1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BTIsaac

Re: 1.12 SP Campaign, Fate of a Princess (& Northern Forces)

Post by BTIsaac »

Had two ice fairies a snow fairy and a Lady Blizzard. I didn't level up a bunch because i also had a bunch of other veterans, i had no idea i won't have humans after prestim. I also had no idea the last mission will be a dungeon crawl, there was no indication that I'm gonna be fighting undead (they weren't so much as alluded to before), and i didn't even realize Ice fairies had arcane damage until i actually used one to kill a skeleton (all the others had cold).
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hah, oh, yes, you have no humans after Prestim, of course… and it's always good policy to keep at least one heavy hitter with each of the 6 types of attack. Arcane/magical attacks are always useful IMO.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I had two ice fairies (lost one to a bunch of shadows), a dwarf lord and a rune master, a loyal elvish champion with the fire sword, an elvish marshal with holy water, and 4 heroes with magic attacks that are either arcane or fire. It would've been enough if i didn't get hit with an army (including a friggin bone dragon) that came out of nowhere, after i used up most of my turn, lost a bunch of dudes and was about to finish off the bad guy. And like i said, not a single recruitable unit that is suited to fighting them, except for the drakes - and they're lawful.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

I've just checked my replay. I went in with two snow fairies and ice fairies, plus a snow druid and an ice sorceress.
And then recruited a regular shaman and upgraded her to sorceress within two turns (it takes a bit of luck to get your lads to leave a Lv. 2 skeleton almost dead). So that and the two vials of holy water left me with a total of 8 arcane attackers, overlapping with 6 impact/slow, plus a couple dwarves who could use hammer attacks. After that it's a matter of just turtling your way forward.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Hi, I'm playing Northern Forces at the moment and I've now met the Skeleton Steerer. I like the campaign and all I want to mention is that the advancement of this unit does not make much sense. Why would it lose it's ranged attack?
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Huh. It does, and it's not even an alternate advancement. That does go against the principle that sazs everz unit must have at least one advancement that's a strict upgrade in every sapect.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

'Retrieving Soradoc'
Some indication as to how much dmg a skeleton bomber does upon exploding would be nice. (Just like the indication in the next scenario.)
ResExsention

Post by ResExsention »

Konrad2 wrote: April 29th, 2018, 5:47 pm Is this still being maintained?
Well, I wouldn't say so. But if nobody objects, it is open for someone to take over.

On that note, I post here to notify the people here that I'd like to take over Fate of a Princess, and if nobody objects, then it would be an honor to update and maintain a beautifully made campaign. Yeah, I know. I enjoyed this campaign. Thanks for making this.
I am a ranger and my WML knives will implant themselves in your back.

Creator of the abandoned campaign Royalties Forgotten and the work in progress campaign Purger of Evil.
Maintainer of Fate of a Princess.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

BTIsaac wrote: February 28th, 2018, 8:40 pm I must say, i enjoyed this campaign all the way to the end, at which point it became the most frustrating thing ever. I've seen terrible tomato surprises in this game, but that last one was outright sadistic. As if fighting undead in a cave with barely enough leveled units that aren't drakes or saurians and ZERO recruits that can be used against them. If only there was some sort of indication that I'm going to need dozens of ice fairies in the final scenario, i would've leveled up more than just the two.
But no. The moment i hit the final boss i discover that i need to sit through another hour of this battle. I mean this was an awesome campaign, and i loved every minute of it, but that ending.
It fell apart for me a little earlier in the last scenario -- as soon as the revenants appeared. Two revenants can do more damage in one turn than my heroes have HP (max). Now, the AI doesn't ALWAYS hit for max damage, but it's not going to fail to do so enough turns in a row that I can make it to a keep.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

dark sorceress: check that unicorn is alive before dialog with unicorn

ford of thoria: save to stay > safe to stay

hidden fortress: lier > liar, looser > loser
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Well, I'm [perhaps briefly] back on the Wesnoth forums after a long hiatus, and while I'm here I was planning to correct any typos and bad English that had accumulated since I last touched this project, and update it to work on the latest Wesnoth version.

Historically I have tried hard only to look at dialogue, so the plot and campaign code and balance is pretty much all SkyOne's.

But I have to agree with past feedback that having to fight a formidable army of undead in the final adventure, without the slightest hint anywhere in the campaign that you were going to need to, and after you've had some useful recruiting options taken away from you is kinda naughty. There may be an in-story explanation for it, but pulling out a final-battle set of enemies the player's forces are ill-prepared to deal with is not very nice, even if it is a challenge.

However, I'd prefer not to change any of SkyOne's plotting. While I could foreshadow this, by putting some undead in earlier, for example, and tweaking the dialogue, I hope to change as little as possible.

Addressing this complaint gracefully may require me to work backwards several scenarios rejigging things. And then that's bound to cause balance problems that I didn't want to be worrying about. Or else I'd have to dramatically change the bad guys in the last scenario. So, lots of little tweaks, or one big change?

I've not played this through for years and I'm not personally invested in one path or the other; I'll also message SkyOne - maybe he'll pop up again to help. In the meantime, anyone who's played and enjoyed this campaign - I'd be glad to listen to your suggestions, especially if you have a handle on how to rebalance a high-powered final scenario. I'm not experienced at all in that and I'm not going to have time to do many iterations.

gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Simons Mith wrote: July 20th, 2021, 12:33 pm However, I'd prefer not to change any of SkyOne's plotting. While I could foreshadow this, by putting some undead in earlier, for example, and tweaking the dialogue, I hope to change as little as possible.
You could just add some more holy water.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

I could, but if you'll forgive my day job leaking through, that seems like... poor security practice. :-)
Perfectly reasonable to have enough holy water to anoint a visitor or two; not so smart if there's enough to anoint an army.

Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

OK
About 1/3 of the flaky dialogue that has been added since last time is now spruced up again
There's one or two other plot 'gaps' I'm thinking about addressing

BTW: Anyone super-sensitive to spoilers, tread with caution from now on.

Re the last adventure, my current first choice is for the party to realize that undead are likely
and come up with a workable ad-hoc counter. For example, (five broad possibilities under
consideration)
Spoiler: