"A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hunter_z

Re: "A Gryphon's Tale" campaign

Post by hunter_z »

Who is currently in charge of this campaign? I'd like the permission to port it to 1.14/1.16 :)
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

hunter_z wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:40 am Who is currently in charge of this campaign? I'd like the permission to port it to 1.14/1.16 :)
Looks to have been abandoned since 2013. I think you're all set. Maybe send a p-mail to Dwarven Void (the last maintainer) but don't wait for a reply, he hasn't been on since '13.

There are more quality old addons out there than there are maintainers I think. Glad to see another one being preserved.
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

Atreides wrote: July 9th, 2021, 2:06 pm
hunter_z wrote: July 8th, 2021, 8:40 am Who is currently in charge of this campaign? I'd like the permission to port it to 1.14/1.16 :)
Looks to have been abandoned since 2013. I think you're all set. Maybe send a p-mail to Dwarven Void (the last maintainer) but don't wait for a reply, he hasn't been on since '13.

There are more quality old addons out there than there are maintainers I think. Glad to see another one being preserved.
This campaign was my favorite when I played BfW as a kid, and I'd love to modernize it. If anyone's interested, here's my progress so far (will post images later):

- New gryphon sprites (currently working on attack and defense animations)
- Revised code (replaced deprecated tags with compatible ones)
- Little breath of life like extra spectators in Alpha Ceremony

Planned additions & fixes:
- Enhanced maps (current ones look like they're still stuck in 1.2, they could use a modern touch :))
- Spellchecking

I'm sure I'll come up with more ideas as I go through the scenarios, but I'm currently focused on porting them to 1.14, and soon 1.16. Once that's done, I can move on to enhancing the maps. It should make the experience more pleasing for new players and give the old fans a fresh new take on an old beloved campaign :)

Stay tuned for more updates!
hunter_z

Post by hunter_z »

I've been struggling with motivational issues due to university and other issues but I finally got around to making some maps! Here are some comparisons between 2004 and 2021 (wow, this campaign is ancient!)

I have decided to only work on the 1.16 version, as I highly doubt anyone's stuck using 1.14 and refusing to update at this point. WML has been updated so rather than working on two different versions with different compatibilities, I'll only work on supporting the latest version.

The map redesigns are not yet finalized but they should capture the new look of the campaign quite well! The overall feel of every map stays the same, no major path changes have been made.

Warning: Image-heavy!
Spoiler:
I sincerely hope there are people out there waiting to revisit this campaign after many years, or new players who have not gotten to experience it yet :)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Ftr, I'm one of the former.