Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeffgreen

Re: Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Post by jeffgreen »

Wesnoth 1.10.1 on easy
Regrets

I think I've got to alter a config file (according to Anonymissimus). Is that the save file?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

The config file that you're after is the scenario file. You'll want to go to where your add-on campaigns are stored (different depending on your os and settings, but you should be able to search "Tale of a Mage" to find it), open the folder for this campaign, then the folder called "scenarios".
The file should be called something along the lines of "regrets.cfg" and you just need to change the "result=continue" line to say "result=victory".
Hope that's what you're after.
UO.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

UnwiseOwl
many thanks, I've managed to correct the file and get past that one, but now I've the same error on The Plan

First attempt didn't fix it, but it's way past my bedtime - I'll try again tomorrow.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Yeah.
Chances are that you'll have the same issue with each of the scenarios in the campaign, since this one hasn't been updated to the new standards. Sorry that I forgot to mention that :oops: . On the plus side, now that you know what you're looking for and how to solve it, it's probably a 5 minute job on the outside.
Enjoy the campaign,
UO.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

UnwiseOwl wrote:The file should be called something along the lines of "regrets.cfg" and you just need to change the "result=continue" line to say "result=victory".
Bear in mind, however, that doing so won't have the same behaviour as the old result=continue key.
To simulate it better, you should add also the following keys to [endlevel] (see http://wiki.wesnoth.org/DirectActionsWML#.5Bendlevel.5D):

Code: Select all

carryover_report=no
linger_mode=no
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
jeffgreen

Post by jeffgreen »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
UnwiseOwl wrote:The file should be called something along the lines of "regrets.cfg" and you just need to change the "result=continue" line to say "result=victory".
Bear in mind, however, that doing so won't have the same behaviour as the old result=continue key.
To simulate it better, you should add also the following keys to [endlevel] (see http://wiki.wesnoth.org/DirectActionsWML#.5Bendlevel.5D):

Code: Select all

carryover_report=no
linger_mode=no
Elvish_Hunter, without trying to learn WML, am I right to assume that the additional keys are because it's the final level?

I can't delete - but I'm wrong please ignore. Sorry
WhiteRager

Post by WhiteRager »

When I tried to run this on version 1.10.5, I got the following two errors before the campaign failed to load. I tried re-installing the add-on, and even failed to successfully delete it.

AMLA_TOUGH was reported missing from the main campaign file

And the scenario Townsquare was reported as unknown.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

WhiteRager wrote:AMLA_TOUGH was reported missing from the main campaign file
Probably it's because some unit uses said macro, that was removed from mainline. There are two possible solutions:
1) replace every instance of AMLA_TOUGH with AMLA_DEFAULT (recommended)
2) if it's critical for balancing that the unit must not be healed upon leveling, pick the AMLA_TOUGH macro from a old version of Wesnoth, and insert it inside the campaign.
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Will this be updated to 1.11.2?
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Probably it's because some unit uses said macro, that was removed from mainline. There are two possible solutions:
2) if it's critical for balancing that the unit must not be healed upon leveling, pick the AMLA_TOUGH macro from a old version of Wesnoth, and insert it inside the campaign.
If anyone wants to know the culprit files are the Fire Ghost and Saurian Swampstalker. Change {AMLA_TOUGH 3} to {AMLA_DEFAULT} in both of those files. This campaign has been downloaded a ton, and it's been broken the entire time? :doh:
Cashcam24

Post by Cashcam24 »

Will this campaign be fixed cause I can't open it without an error
ITParasite

Post by ITParasite »

Sooooo, been gone a little while. (ahem) You know, youthful teenage years taking up so much of one's time. I've also discovered that I've forgotten the password to my SkeleRanger account and my email associated with it no longer exists.

That being said, I'm ready to pull this campaign out of the mud again if the demand is high enough. WML was a classic part of my childhood coding spree so the nostalgia surrounding this campaign won't let me kill it. See you all soon!

[Dives headfirst into the WML wiki]
--Formerly SkeleRanger
Zarkussell

Post by Zarkussell »

What additional add ons do I need to download to get the campaign to work? I keep getting the following message.
Attachments
image.png
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

ITParasite wrote:I've also discovered that I've forgotten the password to my SkeleRanger account and my email associated with it no longer exists.
Forum admins exist for a reason :) Just send a PM to shadowm and he'll be able to fix your account.
Zarkussell wrote:What additional add ons do I need to download to get the campaign to work? I keep getting the following message.
None. You'll need a decent text editor instead. See here:
Crow_T wrote:
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Probably it's because some unit uses said macro, that was removed from mainline. There are two possible solutions:
If anyone wants to know the culprit files are the Fire Ghost and Saurian Swampstalker. Change {AMLA_TOUGH 3} to {AMLA_DEFAULT} in both of those files. This campaign has been downloaded a ton, and it's been broken the entire time? :doh:
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

I have updated this campaign and uploaded it to the 1.16 servers, as it was mentioned as an abandoned campaign (no update in 10 years) that people wanted to play on the discord.

If SkeleRanger comes back, I'd be more than happy to pass over the _server.pbl file and password; my only goal is to preserve their work!

Changes I've made:
-------------------------
-Fixed any WML errors or deprecations that threw up errors
-Fixed a few typos
-Fixed the AMLA_TOUGH bug mentioned above
-Fixed the non-recruiting enemies in the last couple scenarios
-Fixed several units spawning inside of walls

I don't want to change the essence of this game, but I do plan on making a few quality of life and balance adjustments. These include
-Adding more decorations to the first few levels (like fences or campfires or more terrain, etc.)
-Getting rid of most bottle necks in cave levels
-Adding more roads to most cave levels to make travel easier
-Fixing animation issues (the 'battle prince' flickers out of existence for some actions, like leadership)
-Balancing gold (I think you end up with 1000 gold early on but very little in later scenarios?)

If anyone plays through and has suggestions about balance, please let me know!

Edit:
I've updated this campaign. Following feedback via DM, I have:
-Adjusted the dialog when killing Caryn
-Made assassin leaders passive
-Fixed units moving through the trapdoor so that they now remove the shroud

In addition, I have:
-Added decorations to many of the early, plainer stages
-Replaced the door image used indoors
-Removed most bottlenecks from the caves, except in the very first cave level, as the bottlenecks there help keep the weak mages alive
-Added cave floors to all cave levels that were missing them to enable quicker speed

I have not addressed animations or gold balance
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die