The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

egallager

Re: The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.11/1.12

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:13 am
I... don't know if it's a meme or not? What do you mean in asking?
The scenario just heralds the start of some big battle and then the enemy just retreats? That was a bit disappointing...for my Dwarven Lord squad.
The turn the enemy retreats on is determined randomly by:

Code: Select all

[set_variable]
        name=nWithdrawTurn
        rand=15..25
    [/set_variable]
Should I maybe set it to rand={ON_DIFFICULTY (15..25) (20..25) (25..30)} or something instead?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.14

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The turn the enemy retreats on is determined randomly by:
Ah, I see that I must have gotten the value of 15 on this by random. Must be my luck finally changing.

I would suggest to leave it as it is since the defence and offensive power of the player is largely determined by recall list composition.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Hey. I'm going to be testing out TEG; haven't in years. I talked a little on Discord about it, and I do remember it being fun. I like Knightmare's ideas for the final scenario(s). I tested a bit of it out on a 1.12 I use for modding; and as this is, of course, modded, I don't get the full real experience.

About monster infighting; I do think it makes sense for them to have separate sides, but personally, I would raise the gold amount for each side if they are infighting, so they don't split up into two weak armies which easily get defeated. After all, the caverns scenario does have troll/undead infighting. Very similar to "Subterraenian Struggle" in UtBS, minus the possibility to join one side.

Perhaps the Dulatus issue could be solved by having something over there he has to go to as an objective? Maybe some dialogue with him, then have the player move him over there to investigate?

Also, doesn't SotA have a fire-y cave scenario with drakes? I think I remember one from my quick run through of that campaign. That might help with ideas as well, but SotA was mainlined *after* the original author stopped working, iirc, so, maybe not as much? I suppose it is probably more north than usual as well.

I do think the best way to handle the ending, as at least Hamel appears in 2 other campaigns, might be to do an HttT-style ending, go through each character and their fate, if they died, etc. In this hypothetical end slideshow, you could also have some lore mention of why the Hammer made it to Karrag.

Those are my thoughts on campaign development. From what I remembered already, the one issue that bugged me the most was the insanely short "Lost" turn limit, which you said you corrected in Discord. I'm going to give it a go on my non-modded Wesnoth soon.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Ashmyr wrote: April 9th, 2021, 5:35 am Those are my thoughts on campaign development. From what I remembered already, the one issue that bugged me the most was the insanely short "Lost" turn limit, which you said you corrected in Discord. I'm going to give it a go on my non-modded Wesnoth soon.
Correction: I meant "prison".
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Small addition to what I last wrote. In scenario 5b, "Unknown Tunnels", the trolls are at the south of the map while the undead are at the north. However, the next scenario with Dulatus, scenario 08, "Lost", occurs *north* of these last caverns, and the trolls seem to have a settlement to the very north (there's an outpost nearby and the settlement is north-west iirc). Now, while those two troll keeps could be outposts, I think it would make sense to swap the sides in this scenario as undead suddenly appearing between the troll outposts would be..odd. I hope I'm making sense here, lol.

Also, to clarify on my Dulatus thought: Perhaps have a nearby unit give a line of dialogue, such as "Hey, I see [x], perhaps we should investigate?" and make it so the *player* must move specifically Dulatus over there to investigate, *then* trigger the event. This might require adding more turns to the turn limit in both 5a and 5b, however, as Dulatus is generally slow.
Novice campaign creator.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Progress on the new scenario I'm working on for this campaign is coming along; my checklist for what still needs to be done is in this issue on GitHub: https://github.com/cooljeanius/The_Earths_Gut/issues/8
egallager

Post by egallager »

So, update: I've released version 0.3.0 on the 1.14 add-on server! It now includes a playable preliminary version of S22, The Caverns of Flame! The ending cutscene after that is still unfinished, though, so I won't be marking this as a 1.0 release until that's done. The corresponding GitHub tag to this latest release is here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/The_Earths_Gut/releases/tag/0.3.0
Last edited by egallager on December 1st, 2022, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

egallager wrote: May 13th, 2021, 7:46 am So, update: I've released version 0.3.0 on the 1.14 add-on server! It now includes a playable preliminary version of S22, The Caverns of Flame! The ending cutscene after that is still unfinished, though, so I won't be marking this as a 1.0 release until that's done. The corresponding GitHub tag to this latest release is here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/The_Eart ... /tag/0.3.0
you forgot to add a changelog to releases. Players will have next to no clue what you changed/added other than some announcement post.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 13th, 2021, 9:24 am
egallager wrote: May 13th, 2021, 7:46 am So, update: I've released version 0.3.0 on the 1.14 add-on server! It now includes a playable preliminary version of S22, The Caverns of Flame! The ending cutscene after that is still unfinished, though, so I won't be marking this as a 1.0 release until that's done. The corresponding GitHub tag to this latest release is here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/The_Earths_Gut/releases/tag/0.3.0
you forgot to add a changelog to releases. Players will have next to no clue what you changed/added other than some announcement post.
ok should be fixed now: https://github.com/cooljeanius/The_Earths_Gut/releases/tag/0.3.0
Last edited by egallager on December 1st, 2022, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
egallager

Post by egallager »

The Earth's Gut is now translatable! I haven't finished writing all the additional dialogue that's still needed yet, but if any translators want to get a start on translating what's already written, I've decided to upload the potfile here, too, for anyone unable to download it from GitHub:
TEG.pot.gz
(56.16 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Scenario - Caverns of Flame
  • It's alright
  • i played on the save file i had from egallager since I lost all my saves after my laptop crashed and the restored one did not seem to have the save files
  • the dwarf lich's arcane resistance seems aberrant. +10%, shouldn't it be negative?
  • Not much else to say. Enemy leaders are overly aggressive, but it's fine
I guess my playthrough is over. Time for wesbreak.
Attachments
TEG-The Caverns of Flame replay.gz
(58.27 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: July 13th, 2021, 4:47 pm
  • It's alright
  • i played on the save file i had from egallager since I lost all my saves after my laptop crashed and the restored one did not seem to have the save files
  • the dwarf lich's arcane resistance seems aberrant. +10%, shouldn't it be negative?
The dwarf lich is taken directly from THoT without any changes (like, I didn't even have to copy it over, since this campaign already includes THoT's units directory anyways), so any fixing of its resistances should be done there.
egallager

Post by egallager »

• It's alright
Oh, one other thing I thought to ask about:
About the enemy leaders being aggressive, which ones did you mean specifically? I only gave one of them an AI that I intended specifically to be "aggressive", so I want to make sure it was the right one.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

egallager wrote: July 16th, 2021, 4:46 pm
  • It's alright
About the enemy leaders being aggressive, which ones did you mean specifically? I only gave one of them an AI that I intended specifically to be "aggressive", so I want to make sure it was the right one.
all of them, but it was okay. One thing I would point out is that the ambience wasn't "caverns of flame" enough for me
can you adjust the color to be a bit..warmer?
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: July 16th, 2021, 6:48 pm
egallager wrote: July 16th, 2021, 4:46 pm
  • It's alright
all of them, but it was okay. One thing I would point out is that the ambience wasn't "caverns of flame" enough for me
can you adjust the color to be a bit..warmer?
Is there a way to do that? I don't know how currently...