"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

moony

Re: "A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Post by moony »

Hey, i'm playing "a gryphons tale" on 1.10.1
but in farcel bironze, i've put Neli ohn hex 2,2 where i expect the zolphas (trees, sand,dirt. but nothing happends. same with 2,7.
Have I located them wrong, because i've all hexes in NW tried....
When I'm wrong where the.... well where are those zolphas..?
Unsere Taten bestimmen wer wir sind, nicht unsere Worte.
Dwarven_Void

Post by Dwarven_Void »

Scenario 1 debugged. Scenario 2 is my project for today. Moony, try again later.

EDIT: Scenario 2 is.... fine. No bugs at all. To see the hex you should be stepping on see the spoiler.
However, I updated the version with a slightly altered map, to make it really obvious where you should go once you find it. On easy mode, I also added a hint directing the player to the village, because that hint is very useful.
Spoiler:
moony

Post by moony »

Thank you, I’ve found the Zolphas!!
But I can't play further, after that music scenario, there's an unknown scenario: talking_it_over..
Dwarven_Void

Post by Dwarven_Void »

Which doesn't exist yet. 12a_Music is as far as the campaign was ever made. I may write the next scenario at some point, but it will take a while I'm afraid.

Anything you would like to see changed in the meanwhile?
moony

Post by moony »

Well a technical thing maybe because the experience points (is that the word? hope you know what I mean..) of the Gryphon Chieftain are still bright blue (same with the Pizolphas) , but i's already the last level of it I think? That's confusing, I've risked mast of the time Neliflua's life to get to the next level up until I've realized it's already the last, can you change that? That would be nice ;)
I like the campaign, that's the only thing I would change expect, maybe the opponent in "Travel Games" is a little bit too weak, it's more a walkthrough than hard to beat, but that's ok I think ^^
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Dwarven_Void wrote:Which doesn't exist yet. 12a_Music is as far as the campaign was ever made. I may write the next scenario at some point, but it will take a while I'm afraid.

Anything you would like to see changed in the meanwhile?
Maybe a good idea to give the player a note about that, when he reached the end of the last finished scenario.
Otherwise every player thinks a bug (unknown scenario) breaks the scenario. :hmm:
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Dwarven_Void

Post by Dwarven_Void »

Hmmm. I don't know why it would be blue. I will see if I can reproduce the error on my copy.

I may well bump up travel games's difficulty. I'll take a look at it in greater detail.

By tomorrow, I hope to release version 0.7 - a cleaned up edition with all the changes I have made. I gave Granka + Akyah loyal overlays, and, after forgetting where she was, Miolu got a hero overlay. Music has been given a slight dialogue change, and I have tried to edit Komoi's behaviour in scenario 5 to be less... atrocious.

@Adamant I just did :)

Any other changes people want me to put into version 0.7?

EDIT: I need anyone who can to play test scenario 6 without using saurians. I don't feel it makes sense to be with the gryphon's, so I want to edit them out - but is it still playable?

EDIT2: Scenario 11b (Revolt) is very dark for a wesnoth scenario, and dosen't really fit the rest of the campaign. Any idea's for how I can change it?
Dwarven_Void

Post by Dwarven_Void »

Urrrk. I just played through 11b_Revolt about 3 times (and it's a long one) - only to discover the map was only half done, and the scenario was unwinnable.

Never mins, I have edited the broken code, finished a map, bug fixed the orc line, changed some units, added dialogue everywhere, and generally tried to make the campaign doable.

Version 0.7 is now online, and (drum roll) the campaign has an ending! (Or at least, 1 of the 3 branches has an ending). Side with the orcs wherever possible, and you'll get there eventually.

Meanwhile, scenario 6 is now without saurians, which may or may not make it impossible to beat on hard. Play tests needed please!

I really need to know how people found 11_b, because thats the only one thats never had feedback beyond "It's broken". Too long, too slow, too easy, too boring, where the bugs are... are of it.

Cheers all, and thank you for playing.

PS: Which "alternative" (ie/ not a proper battle) scenario was you favourite? The race, capture the flag, or the musical notes one?
moony

Post by moony »

I've played 5 an 6 with only 1 saurian. Does that help you? It works very good, at scenario 5 i had one (well I Hadn't used him often) , i managed to kill one orcish lord and to destroy that ball which kept the wolves and bats on the orcish side, in 6 I had no chance to act with the saurian. I think it will work without ;)

I really liked the scenario with the music :-))
Dwarven_Void

Post by Dwarven_Void »

Yes that does help. Saurians are still be recruitable in scenario 5.

Glad you liked music :)

"A gryphon's tale" is now on 1.11. It is still being developed primarily on 1.10 , but functionality is being added to the 1.11 version.

PS: Which did you choose to side with the elves over the orcs?
moony

Post by moony »

nice to hear :)

I'm playing both plots. I've played the music scenario on side of the Elves, but I have a scenario on side of the orcs too (Retaliation). I think I will continue both sides parallel
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

played the 1.8 verions.

The ally ai in scenario 5 needs to be fixed, and if your supposed to use Zophas their should be more hint IN THE SCENARIO rather than expecting people to check a guide (who really thiks to check a guide on their first run?).

You've had multiple complaints about it so i'm surpirsed you left it as is.

Though ill give the 1.11 a go sometime
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

First, a bug fix: in 07_The_trainer, "revenant" must be replaced with "Revenant" in the [unit] tag or no unit will be created, ending the dialogue early and making the scenario unwinnable.

I'm up to 08_The_necromancers on 1.10.5 with the version of the campaign that was up today, whatever that is. The allied force in 05_Orcish_attack is still atrocious. I also found that getting any use out of the spires is close to impossible, even on easy, making zolphas a waste of money: I think I would have been better off with two more combat units than three zolphas, even though one of them collapsed a spire and distracted three units for quite a while. Maybe the impact zone could become a hex wider? It doesn't help that the allied saurians all want to stand on the sand.

06_Orcish_prison is really, really hard and luck based. By the end I had two live Pizolphas (one of them advanced in scenario 5), all other zolphas having died while in walls. I had to reload to force one of the Pizolphas to live and still only made it out on turn 57.

I strongly suggest that all Zolphas and Pizolphas have the movement cost of cave walls halved. This would make scenario 6 less of a complete nightmare and make scenario 5 better, as it currently requires either luck, two zolphas per spire or a ZoC pin to use the spires at all. Making the kill zone larger and allowing the zolphas to move from edge to centre in a single turn would make the spires useful instead of counterproductive.

Reducing the number of gryphons in 03_Canyon_race would be a very good idea, as it is boring waiting for them all to move. Halve the number of racers and make only one or two audience members move when the gates open.

The gryphons really ought to own the villages in the mountains in scenario 5, partly for flavour reasons and partly to prevent the ally from suiciding his units in small groups because he spread them all over the mountains claiming villages.
Attachments
GT-The_Trainer_replay.gz
(15.75 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
GT-Orcish_Prison_replay.gz
(22.45 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
GT-Orcish_Attack_replay.gz
(41.17 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
GT-Alpha_Ceremony_replay.gz
(9.47 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
GT-Capture_the_Flag_replay.gz
(5.88 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
BlackForestLion

"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign: Error loading map

Post by BlackForestLion »

With Wesnoth 1.10.3 and campaign version 0.6.12 I get an error "Illegal tile in map: (Rb^Fi)" while loading the map for scenario 11b.
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

I remember this campaign. It was one of my favorites. I guess it was a victim of engine creep.
http://wogralddev.blogspot.com/

Wograld - our graphics requirements are less demanding.