Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

dwarftough wrote: August 5th, 2020, 11:25 pm Here it is, I played this save in the stable, it crashes in the beta as well
This seems to be an error in Wesnoth, it actually writes an error message that suggests that an algorithm doesn't correctly handle a corner case.

I have created this issue ticket for it.
LotI2-Tunnels of Cruelty.gz
It's just easier to get it to crash with this save file
(271.51 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
UPDATE: It was an error in the scenario code that set the conditions right to trigger a crash bug in Wesnoth. The crash bug in Wesnoth was fixed for 1.15, I have fixed the scenario error in github, the next beta should be without it.

Are there any more unresolved problems?
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Well, if there's a new poll here and it mentions Snow Hunter, I have some words about this unit. I voted for it, in my opinion it's quite a good unit, both being 2lvl (so it gets incredible boost from leadership) and resistances (cold res allows to wear "what no man should know" and this item gives good boost and others can be assembled to make a tank from Show Hunter) and attacks (give Forest Burner bolas and this units has blade, impact, cold and fire). One thing I could mention is that blizzard attack somewhat disappointed me cause it didn't slow. It's ofc massive damage but damage is usually small while slow would be much more handy (maybe it's me how more used to slowing). Also it's a bit pitiful that not so much frozen ground to use snow ambush and other things can be found later after you afforded this advancement, maybe you can make it in Arctic Wasteland but then the only snow you'll find is on the Island of Atrocity, not much. But overall it's a damn good unit, both time I played I heavily geared snow hunter's leader and used him in Inferno.
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have uploaded the incremental fixes to the server. The changes to units were not done yet because I don't have all the data at the moment, but thanks to your feedback, I have written down a lot of ideas that should help me restore the balance between units.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Dugi wrote: August 6th, 2020, 8:41 pm Are there any more unresolved problems?
I have found several issues in a more-or-less up-to-date version, I guess they aren't fixed.

1. The Doctrine of Vindictiveness has no icon when you pick advancements. Look at a Snow Huntress (27,9) in a corresponding attached save.

2. For some reason some gems are accumulated in the item storage and they are not usable for crafting. Though they can be used if you drop them on the ground from the storage and pick back (or you can smash a gem into a random gem which allows to kinda transmute but always spending one gem be it obsidian or not). I suppose that's not how it should work, gems shouldn't be stored there. Look at the item storage > gems in a corresponding save. I have an amethyst in the storage. But then look in crafting items, this menu shows 0 amethysts.
Attachments
LotI2-The Last Crusade12 Turn 1a.gz
Gems in the item storage
(781.21 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
LotI2-The Last Crusade12 Turn 6.gz
The Doctrine of Vindictiveness, a snow huntress at 27,9
(858.22 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Yellowsilver

Post by Yellowsilver »

dwarftough wrote: August 18th, 2020, 12:29 pm
Dugi wrote: August 6th, 2020, 8:41 pm Are there any more unresolved problems?
2. For some reason some gems are accumulated in the item storage and they are not usable for crafting. Though they can be used if you drop them on the ground from the storage and pick back (or you can smash a gem into a random gem which allows to kinda transmute but always spending one gem be it obsidian or not). I suppose that's not how it should work, gems shouldn't be stored there. Look at the item storage > gems in a corresponding save. I have an amethyst in the storage. But then look in crafting items, this menu shows 0 amethysts.
I have seen the same issue, and I think it was already mentioned in the thread. It happens when the gem is taken at the end of a scenario. I suppose you have seen a message once saying "Amethyst was automatically picked", and instead of being with other gems, it's put into the item storage.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

Yellowsilver wrote: August 19th, 2020, 11:16 am
I have seen the same issue, and I think it was already mentioned in the thread. It happens when the gem is taken at the end of a scenario.
It may be so, I haven't seen this mentioned here. And didn't search for it, to be honest
Yellowsilver

Post by Yellowsilver »

dwarftough wrote: August 19th, 2020, 3:11 pm I haven't seen this mentioned here. And didn't search for it, to be honest
I did just now and I didn't find. But I thought I had seen it already.

This is only what I have observed. All gems that were picked at the end of a scenario were put in the inventory, on regular LotI.
Kraim

Post by Kraim »

This campaign is perfect.
I have also really enjoyed The beautiful child.
Do you think about creating new spinn-offs, maybe from the reality where Efraim and Lethalia are, or from the "Beautiful child" reality ?
Good luck with your new project.
JSC

Post by JSC »

Dugi wrote: August 5th, 2020, 10:42 pm
JSC wrote: March 31st, 2020, 8:25 pm The idea of automatically collecting some items
I know, Dugi, that you want the player's armies to have to bother with items. The players, in turn, want the other way around. That's why I have a Solomon proposal, at least I hope so. According to my idea, the game when it meets the victory criterion should look for items that meet one of the following conditions:
- lie in the player's village, either in an allied village or at most 2 hexes away from the listed
- are located in a castle free of the enemy or no more than 5 hex from its border
- are within sight of player or allied units. For the purpose of this condition, it is worth considering removing enemy units commanded by killed leaders
- the item is adjacent to the item qualifying for acquisition
An additional condition is that the fields with the object are not occupied by an enemy unit or are adjacent to it.
That would come with additional inconvenience. If you walk a unit over the item, you have the option to smash it to get a random gem, which is a pretty common thing to do for overly common items. If this was automatically placed into the inventory, you'd have to search through it over and over again to look for junk and end up picking it manually anyway.

I have implemented this in a project I never completed nor released and found the resulting mess in my inventory so annoying that I regretted that decision.
Upsss! I didn't know there was so much fuss about it.
Dugi wrote: August 5th, 2020, 10:42 pm
JSC wrote: March 31st, 2020, 8:25 pm The idea of developing teleportation
He would like to present an idea for AMLA developing teleportation capabilities.
Infiltration - allows for teleportation from/to the castle field
Hit and Blink - this would be a variation of Hit and Run capability using teleportation. It depended on the fact, that if the attack came out from some location, from which one can teleport oneself, then the unit with this capability after the attack tries to return to it, and if it teleported itself in this turn, then it teleports itself to the location, from where the last teleportation came out. In order to balance this, I propose 2 weaknesses:
- if one of the teleportation locations is in or adjacent to an enemy control zone, there is no escape.
- the number of traffic points for return traffic must be reduced somehow. Maybe by 1/3?
I'll consider it, it can't be implemented the way you are suggesting but it could be a fine addition to make some of the underused units more popular.
OK. You just have to make sure that units with such skills do not become universal first impact units. The ability to (...)Hit and Blink(...) looks like it would be abusive.
dabber

Post by dabber »

I have played part 2 repeatedly, but haven't played part 1 in more than five years. I finally decided to play part 1 again several weeks ago. Playing on hard difficultly, chapter 2 was easy, and chapter 3 is a cakewalk. There are no enemies that will ever attack any of my people. Not just the heroes are too scary to be attacked, but the "common" soldiers are sufficiently powerful that almost no enemy attempts to hurt them. That was largely true in chapter 2 also, but there were at least some powered up elves there.
Edit: Oops. AI aggression was changed a couple months ago and I didn't pull it. It is still really easy though.
Looking at what enemies are available, this makes sense. Most of the enemies are level 2 (or lower), and my people are all level 4 or 5, plus magic equipment. That should be a mismatch. I hacked a couple scenarios (3_09 Ambush and 3_11 Achilles Revenge) and replaced the enemies with all level 4s. That made very little difference - enemies would still move next to my people and not attack. My troops needed more time to kill them all, but enemies still died while inflicting insignificant damage. This isn't an AI bug - I debug summoned some demon warriors and they attacked me.

I don't remember part 1 being this easy. What changed? I think equipment changed. I think there is better equipment available in part 1 than previously, and also more equipment. My vague memory is 5 years ago my troops would have multiple empty slots in part 1. Now my troops are usually fully equipped. Is beelzebub the cause? Is the concept of rare drops part of it?
Or am I alone, and other people find chapters 2 and 3 more challenging?
Last edited by dabber on September 4th, 2020, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

dabber wrote: August 30th, 2020, 3:30 am Or am I alone, and other people find chapters 2 and 3 more challenging?
They are more challenging when you first try them, without previous LotI experience.
dabber

Post by dabber »

A couple units in Akula's dungeon of chapter 5, and Akula herself, inflict bonus damage. I thought I had seen something about making that more visible, instead of your units taking damage for no apparent reason. Was anything done about that? Should I do it?
dabber

Post by dabber »

My previous post about chapter 3 was incomplete. AI aggression was changed a couple months ago and I didn't pull it.
GamerRebellion

Post by GamerRebellion »

Hi, I want to know, if somebody has this same problem. So I playing in the Passage of Detriment now, and it is very laggy, wherever I move my unit, it needs 3 seconds to the unit to move. I play Wesnoth on steam. Is there is anybody who has a solution to this problem?
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

GamerRebellion wrote: September 19th, 2020, 5:06 am Hi, I want to know, if somebody has this same problem. So I playing in the Passage of Detriment now, and it is very laggy, wherever I move my unit, it needs 3 seconds to the unit to move. I play Wesnoth on steam. Is there is anybody who has a solution to this problem?
I would advise you the same thing that Lilith advises to your heroes when you start this scenario: don't go there :)