"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Korialtrash

Re: ...

Post by Korialtrash »

Words, not guns are winning battles today

Wow... I didn't know if something like NaNoWriMo exist at all. It looks very interesting and I'm sure that I'll observe it till the end. And maybe I'll try myself in the next year, who knows? :) Anyways, I wish you good luck. Create as beautiful novel, as you are able to do (And I'm pretty sure, that it must be especially good)

Of course I want your writelings. I love to read from authors who are not publishing commercially their work. Details on private message, I give you my e-mail there. If you want, I could write and send you my critique.
And you sow - maybe something grow...
And you - that what have grown - gather!
And you celebrate what are living happy!
And you respect, what is dying...
Jacek Kaczmarski (my own translation to English)
BruceLeNain

Post by BruceLeNain »

Hello, this is my first post and also my first campaing (i mean first campaign i play).

I am not used with strategy games, but i like this one (i discovered the wesnoth linux version one week ago)

so enough with my life, let s talk about gryphon's tale : i love this campaign, it s wonderful !

i finally could finish the 4th scenario with the help of snowy lands.

But i can't win the 5th level. In fact, i nearly won it : i first recruit saurians (which cost 15go) and gryphons not gifted, than I take as many villages as i can, leaving some for komoi, and i still try to send as much people to the south never attacking (always waiting for ennemies to attack, so that at least they lose a round) and trying to pick up as many villages as possible, and make ennemies lose time. Then, i send half of my army in the western forest, where ennemies don't like to go, and while all ennemies are walking to the northern mountains, Neliflua go to the western forest, and with the help of her army, she beat Rolagh-Togk, and then take the dungeon and recruit new warriors.

But i lose because komoi doesn't come with me, and he is killed. :cry:

So i did not find the good strategy, can someone help me ?

I am sorry for my bad english.

Raphaël
wsitumn

Post by wsitumn »

This campaign is indeed one of creativity and inspiration.
The interactions between character had reach just the right degree to give a feeling of fantasy. It is really touching my heart. Although I do admit that I do not fully enjoy watching birds talking love, I still think that Gryphons fit into the graphics and theme of BfW very well.

The strategical element of the campaign is just as brilliant as the story-line.
This campaign, unlike many others, provides strategies that players can use to defeat a campaign, instead of blind killing wars. The mini-games are totally brilliant. They are attractive and adorable, and the coding is perfect and bug-less.

There are some parts of this campaign that I personally do not like though. Such as that Orc battle. I found this battle a little disturbing, especially when the map is so huge and the battle time is quite long. Our parties recruits are very vulnerable: Gryphons are relatively weak units, considering that they are built for agility; their pets are basically shield of sacrifices. The Saurians just arent my cup of tea. I want to train strong and beautiful Gryphons and eagles but not muscular lizzards.(please do not be offended, ha)

My suggestion is that Nobel Gryphons class may have a 4th class or may be even a branch of growing types. That way Gryphons would have potentials fitted to be the main characters of the campaign. (It is ridiculous when stubborn Orcs can easily deal huge damage on noble and holy Gryphons, and I just dont feel like training Gryphons because of that)

Overall everything is perfect, except for head-on type battles where I suppose its the area the author is not as experienced as others.

P.S. Sorry for my bad grammar, its not my first language :?
SirLoseALot

Post by SirLoseALot »

I just played through the campaign, and I really like it. But I seem to have a problem, when I move on to the mission "Necromancers" It says something about not being able to find Orcish Shamins. The solution given in this thred was to download the new version from the campaign server, but I can't seem to find the files on the campaign servers. I've looked through both port 15003 and 15004, the web interface, and Ringcaat's online downloads. But I can't seem to find any version over 0.5.0. Can someone please direct me to where I can find 0.6.0. Thanks
Korialtrash

Post by Korialtrash »

December has came and there is still no word from Ringcaat. We are still waiting for update's for your brilliant campaign
And I, personally, am waiting for some of your stories or link to your novel ;)
Rarely comes someone who can told so beautifull story and he don't require money for reading his creations ;D And that is what I must admit ;)
And you sow - maybe something grow...
And you - that what have grown - gather!
And you celebrate what are living happy!
And you respect, what is dying...
Jacek Kaczmarski (my own translation to English)
Kapoue_II

Re: "A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Post by Kapoue_II »

I have been handed over control of this campaign. Don't expect much for a while though, as i have another i am working feverishly on. I have a 12th scenario (narrative, I'm afraid) added to the 1.8 version though.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Kapoue_II wrote:I have been handed over control of this campaign.
Compliments for taking over A Gryphon's Tale! You already know that, once on the 1.1 server, there was a version with one more scenario, called 11b - Revolt.
Ringcaat wrote:* A new scenario! Scenario 11B, "Revolt", is by far the most complex and largest of the campaign.
If you want to contact Ringcaat to see if he has a copy of that scenario, you can look here: http://thorintatge.livejournal.com/ or http://www.thorintatge.com
http://thorintatge.livejournal.com/ wrote:Thursday, August 5th, 2010
Perhaps the most weighty of these items was to catch up on my e-mail, which involved giving answers to all my starred messages, which meant I had to try out the Doctor Who solo adventure PDF-based game, which was fun, though awfully complex, and also to look into the state of "A Gryphon's Tale", the campaign I designed most of for The Battle For Wesnoth several years ago, before giving up on it because the open-source game was changing too quickly. It was bizarre and bittersweet to see a forum thread in which various people were discussing my campaign--its strengths and weaknesses, the tactics needed to get through it, the things that must have changed since the quaint, early version of Wesnoth for which I designed it. They talked about the remote possibility of me, the "original designer", rising "from the dead" to complain about any changes they might make--as if I'd be inclined to complain, rather than thanking them for their interest and diligence. Sadly, the thread ended last November with the person who had adopted the campaign declaring that it was officially abandoned again. I wonder what I will do, and whether the story of Neliflua, the young gryphon kidnapped to be a general among orcs, will ever see fruition. What I've learned is that contributing to an open-source project can be achingly hard.
And, of course, if you want you can use my Young Gryphon unit from TSoG :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

As for that additional scenario; I had asked Turuk and looked around here on the servers and in the wesnoth forum for it when I took the campaign, so if Ringcaat doesn't have it it is definitely lost...

Aha, a "proof of life" by Ringcaat. ;)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

I haven't been able to get hold of ringcaat-its the lost scenario im afraid :( You will have to do with my sub-standard one for now im afraid...........

Thanks for the offer of the young gryphon unit. I think I know where to put it...........
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Kapoue_II wrote:I haven't been able to get hold of ringcaat-its the lost scenario im afraid :(
Did you tried by sending him a PM? If yes, you must be aware that he may have used, at the time, a mailbox that now is no longer active (several years passed...). In this page there is his latest (and almost certainly working) e-mail address: http://thorintatge.livejournal.com/profile
Kapoue_II wrote:Thanks for the offer of the young gryphon unit. I think I know where to put it...........
:D
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

I have tried the email. I will let you know if it works.

EDIT:And I have used the young gryphon unit-in particular, the graphics. I have used your graphics for the gryphlet unit-it always looked a bit odd having the two (very different) things together. The gifted gryphon unit remains the same, but in time i hope to change it.
Ringcaat

Ringcaat returns!

Post by Ringcaat »

Hi, everyone! Let me offer my apologies for disappearing four years ago. I was finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the changes being made to BFW at the time. My old scenarios were being rendered problematic or unplayable with changes in code or art, while I was finding it difficult to learn what I needed to learn in order to create new ones. At one point I decided to create a smaller, even weirder campaign called "The Motley Battalion", which would have featured an army consisting of exactly one of every Level 3 or higher unit type in five scenarios with unusual laws of physics. I ceased work on this, too, though, when an update to BFW turned out to be too much for my old computer to run at a decent rate. It was then I largely gave up on the game, though I never forgot "A Gryphon's Tale."

Given that I find myself unable to make as much time as I'd like for the writing projects I count as high priorities, it's clear to me that I won't be able to finish this campaign myself, as much as I wish I could. The prospect of learning everything that's changed in the last four years and updating scenarios for new AIs, new art, new terrain, etc., not to mention things like translation capability, is too daunting. As such, it's been nice to see players occasionally taking an interest in this old unfinished story. If anyone, such as Kapoue_II, wants to finish it, I would be delighted for that to happen. I'll be glad to offer advice, suggestions, dialogue, clarifications, and so forth regarding the story and the concepts behind the various levels. Or if you'd rather do it on your own, that's fine, too. If I'm not happy with the final product, it's my own fault for originally biting off more than I could chew.

And of course, I'll provide the missing file for Scenario 11B, Revolt. I was sent an e-mail that I assume came from Kapoue_II, so the easiest way is probably to send him a copy, which I'll do now.

I haven't been able to bring myself to play the campaign again recently, though I have been playing Wesnoth with a friend recently on the multiplayer server. From comments I've seen, I suspect that changes in the AI have rendered the first scenario, Capture the Flag, either trivially easy or impossible on at least one difficulty level. The third scenario, Canyon Race, is probably problematic as well, given the number of times I had to return to it during development. I'm hoping the rest of the scenarios still work well.

Thanks for your comments and concern, everyone. I'll check back here in case anyone has questions.
This is a young gryphon. She likes cheese. She will steal all your cheese.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ringcaat wrote:Hi, everyone! Let me offer my apologies for disappearing four years ago.
:shock: Welcome back, Ringcaat!
Ringcaat wrote:My old scenarios were being rendered problematic or unplayable with changes in code or art, while I was finding it difficult to learn what I needed to learn in order to create new ones.
From Wesnoth 1.4, we have two Python command-line tools, called wmllint and wmlscope, that makes campaign mainteniance and updating a lot easier.
Ringcaat wrote:And of course, I'll provide the missing file for Scenario 11B, Revolt. I was sent an e-mail that I assume came from Kapoue_II, so the easiest way is probably to send him a copy, which I'll do now.
If you can upload here as well a copy of that version of the campaign, or at least of that scenario, I can run wmllint and wmlscope on it and make Kapoue_II's work easier.
Kapoue_II

Post by Kapoue_II »

Thanks Elvish hunter-I haven't learnt how to use those yet. Here's the file (I have semi-updated it)
Revolt.cfg
(84.9 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
If you can do that for me, I will start work on 12a-Riincaat has an excellent idea for it. See spoiler below.
Spoiler:
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Note that 1.8/1.9 wmllint supports only conversion from 1.4 and later. You will need to run 1.4's wmllint, and you need to run it on the map file too; that's the most important thing since the map format is still 1.1 standard. It's how I updated the other maps/scenarios.

emacs checker for that scenario:

Code: Select all

Line 68: Attribute not available in this context: 'shroud'
Line 80: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 573: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 605: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 618: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 661: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 662: Attribute not available in this context: 'blue'
Line 713: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 714: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 737: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 738: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 809: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 810: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 830: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 831: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 866: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 888: Attribute not available in this context: 'type'
Line 901: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 917: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 980: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 995: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 1006: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 1021: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 1386: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 1387: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 1429: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 1430: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 1500: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1520: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1540: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1560: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1592: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1621: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1662: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1698: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1722: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1738: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1759: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 1800: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 1801: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 1828: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 1829: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 1894: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2002: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2023: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2044: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2065: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2088: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2115: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2141: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2166: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2169: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2174: Attribute not available in this context: 'letter'
Line 2468: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 2469: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 2501: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 2502: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 2557: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2605: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2766: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2795: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2814: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2836: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2895: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 2921: Attribute not available in this context: 'description'
Line 3043: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 3044: Attribute not available in this context: 'blue'
Line 3045: Attribute not available in this context: 'green'
Line 3052: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 3053: Attribute not available in this context: 'blue'
Line 3054: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
Line 3137: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 3138: Attribute not available in this context: 'blue'
Line 3139: Attribute not available in this context: 'green'
Line 3146: Tag not available in this context: 'colour_adjust'
Line 3147: Attribute not available in this context: 'blue'
Line 3148: Attribute not available in this context: 'red'
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign