Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkeleRanger

Re: Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Post by SkeleRanger »

Still working on adapting it to 1.9, but I was wondering if people had any suggestions regarding the story. I've got it all laid out, but now I need to fine tune it.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Muahahahaha! The 1.9 server thought it was free from me, but no! I have successfully updated Tale of a Mage for 1.9 in v1.0.2.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Rowanthepreacher

Post by Rowanthepreacher »

Just a little note from my playthrough of TOAM. When you recall the apprentice mages, they turn up as full mages. When I check the unit description, they're mages, but in reality, they're still apprentices. They level up into mages, despite being mages already. Xp, attacks, hp, all of those are exactly as they were at apprentice mage level.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:Just a little note from my playthrough of TOAM. When you recall the apprentice mages, they turn up as full mages. When I check the unit description, they're mages, but in reality, they're still apprentices. They level up into mages, despite being mages already. Xp, attacks, hp, all of those are exactly as they were at apprentice mage level.
When you fix this you can now in 1.9 use
[modify_unit]
[filter]
type=Apprentice Mage
[/filter]
type=Mage
[/modify_unit]
Current downside is xp will forcefully be set to 0. All other attributes are supposed to change (or not change) correctly.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Rowanthepreacher wrote:Just a little note from my playthrough of TOAM. When you recall the apprentice mages, they turn up as full mages. When I check the unit description, they're mages, but in reality, they're still apprentices. They level up into mages, despite being mages already. Xp, attacks, hp, all of those are exactly as they were at apprentice mage level.
Which version was this?
Anonymissimus wrote: When you fix this you can now in 1.9 use
[modify_unit]
[filter]
type=Apprentice Mage
[/filter]
type=Mage
[/modify_unit]
Current downside is xp will forcefully be set to 0. All other attributes are supposed to change (or not change) correctly.
I think that works for now, in the 1.9 version. Thanks.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Getting a few bugs in it on wesnoth 1.9.6.

1st scenario 1st turn: <WML> Error: empty side= and no [filter_side] is deprecated

Same error occurs on turn 3 when the bandits arrive

Then at the start of scenario 3 (where they've informed Lord whatshisname) getting a major bug that causes it to crash:

An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is:
Invalid value in the result key for [end_level]

It goes on to state that when reporting the bug to include the following:

Condition 'result.empty() || result == "victory" || result == "defeat" failed at src\game_events.cpp:2235 in
function 'wml_func_endlevel'. Extra development issue: result = 'continue_no_save'.

When I click OK it returns me to the main menu.
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

MRDNRA wrote:Getting a few bugs in it on wesnoth 1.9.6.

1st scenario 1st turn: <WML> Error: empty side= and no [filter_side] is deprecated

This was set deprecated in 1.9.6, it's still perfectly valid in 1.9.5. Also, in an other thread I was assured by developers, that despite deprecation, it will be kept working looooong long time yet.

I wouldn't bother much about it, until some time (after it's out) you decide to port to 1.10.x
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hey,

You should change the rank of this to something greater than 400. It currently shows up amongst the mainline campaigns in the Campaign menu, I almost overlooked it. (BfW 1.9.9)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Tron91

Post by Tron91 »

MRDNRA wrote:Getting a few bugs in it on wesnoth 1.9.6.

Then at the start of scenario 3 (where they've informed Lord whatshisname) getting a major bug that causes it to crash:

An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is:
Invalid value in the result key for [end_level]

It goes on to state that when reporting the bug to include the following:

Condition 'result.empty() || result == "victory" || result == "defeat" failed at src\game_events.cpp:2235 in
function 'wml_func_endlevel'. Extra development issue: result = 'continue_no_save'.

When I click OK it returns me to the main menu.
This can be corrected simply by putting 'result=victory' in the [end_level] tags. I did that and they campaign went on smoothly.
Evander

Post by Evander »

version 1.0.2.

following bug appears on 1.9.9 when trying to start the campaign

tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

version 1.0.3 also fails with same error in wesnoth 1.10
following that it gets this and then quits back to main screen:
error general: Unknown scenario: '00_1_Townsquare'
vicente

Post by vicente »

tr0ll wrote:version 1.0.3 also fails with same error in wesnoth 1.10
following that it gets this and then quits back to main screen:
error general: Unknown scenario: '00_1_Townsquare'
The error is caused by the removal of the "AMLA_TOUGH" macro since wesnoth 1.9.7. It can be fixed by replacing "AMLA_TOUGH" with "AMLA_DEFAULT" in two custom unit files. SkeleRanger may have other solutions as well.
I upload the fixed version 1.0.3 here.
Attachments
Tale_of_a_Mage.zip
(5.07 MiB) Downloaded 424 times
Eymerich

Post by Eymerich »

I'm trying to play this campaign in version 1.10.3 but i have a problem. At the end of 4th level, 00_4_Regrets, i have this error:
<<Valore non valido nella chiave [end_level]>>
i have the italian version but i think this could be a good translate:
<<invalid value in [end_level] key>>.
this is also another information that is shown by the game when the error occurs:
Condition 'result.empty() || result="victory" || result="defeat" failed at src/game_events.cpp:2398 in function 'wml_func_endlevel' Extra development information result='continue'
Do u have any suggests?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Guessing wildly...search for a tag named [endlevel] in the scenario's cfg file where this occurs (hopefully there's only one), and change the (probably)
result='continue
line to
result=victory
(and add a save=no line, but not neccessary)

There was a change in the engine some time ago that only victory and defeat are supported.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
gooby

Post by gooby »

I don't know anything about how development is administrated here but I'm correcting these errors as I go along in the campaign.

If anyone is interested in these fixes, let me know.