Undead Campaign: Danse Macabre

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Undead Campaign: Danse Macabre

Post by Konrad2 »

Just a small thing, Zombies from Lvl 2 and upwards still use old and/or less complete variations of the base unit.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Uhm, are you talking about sprites? I know that some level 0 and 1 zombies have got new sprites during 1.13. Updating the custom higher level ones is on to-do list (but I will probably just ask in Art Workshop section, I am terrible at art myself).
If it is something else, can you elaborate?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That's exactly what I meant. :)
(Base sprite and variations of it)
And updating the higher level ones is probably just recoloring the lvl 1 sprite.
James_The_Invisible

@Belgara Oh, I just realised that it is handled in 2 places and I have fixed only 1 of them. I fixed also the other place on GitHub and it will be in next release.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Undefined macro in #ifver/#ifnver first argument: 'WESNOTH_VERSION'
at ~add-ons/Danse_Macabre/_main.cfg:21

So it says on the loading screen when I start wesnoth 1.14.3.
James_The_Invisible

It is a known bug in Wesnoth: #1924, #1634, viewtopic.php?t=43749. Clearing the cache and restarting Wesnoth should fix it.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

First scenario pretext:
'...a few hours later' (missing period(s))
'This story starts with last of these remote...set to envelope...' (with the last of) and maybe (about to envelope)

Beginning of the Tragedy
So, one Ruffian discovers the Corpses and warns Merrin. So I always assumed, that that's the Ruffian that dies in the next scene, because he should be moving around with Merrin. But it's a different Ruffian (different names). :( Do you mind making sure that the Ruffian that dies is the same one who warned Merrin? :D
'..you govern this f***** corpses!!' (Profanity is pretty muchnot allowed in wesnoth. ._. Please replace it with 'damn' or smth. like that or add some disclaimer about the addon containing mature content.)
'Nothing...governs...us' (missing period(s))
'...to...die...Father' (missing period(s))
'...new...life' (see above)
'Fight or Die!' (Why would 'die' start with a capital letter there?)
Defeat Enemy Leader -> Defeat the Enemy Leader (or maybe Defeat (Father) Merrin)
'O God!...' (Oh)
'...that. This...you, Father.' The period and the comma make it seem as if he speaks fluent for a moment. Maybe use three periods instead?

Would you mind adding higher advancements for the Zombie Leader/Lord (Macabare)? It is somewhat weird that he stops at level 2 (not counting the skeleton advancements), which is weird, considering that a normal walking corpse can advance up to level 4.
...which means it's also weird that skeletons and ghost and pretty much every unit can't level up as much as the zombies. Maybe use Dugis units without the AMLAs? (And maybe only the undead units (excluding the flying spaghetti thing), explaining it with the expertise of the Lich in raising undead and also Macabres growing experience in raising undead?)

Animal Liberation
'..and unity of purpose...' -> Maybe 'united in purpose'..? Or 'purposefully united'.
Hounds are getting reanimated as rider corpses, but the wolf corpse would be more reasonable. ^^
Also...the Hound AMLA xp requirment (150XP) is ridiculous. Maybe lower it a bit?
The top left corner of the map is...well. Unnatural? xD Could you fill it up with (probably impassable) mountains?

The Shadow over the Battlefield (suggestions)
'The next thing he knows is...forest tells of the a battle...murmur...are unable to supress the craving...' -> 'The next thing he knew was...forest tells of a battle...were unable to supress their craving...'
'...is a war...every race...they are impoverished by the war...this is...new fellows.' -> '...was a war...every participating race...would be impoverished/weakened by the war...this was...new allies/corpses.'
Gingle: ...can't go to heaven. -> Maybe '...can't pass on.'? I'd rather avoid using 'heaven'.
Macabre: ...escaped...leaders... -> '...escaping...leaders...'
'*Members of Race* have lost their leader and fallen into confusion (they never move)' -> 'The *Members of Race* have lost their leader and have fallen into confusion (the units won't move anymore).'
When the Orcs/Dwarves start escaping, only their leaders do so. Their units didn't get the memo and are still attacking (me, they are now allied), instead of running away.
Add a 'No early finish bonus'?

Pride and Prejudice
'...gained an upper hand...powerful and intrepid...castle...came to meet...' -> '...gained the upper hand...the powerful and intrid/dauntless...stronghold...met...'
Merrin: ...much dead flesh... -> '...a lot of dead flesh...'
Boreas: There is a stronghold of humans! -> 'The stronghold is just ahead!' (They were intentionally advancing on it after having located it. Boreas sounds surprised/like it is actually news to them.)

James_The_Invisible wrote: May 23rd, 2018, 3:54 pm Uhm, are you talking about sprites? I know that some level 0 and 1 zombies have got new sprites during 1.13. Updating the custom higher level ones is on to-do list (but I will probably just ask in Art Workshop section, I am terrible at art myself).
(Just wondering if that is still on the to-do list. And if it can get higher on the to-do list. It is not a nice feeling to see your wolf soulless (5mp) leveling up to a human running corpse (5 mp)...)
To be honest, I will postpone playing the campaign until this has changed, because I feel it being very detrimental to the enjoyment. :/
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(I just want to point out that I was sitll adding to my last post, but I'm finished with it for now.)
James_The_Invisible

Implemented almost all of your suggestions for texts. The most notable exceptions are the profanities and mention of heaven (I have to think more about them). (By the way, this add-on is on GitHub so you can create a pull request.)
So, one Ruffian discovers the Corpses and warns Merrin. So I always assumed, that that's the Ruffian that dies in the next scene, because he should be moving around with Merrin. But it's a different Ruffian (different names). :( Do you mind making sure that the Ruffian that dies is the same one who warned Merrin? :D
Good idea. It is on GitHub now.
Would you mind adding higher advancements for the Zombie Leader/Lord (Macabare)? It is somewhat weird that he stops at level 2 (not counting the skeleton advancements), which is weird, considering that a normal walking corpse can advance up to level 4.
...which means it's also weird that skeletons and ghost and pretty much every unit can't level up as much as the zombies. Maybe use Dugis units without the AMLAs?
I will think about it.
About Macabre's case, I have a question that might help me decide: do you think that you would advance him to level 3 or higher in first 5 scenarios if he had something to advance to?
Hounds are getting reanimated as rider corpses, but the wolf corpse would be more reasonable. ^^
I have an issue open for that (to be more precise, it is a part of issue about updates for Wesnoth 1.13/1.14). The problem is that custom higher level zombies do not have wolf variation (there are no graphics for them yet).
Also...the Hound AMLA xp requirment (150XP) is ridiculous. Maybe lower it a bit?
Done, it is 50 now. (I changed it also for other unit types to level * 50 just like it is in mainline.)
When the Orcs/Dwarves start escaping, only their leaders do so. Their units didn't get the memo and are still attacking (me, they are now allied), instead of running away.
Hmm, I see that units of the other escaping sides are set to protect their leader. I will do that also for orcs and dwarves.
Uhm, are you talking about sprites? I know that some level 0 and 1 zombies have got new sprites during 1.13. Updating the custom higher level ones is on to-do list (but I will probably just ask in Art Workshop section, I am terrible at art myself).
(Just wondering if that is still on the to-do list. And if it can get higher on the to-do list. It is not a nice feeling to see your wolf soulless (5mp) leveling up to a human running corpse (5 mp)...)
Sorry, it is not too high for now.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

James_The_Invisible wrote: July 24th, 2018, 11:29 am I will think about it.
About Macabre's case, I have a question that might help me decide: do you think that you would advance him to level 3 or higher in first 5 scenarios if he had something to advance to?
I'd try very much, if
a) I didn't know he'd transform in
b) I knew that his lvl 3 zombie form would become a lvl 3 skeleton form (preferably with his XP retained).

If a) and b) are not true, then I wouldn't, because it would somewhat be a waste of XP. That's important, because, while higher lvl zombies are very useful, it is not easy to create them.
If either a) or b) is true, I would, because the (lvl 3) leadership bonus does go a long way for buffing the dmg of Walking Corpses. Way more worthwile than the PvP 2 leadership.
Macabre is also a somewhat beefier corpse, which would make his higher levels when more valuable.
I have an issue open for that (to be more precise, it is a part of issue about updates for Wesnoth 1.13/1.14). The problem is that custom higher level zombies do not have wolf variation (there are no graphics for them yet).
But hounds would be reanimated as lvl 0 zombies anyway, and that sprite does exist. (In Sc2 there are enemy wolves, so you will obtain wolf corpses anyway.)
James_The_Invisible

Thanks for your input about Macabre. I will take it into account.
About hounds, sure, they are reanimated as level 0 but they would become normal zombies upon advancing to level 2 iirc. It would be weird. About wolves, they are from mainline and I changed nothing for them.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

James_The_Invisible wrote: July 24th, 2018, 1:30 pm About hounds, sure, they are reanimated as level 0 but they would become normal zombies upon advancing to level 2 iirc. It would be weird. About wolves, they are from mainline and I changed nothing for them.
Yeah, I know. xD But, for one, someday you will add the variations for the level 2 and above zombies, and for two, this weirdness of a wolf corpse advancing to a human corpse is already present. So, better make that small change now, instead of forgetting it later on. ^^ (And all you'd have to do is change their undead variation.)
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

The campaign is quite nice; the idea is great. I wish there would be more scenarios.

There is one thing that distracts, though, and this is that the dialogue is partially ... not
only contrived, but not quite fitting to the scene at hand.

For example, there are lots of:

"What the [censored]?"

And it does not seem to fit into the dialogue at hand. It's more like a kid describing
a situation.

I would suggest to reword these expletives.

I have absolutely nothing against them; I use them a lot myself. But in a fantasy-strategy
game, I think all dialogue should predominantly stem from the inner "logic" of the
scenario at hand.

It does not fit if an archmage who may have been reading lots of books, shouts out
"what the [censored]". This could be reworded via other words - "By the good lords! The
walking dead!" or something similar.

As for the hounds - I dislike the berserk ability in general. It is both a huge asset and
a huge liability. If you have a stronger unit you can almost always guarantee a kill
situation. The hounds look like Rottweilers - it's a nice pic but not nice to Rottweillers.
Might want to make them more like dog-like beasts ... bloody mouth ... fur not so
great ... perhaps a few tiny white spots representing maggots.

The dog pic could fit to human units though - like some hunter who also has a
dog sitting on his right side or so.
Mybrodda204

Post by Mybrodda204 »

On night of the living dead after I destroyed the 2 keeps the archer guard still has all damage to 1 and regenerates what is more is the passage he blocks even is still just darkened and cannot be revealed the banebow moves to attack me 2 is that normal? anyways this bug happened on easy and I really dont wanna replay the whole map how do i fix this?
James_The_Invisible

(Definite) fix for the issue with the gateman not losing power after destroying both keeps will be in next released version. In the meantime, you can try destroying them in reversed order.
However I have no idea why he is able to move. I will look into it.