Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Re: Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Post by StandYourGround »

Bugs/Gameplay quirks:

In first scenario--

- No message after Olaf dies
- The AI being overprotective of Dillon actually works to the player's advantage, and the peasants scored plenty of kills and level-ups. While this may have been intended, it gives the impression that the village could have survived the attack on its own. Olaf and his wife would easily have survived if they were not suspiciously suicidal. It in fact seemed too easy to have won the scenario by killing all enemies if time allowed.

In second scenario--

- The thugs are senselessly bent on killing ONLY Dillon. This can be used to the the player's advantage, since the thugs start far enough apart that it is easy enough to kill one thug before the other can reach, as long as Dillon is leveled up to at least a Peasant (In 1.6, I had managed to level Dillon to a Swordsman in Scenario 1, but this time he was just a Peasant). I was also able to give Dillon's sidekick plenty of XP, since he was never the focus of the Thugs' aggression.

In fourth scenario:

- Dillon speaks the line "that didn't go over well". It is obviously meant to be spoken by someone else...
I will now resume lurking silently.
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

StandYourGround wrote:Bugs/Gameplay quirks:

In first scenario--

- No message after Olaf dies
- The AI being overprotective of Dillon actually works to the player's advantage, and the peasants scored plenty of kills and level-ups. While this may have been intended, it gives the impression that the village could have survived the attack on its own. Olaf and his wife would easily have survived if they were not suspiciously suicidal. It in fact seemed too easy to have won the scenario by killing all enemies if time allowed.
I can't figure out why the message won't fire, but I've turned down the AI's protection of Dillon.
StandYourGround wrote: In second scenario--

- The thugs are senselessly bent on killing ONLY Dillon. This can be used to the the player's advantage, since the thugs start far enough apart that it is easy enough to kill one thug before the other can reach, as long as Dillon is leveled up to at least a Peasant (In 1.6, I had managed to level Dillon to a Swordsman in Scenario 1, but this time he was just a Peasant). I was also able to give Dillon's sidekick plenty of XP, since he was never the focus of the Thugs' aggression.
Hmm, that's weird because the AI is supposed to treat them exactly the same. It might be because Dillon is the leader. I'll fiddle with the settings a bit.
StandYourGround wrote: In fourth scenario:

- Dillon speaks the line "that didn't go over well". It is obviously meant to be spoken by someone else...
I'm assuming you advanced him to either a Swordsman, Pikeman, Bowman or Spearman?
I added a qualifier to ensure that it won't be Dillon in future.

Thanks.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

1.0.0 is finally done!

I've added the last playable scenario as well as the epilogue. I'd like to know what people think.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
JuCFruit

Post by JuCFruit »

Congrats on finishing, but found a bug. In the level near the end, where you see the lich come in and kill the two dwarves, after that, In the next scenario, I got the lich and the draug on the recall list.
If you're going downhill, you might as well ride.
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Whoops! Thanks for telling me.

EDIT: Fixed and uploaded. v1.0.1
Will only take effect if you watch the dwarvish scenario again.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
King_Gamekeeper

Post by King_Gamekeeper »

There is a bug in A tale of a mage, where after the sceanario Tyrant, where the lich lord and a Draug come in and kill the Dwarven guards, then it moves onto the next scenario called The last battle. When i went to recall trops guess what was there? The Lich lord as well as the Draug. Thought i might post it and see if others have this advantage...i mean bug. :lol2:

I've also noticed that the last few sceanarios non of the allies or enemys recruiting even though the coding is right.
All Hail ME

Wow, I've been playing this game since i was 10, that was in 2003 when it came out!
t3st3r

Post by t3st3r »

Looks like I got bug in Tale of a Mage.
My configuration is: Battle for Wesnoth version 1.8.0 under Kubuntu AMD64. Tale of Mage 1.0.1 (latest available at 1.8 default server).

Campaign generally works OK for me. However on "Orcish Supremacy" map there is the following problem happens: there is 2 unknown units (fighter and fighteress) appear with 2 bodyguards each (royal guards). I suspect these were intended to be Konrad and Li'Sar. As a consequence, Konrad and Li'Sar disappear without explanation, which is strange.

Screenshots and savegame attached.
Fighteress.png
Fighter.png
Attachments
ToaM-Orcish_Supremacy-Auto-Save1.gz
(45.84 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I finished playing ToaM. I must say that the latest scenarios were terribly easy because... my enemies didn't recruited anything! :shock: So, I opened your 22_Legends_of_the_Dwerrows.cfg and 24_The_Last_Battle.cfg files, and noticed that, in several [side] tags, you have, for example:
recruits=Troll, Troll Rocklobber, Troll Whelp
Now, recruits= must be recruit= and, after each comma, please remove the space: it should be Troll,Troll Rocklobber,Troll Whelp otherwise the space will be considered integrating part of the unit id.
Apart from this bug, I'm glad to see that this campaign is finished! :D
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Ah, excuse me. I will fix that.

@t3st3r:
These units were supposed to be other generals, but it seems to be causing a lot of confusion, so I might just have to remove them. Konrad and Li'sar don't show up again until the epilogue (and that's only a mention of them).

Thanks!
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

bump

Sorry. Been busy for a while. I've fixed several bugs and I'm currently updating the campaign for the 1.9 branch. Hope to have something up soon.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I ran wmllint and wmlscope on your current 1.8 version. You must fix all unresolved macros since it won't run in 1.9 otherwise (It's a pain doing that one-by-one by restarting wesnoth I'm guessing.) Unresolved images should be fixed too, they appear as a flashing working peasant ingame (or something). Everything else are also possible bugs. Regarding compatibility-breaking wml syntax changes in 1.9...I can't think of a single one so far.
wmllint:
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

reason for double post:
Your message contains 61421 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.
wmlscope:
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Just to complete what Anonymissimus said:
Anonymissimus wrote:"E:\Programme\WesnothTrunk\userdata\data\add-ons\Tale_of_a_Mage\scenarios\00_1_Townsquare.cfg", line 545: Dillon speaks in his/her death event
To fix this kind of errors, usually is enough to convert die events to last breath events, in my experience.
Anonymissimus wrote:"E:\Programme\WesnothTrunk\userdata\data\add-ons\Tale_of_a_Mage\scenarios\00_1_Townsquare.cfg", line 627: Unresolved reference -> VICTORY_AND_DEFEAT_MUSIC
If I remember correctly, VICTORY_AND_DEFEAT_MUSIC was a macro used in 1.4, that was removed because from 1.6 onwards Wesnoth automatically adds such musics when ending the scenario. So you can just remove it. :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Thanks. That makes sense.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Okay. I'm going through the campaign one more time to root out any final bugs before I move on. Here's the current roadmap for Tale of a Mage.
  • Make some sort of reward for those who level Dillon and Lhyron up in the 00_1_Regrets scenario.
  • Fix a bug in Regrets involving the death events of Dillon and Lhyron. It doesn't mess up gameplay but its not doing what I want it to.
  • Tale of a Mage ties in with Coming of the Storm by TrashMan, so I need to add that tie-in somewhere between scenarios 14-20.
  • Redo the art!!!
  • Tweak the AI for Old Enemies scenario.
  • Sort out the confusing 1.9 wmllint messages.
I will likely add more as they come up. Thanks for everybody's support.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage