"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ringcaat

"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Post by Ringcaat »

Hi, everyone! In accordance with the Wiki guidelines, I am creating this topic for my campaign in construction, A Gryphon's Tale. The .zip archive I'm making available now contains the first four scenarios of this campaign.

A Gryphon's Tale tells the story of a community of civilized Gryphons, distant in character from those found on the mountain in Heir to the Throne. This will probably mean that it is not set in the world of Wesnoth, but one similar to it, although the possibility strikes me that since this little civilization is unknown to outside races at large, they might indeed coexist with the story of mainline campaigns. Aside from my use of the name Gryphon Mountain, there is currently no connection between them.

These scenarios are not quite in their finished form. For one thing, there is no new unit art, which is something I'll definitely want for the finished product. There are a few changes I would like to go back and make, and undoubtedly I'll want to rewrite some of the background as I develop the campaign further. For now, though, this package is quite playable. It is a story-heavy, character-oriented campaign, something I don't think has been done much. These first four scenarios are all very unconventional, but there will be conventional combat scenarios in the campaign, starting with number five.

Comments and suggestions are welcome, of course. I hope this brings pleasure to a few people.
Circon

Post by Circon »

It looks good. Added to http://wesnoth.slack.it/?UserScenarios right now. I've read it :)

Good commenting in the WML, and you ought to edit the page I made for you. It's primitive.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

what is the intended length of the campaign? I would suggest not going over 15 counting branches, but its your decision.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

One bug: There shouldn't be any spaces in the file names.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The units need ID's.

Just add 'id=Gryphlet' next to 'name=Gryphlet', etc.

P.S.: Kinda fun campaign. I don't like scenarios 1 and 3... they are guaranteed win if you do the right thing. However, 2 and 4 are nice: I trapped and killed 2 saurians in scenario 2, which helped a lot in scenario 4. BTW, I was playing in Hard.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ringcaat

Replies to first impressions

Post by Ringcaat »

I have been alerted to a major problem in scenario 3 that makes it possible to win just by sailing straight through the race. This was not my intention! ;) I have fixed it for the next release.

Re: id keys for units. I didn't know there was such a thing. None of the units in the main download have ids, and there isn't an entry for them in the Wiki. Is that a new thing?

I have replaced the spaces in the file names with underscores. Thanks.

Some scenarios are, in fact, automatic victories if you know what to do--they're intended as "puzzle levels." Although I had a lot of trouble myself figuring out how to beat scenario 1 on Hard! :D

I don't know how long it will be, since I haven't finished the story in my mind...but I'm guessing about 17 scenarios total. You don't play all of them, though.

Thanks for making the entry, Circon. :)

I'm done with scenario 5 except for my ai problem: I can't get the player's ally to recruit more than a handful of units, no matter what I try. I want him to recruit a bunch, like the enemy players do. Any ideas?[/quote]
sanna

Re: Replies to first impressions

Post by sanna »

Ringcaat wrote:Re: id keys for units. I didn't know there was such a thing. None of the units in the main download have ids, and there isn't an entry for them in the Wiki. Is that a new thing?
Yes, its new. Starting with 0.8.3 wesnoth wont even find the units if they don't have an id.
Ewan

Using Zebby

Post by Ewan »

First, thanks for the campaign - very different from the rest, fun, well-plotted.

I am having trouble working out how to use Zeb to cause a landslide in the race scenario. Looking at the save file, it's clear that if he moves to the rock, there will be a landslide, and that should happpen once Neli is past but noone else. So far, so good. However, I don't get how to release Zeb. Am I just being dense? :-)

Thanks - Ewan
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Using Zebby

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Ewan wrote:I am having trouble working out how to use Zeb to cause a landslide in the race scenario. Looking at the save file, it's clear that if he moves to the rock, there will be a landslide, and that should happpen once Neli is past but noone else. So far, so good. However, I don't get how to release Zeb. Am I just being dense? :-)

Thanks - Ewan
Recall it.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ewan

Re: Using Zebby

Post by Ewan »

[quote="Elvish Pillager"]

Recall it.[/quote]

<lightbulb> Ahh!</lightbulb>

Doh. Thanks :)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I like this campaign; it's "cute" :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ringcaat

Update

Post by Ringcaat »

Thanks, everyone!

I have made several touch-ups in the early scenarios, and I now have scenarios five and six nearly done. I'm copying in a question I asked in an earlier topic:

I wrote:
I have a new problem. In my fifth scenario, I've been having trouble getting the player's ally to recruit enough units. I keep changing his [ai] settings, and he behaves differently, but not as I would expect. Sometimes he recruits only one batch of units, then never any more, despite having plenty of gold. Sometimes he recruits only one type of unit, despite a recruitment_pattern to the contrary. Sometimes he recruits only one unit on his first turn, and others only when the enemy reaches him. On top of this, he often flies to villages that he already controls that are under siege, without even making an attack. I've tried just about every halfway relevant tag listed under [ai]. Nothing works! How can I get my ally to pump out the recruits at a reasonable rate?
Can anyone help?
MadMax

Re: Update

Post by MadMax »

Ringcaat wrote:Thanks, everyone!

I have made several touch-ups in the early scenarios, and I now have scenarios five and six nearly done. I'm copying in a question I asked in an earlier topic:

I wrote:
I have a new problem. In my fifth scenario, I've been having trouble getting the player's ally to recruit enough units. I keep changing his [ai] settings, and he behaves differently, but not as I would expect. Sometimes he recruits only one batch of units, then never any more, despite having plenty of gold. Sometimes he recruits only one type of unit, despite a recruitment_pattern to the contrary. Sometimes he recruits only one unit on his first turn, and others only when the enemy reaches him. On top of this, he often flies to villages that he already controls that are under siege, without even making an attack. I've tried just about every halfway relevant tag listed under [ai]. Nothing works! How can I get my ally to pump out the recruits at a reasonable rate?
Can anyone help?
All I can think of is doing it manually with [unit] tags.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Perhaps (unless you've tried {NO_SCOUTS} or villages_per_scout=0) that AI is trying to get scouts, but there aren't any in its recruitment list. If this is the problem, the above-mentioned pieces of WML may help when put in the AI tag.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Ringcaat

Ally recruitment problem

Post by Ringcaat »

Nah, he has plenty of scouts. I tried the opposite of that, scouts_per_village=high numbers, and also low numbers, since it isn't clear which makes the player get more scouts. But neither worked. I guess I can try those, just on general principles.