The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dwarven_Void

Re: The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.10/1.11

Post by Dwarven_Void »

Finished the campaign. It's very good :)

One irritating little problem: In "Under Pressure" I was already moving Hamel and Dulatus towards the exit based on the hint. Then the scout cam in - on top of hamel. Due to no find_vacant=yes, hamel was killed, and I had to go back a couple of turns taking care to move him somewhere else. Could that be changed please?

The other thing is that in "Forest fire" (great concept), I would suggest damaging units next to the fire. One of my woses got trapped by flames on all 6 sides, and was stuck for the next dozen, and I felt that in such a situation, surely the wose would burn and die?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

taptap wrote:but if I then barely escape why can't I leave units behind (removing them from my recall list assuming them dead or captured). The forced unit sequence for the escape can make you lose the scenario because a unit of you is still alive, but will die next turn, but Hamel insists of watching it die.
Because this exact escape sequence is part of the scenario mechanics and is what makes this scenario nice. These dwarfs just don't wanna leave anyone behind. ^_^
Later: I arrived at the provisional end. Thank you for the campaign. Do you continue the development?
Probably. But not this year yet. ^_^
Dwarven_Void wrote:Finished the campaign. It's very good
Thanks.
Dwarven_Void wrote:One irritating little problem: In "Under Pressure" I was already moving Hamel and Dulatus towards the exit based on the hint. Then the scout cam in - on top of hamel. Due to no find_vacant=yes, hamel was killed, and I had to go back a couple of turns taking care to move him somewhere else. Could that be changed please?
Sure, that's a bug.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
taptap

Post by taptap »

Because this exact escape sequence is part of the scenario mechanics and is what makes this scenario nice. These dwarfs just don't wanna leave anyone behind. ^_^
They rather sacrifice their leader? (That's how it played out for me.) Basically I had problems because I went pretty close to the enemy keep, this I did to help those remaining elves survive (and accidentally I triggered one of the guards, I don't know whether this was the reason for the sudden change from no recruits to dozens of high-levels, likely it was). It was a very costly retreat after that, because mages just aren't that fast. If you hand over the control about the remaining elves (only for this scenario) I wouldn't have had any problems and would have defended safely north of the river.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

The elves are set up to not move near to the enemy guards, they only defend (If that didn't work then there's an AI bug). And yes, if you attack the guards, the AI gets lots of fresh resources since the scenario is designed to be "unwinnable", that is, you cannot kill Asheviere's New Flame. I was hoping the hint about not moving near to the enemy keep and the guards would be scary/clear enough...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
taptap

Post by taptap »

Yes, the hint was clear, and I wasn't intending to kill him, but I triggered the event by mistake and didn't want to replay. I was in trouble afterwards - and it felt a bit like overkill - (several unfortunate wose and mage losses, because i couldn't run fast enough) and being thus in trouble it really isn't nice to lose Hamel and the campaign because the silly ZoCed and a hopeless White mage survived the last turn. Everyone left behind will be lost would be enough imho to make the player extract all units he can in such a situation, but feels more natural. The elves didn't go in reach of the guards, but they went towards the enemy keep and would have suicided against the normal L2 recruits, which was sad as there were several L2 elves. I tried to help them against the normal recruits but unfortunately I came a little too close. Especially as the dialog is "I leave my elvish troops here to help you" I wonder whether you can just give control over the remaining elves for this scenario. As long as you don't trigger the reinforcements there is little challenge at this point anyway and it wouldn't be much help to the player and I really wouldn't have been as close to the enemy if it were not for my will to help those bloody elves.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
BrettTurner

Post by BrettTurner »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.

Wesnoth 1.11.1. TEG 0.2.12.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)

Playing on the easiest difficulty level, overall difficulty 3. A few scenarios were 6-7 (the one with the trolls coming in from the north and the undead from the south, and the one where you have to save the Troll king.) But a few were 1-2.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?

Clear, except when I misread them. (At the end of the first Dolatus scenario, I had Dolatus wandering around the southwest corner of the map for ten turns looking for another secret passage, when the objective said clearly to move him to the Troll king's castle. My mistake.)

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?

Very interesting and mostly clear. I was sad that the full campaign isn't complete yet.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?

Just the opposition.

(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

The scenarios were very balanced and a good mix of different styles. My favorites were the two harder scenarios mentioned above. My least favorite was the scenario with the Saurians. Not because of anything you did, but because I don't like the Saurian faction.

In the scenario where Dolatus disappears, my whole faction was together in the southwestern quarter of the map. The scenario picked him up, teleported him to the northeastern quarter of the map (past a bunch of rather angry enemies) so that he could get buried in an earthquake. This was very artificial---it would have been better if the event had occurred closer to where he was actually standing at the time.

It was almost impossible to keep alive the one dwarf from the former colony Dolatus found, because he was an ulfserker and they are very fragile. I tried to keep him out of combat, but when we ran into serious numbers of trolls he was a goner. It would have been nice to have at least one old-time dwarf who stood some chance of surviving. :(

The troll faction you are using ends up being 50%+ shamans, as the shaman is better than the other troll lvl 1 unit (the whelp). Especially because the fire attack is magical and hits 70% of the time. My idea of a troll faction might be 5% shamans, but not 50%. Fixing this would be a big change and I don't know that I would do it, the campaign works fine as is. But they are awfully magical trolls.

The dwarvish alchemist unit annoys me, it is too weak in combat. I realize it's pretty close in statistics to the Elvish shaman, and the Elvish shaman annoys me too for exactly the same reason. This is not really a complaint, I am just blowing steam. :)

Very good campaign, thank you for making it, and I hope it gets finished some day.

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?

None that I remember.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Thanks.
My least favorite was the scenario with the Saurians. Not because of anything you did, but because I don't like the Saurian faction.
I don't recall Saurians in any of my scenarios...
I don't like them either, since it's so difficult to protect wounded units. Their main use are those rather cauntless and annoying "we really need to rip the player off of some of his valuable units using bruteforce now" scenarios in mainline. :roll:
In the scenario where Dolatus disappears, my whole faction was together in the southwestern quarter of the map. The scenario picked him up, teleported him to the northeastern quarter of the map (past a bunch of rather angry enemies) so that he could get buried in an earthquake. This was very artificial---it would have been better if the event had occurred closer to where he was actually standing at the time.
That's not possible to implement, I can't adapt to whatever situation the scenario might be in, sorry. Gets too complicated.
The troll faction you are using ends up being 50%+ shamans, as the shaman is better than the other troll lvl 1 unit (the whelp). Especially because the fire attack is magical and hits 70% of the time. My idea of a troll faction might be 5% shamans, but not 50%. Fixing this would be a big change and I don't know that I would do it, the campaign works fine as is. But they are awfully magical trolls.
Perhaps it's because of the difficulty setting. The shamans are physically weaker, and their melee doesn't do much damage. If placed at critical spots, they die faster than the normal troll whelps, that are also good against the ranged skeletons.
The dwarvish alchemist unit annoys me, it is too weak in combat. I realize it's pretty close in statistics to the Elvish shaman, and the Elvish shaman annoys me too for exactly the same reason. This is not really a complaint, I am just blowing steam. :)
On the hardest difficulty it isn't recruitable. Dwarves don't usually have a healer, it should be weak. Of course one should keep such units behind the line of stronger fighters.
projects (BfW 1.12):
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Hi,

I have a severe problem at the end of the "Old friends" chapter. After finishing I just get the message that I won and moving to the next chapter there is just the "to be continued" message and the game is over. How can that be fixed? I play on BfW 1.11.2.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

RainerT wrote:Hi,

I have a severe problem at the end of the "Old friends" chapter. After finishing I just get the message that I won and moving to the next chapter there is just the "to be continued" message and the game is over. How can that be fixed? I play on BfW 1.11.2.
Yes. Actually, I just experienced the same. I found 2 ways to work around it; you could unpack and open a save file from that scenario and edit with a text editor the next_scenario= key values in there to be 11t_Council. Putting next_scenario=11t_Council into the [endlevel] tag in the scenario file also works, but you need to restart the scenario in that case. Next update will contain it.
It looks as if this is some new engine bug.
EDIT
New version, containing the workaround, uploaded.
projects (BfW 1.12):
gooby

Post by gooby »

Good campaign so far. A few frustrating scenarios, but good overall.

"But wasn't it agreed that it is urgent to lighten up the hammer's fate?"

"Lighten up" is probably a translation from "aufhellen" or similar; I can understand it but it isn't entirely clear. You should probably put something like:

""But wasn't it agreed that it is urgent to shed light on the hammer's fate?"

(That's in "A Cry for Help".)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

How do you mean that, frustrating ? frustrating = too hard ?
The easy level is intended to actually be easy however. Something like HttT or TSG on easy.
projects (BfW 1.12):
gooby

Post by gooby »

Anonymissimus wrote:How do you mean that, frustrating ? frustrating = too hard ?
A little bit.

It isn't easy, for example, to save Krolock from bats when he is a whelp.
Anonymissimus wrote:The easy level is intended to actually be easy however. Something like HttT or TSG on easy.
I played on Normal. What I found is that some scenarios were a bit frustrating, whereas others were terrifically easy.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

gooby wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:How do you mean that, frustrating ? frustrating = too hard ?
A little bit.

It isn't easy, for example, to save Krolock from bats when he is a whelp.
Well, you should not put him onto too exposed positions. But that's something to learn in many mainline campaigns. And it's okay to require a few restarts of the player on anything else than easy. Mainline campaigns definitely do that. Even though somewhere was said a seasoned player should go through it without restarts but that's a ridiculously obvious lie. People play so much better once they know a scenario that this is necessary or otherwise it would be too easy.
I played on Normal. What I found is that some scenarios were a bit frustrating, whereas others were terrifically easy.
For instance ? Often it depends on specific scenario circumstances and cannot be changed so easily.

Near the start of this thread a few people complained about that the campaign is so easy. Over time I probably made it harder at every update. The last one contains a few changes making it easier. For instance, when you need to rescue Krolock, the Walking Corpse can no longer hit him, so you cannot loose there just because of bad luck (it happened to me...).
projects (BfW 1.12):
gooby

Post by gooby »

Anonymissimus wrote:Well, you should not put him onto too exposed positions.
Of course. That being said it's hard to see where the Dread Bats are coming from as well as keeping forward momentum going in battle. Maybe it would be a bit more manageable if there were (more) patches of hilly cave to fight from.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

gooby wrote:
Anonymissimus wrote:Well, you should not put him onto too exposed positions.
Of course. That being said it's hard to see where the Dread Bats are coming from as well as keeping forward momentum going in battle. Maybe it would be a bit more manageable if there were (more) patches of hilly cave to fight from.
The turn limit on "Lost" is pretty graceful I think, even on hard. The enemy generators are set up to slowly reduce their pace, that is, the more turns have passed, the less frequently they appear, perhaps that's not obvious. So at least for the first 10 turns after reaching the castle, there's no forward momentum, you stay in the area around the castle and try to level up some trolls, especially Krolock. Put Dulatus onto the most dangerous spots, and otherwise whelps, not shamans.
projects (BfW 1.12):