the mighty Ravanam. So after Ravanam's fall he attacked Barag Gor. The following dialogue must convince you:

Code: Select all

[message]
    speaker=Dhanu
    message= _ "I am really getting sick of such atrocities of Shan Taum.Imagine him attacking us when Ravanam was ruling,he would have been burned alive!Wait,I see another group of orcs,they seem to be coming from Melmog."
    [/message]
    [message]
    speaker=Ghata
    message= _ "Oh,it is Mihir,accompanying Karun,Ravanam's grandson.They are definitely on our side."
    [/message]
    [message]
    speaker=Mihir
    message= _ "Dhanu,Ghata,are you there?Are you safe?"
    [/message]
    [message]
    speaker=Dhanu
    message= _ "Yes,we are safe,but only just.Shan Taum will ensure that."
    [/message]
    [message]
    speaker=Karun
    message= _ "Who the hell is Shan Taum?"
    [/message]
    [message]
    speaker=Shan Taum
    message= _ "I am Shan Taum.I will bring the whole of the orcish territory under my control.Anyone who tries to resist me will be killed.So better stay out if you know what is good for you!"
    [/message]
    [message]
    speaker=Karun
    message= _ "Your arrogance is intolerable!I will see what remains of your big mouth when my forces will have finished with you!To arms,everyone,we need to teach this Shan Taum a lesson!"
    [/message]]
3. Many other miscellaneous thing which will only result on the same argument
Will you please mention any discrepancies? I will correct them as soon as possible.
Maybe this is not my place to say this but please (also for all the story-writers out there), if you want to create a sequel or a prequel of an established campaigns, at least make attention to not 'alter' the flow of history (especially if it was a mainline campaign).
Yes, you are absolutely true. Altering the flow of history would be similar to destroying the very foundations on which the edifice of BfW has been built.

About the names, I must say that nearly all of them has some significance. I won't elaborate this in these forums, but if you are really interested please send a private message to me.

This campaign will be subjected to extensive rework very soon. If you have any suggestion please post them quickly so that I can consider them seriously during the rework.

Thank you for playing "Legend of Far North".
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

chak_abhi wrote:Thanks for playing,as well as for commenting here (I was quite surprised that no one has put up a comment for so many days!)
Lord-Knightmare wrote:
Issues and Suggestions
1. You need to work on your spacing of sentences of the story and dialogues.
This will be done later.
2. Instead of your own portraits, it would be better to use mainline portraits. Karun could use the sovereign portrait.
The portrait used for Karun belongs to one of the greatest leaders of medieval India--Shivaji.He too united many warring tribes and led them to victory against the oppressive Mughal emperor Aurangzeb.So I thought that his portrait would be the most appropriate for Karun. The portrait of Blemaker is that of a typical mountain troll!
Well, but Karun is not a human but an orc, so a portrait of a human does not work for him at all. And Wesnoth's trolls look different.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

I know this friend, but the problem is in absence of good portraits I must use some symbolic portraits. "Orcs" are equivalent to demons (rakshashes) of Indian mythology, but I think you won't be satisfied at all if I post a gruesome portrait of one of them! For this reason I used Shivaji's portrait (a great warrior & patriot who has been demonised by a section of people) to represent Karun.
rantoni34

Post by rantoni34 »

Well as I stated, it's author's right to choose the name of their liking. But I just (maybe some of the people here too) have the mindset that every story should have their culture relatedness. I don't mean that all the name should be a western name, but more too suit the era, for example like the caliphate era's the author make a good thing by creating a more Arabic like names, or in the four moon era each faction have their member's name accordingly (African name for the Highlanders, South American for the Darklanders, and so on, and so forth) so I kind have an inclination to name Orcs with a more Angloic or West-Europe ones (for their myth came from there), but once again I have no objection whatsoever, just stating my point.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

rantoni34 wrote:Well as I stated, it's author's right to choose the name of their liking. But I just (maybe some of the people here too) have the mindset that every story should have their culture relatedness. I don't mean that all the name should be a western name, but more too suit the era, for example like the caliphate era's the author make a good thing by creating a more Arabic like names, or in the four moon era each faction have their member's name accordingly (African name for the Highlanders, South American for the Darklanders, and so on, and so forth) so I kind have an inclination to name Orcs with a more Angloic or West-Europe ones (for their myth came from there), but once again I have no objection whatsoever, just stating my point.
"Orcs" never specifically come from somewhere, they exist in the mythology or folklore of almost all ancient cultures(at least in the ones I myself have come across), only their names are different. Otherwise it is the same group of evil guys fighting for supremacy with the good ones(so called gods). Their characteristics are also the same--strong in body & mind, having wisdom but unfortunately using it for evil purposes, and bloodthirsty, deriving pleasure by killing others.
Do you really think that "orcs" are imaginations of our forefathers? They are only names used to vilify certain groups of people who were adversaries to the ones who thought themselves to be more civilised beings (and considered their own heroes as gods). Even today the situation is no different. People of one country/community portrait the people of other countries/communities as "orcs" (or "trolls", depending on what actually they think of their rivals)!
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Version 1.0.2 has been released. It contains a number of changes.
Spoiler:
Please update your add-ons. I am sure you will like this version. Enjoy playing "Legend of Far North". Any constructive criticism or suggestion is most welcome. :)
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

"Legend of Far North" has been uploaded on 1.11x server. Please check it out and let me know if there are any bugs present.
santec

Post by santec »

Hi. I've played part of the campaign, and I like it.
However, it seems that it is impossible to win the scenario Counterattack. I've tried many times. The problem is that the enemy leaders are invulnerable. I tried to hit them with 3rd level orsc, 3rd level trolls, 2nd level assassins, etc, but when I lose they have still all their hitpoints.
chak_abhi

Post by chak_abhi »

Hi everyone.
Sorry for the delay in replying to your post. In the scenario "Counter-attack" it is possible to kill the enemy leader only after turn 20 (after one more ally turns up). Meanwhile just hold your positions to make sure that when the time comes there will be no looking back! :)
Hope you will enjoy the scenario now. Thanks for playing "Legend of Far North".
gooby

Post by gooby »

Dark Journey is kind of excessively tough.