Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkeleRanger

Re: Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Post by SkeleRanger »

Added 1 playable scenario that is probably still unbalanced. Use it well...
Added 1 really quick dialogue scenario.

1 more scenario and the epilogue and I'm hopefully done. :D Yes!
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Sounds great! I've played through the prologue scenarios so far, and have some comments:
Spoiler:
EDIT: A few scenarios more, and comments:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I will now resume lurking silently.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

ToaM 0.8.2
-Townsquare: The flower is still missing, SET_IMAGE macro is wrong.
-First_Try/The_Plan: Lhyron (again) looses already gained experience between these two levels.
-Old_Enemies: The various protect/target ai settings now result in the headmaster ai player doing almost nothing at all. It recruits, and then keeps all its troops together in a group near its keep; it hardly ever moves, never attacks and never gets attacked. The two arch mages are save, though^^
-The_Prince_Of_Wesnoth: Use
passive_leader=yes
for Arand. He almost committed suicide.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
dvormann

Post by dvormann »

0.8.2 with Wesnoth 1.6.4

Finished playing the campaign on hard.

Townsquare
Disallow Dillon recruiting anything. Beating Caryn (or having to flee due to time limit while beating him) breaks the story.

Council and regrets:
Loyal soldiers (Relmon and Wurran) have a different random trait in both scenarios!
Solution: Generate random trait once for both scenarios, not twice!

First Try
A nice scenario. I like the map and the tactical problem!

Slinian is not intelligent but will be in the next scenario.
Solution: Make Slinian intelligent.

If Slinian and/or Jamarn level up to advanced mage they return as advanced apprentice mages for the next scenario. Any experience points they gain are lost as well. That may or may not be fine with Slinian as he has to die in "First Try". But Jamarn ought to keep any experience he has. If he survives.

The Plan
Elycla and Leogwyn have random traits. They had none in First Try.
Solution: Remove random traits. But consider "Consequences" and "Old Enemies". Everyone has to have identical traits in each scenario.

The Catacombs
The first half is too long. The way to the trapdoor ought to be shorter.

Message when an apprentice dies (role "doomsday" in scenario file, has to be mage or apprentice mage): What happens if noone is recalled, Mordrid levelled up twice to red mage and Marcos dies? There is no apprentice mage and no mage to talk.

Old Enemies
Slinian used to be intelligent at the academy. Suppose he still is? There are more scenarios with him in the future. Make him intelligent everywhere.
Side 2 (The Headmaster) recruits, then keeps all units around his castle. The forces do not fight at all.

The Prince of Wesnoth
Arand II is so stupid. (Consider trait "dim". Just kidding.) Keeping him alive requires a lot of sacrifices. Very hard map.

Royal Greetings, Uneasy Tidings, Undead Threat, The Elves
The royal family has random traits. And different ones in each scenario. When the fighting starts they have none.
Solution: Remove random traits everywhere.

The Investigation
Slinian has random traits! Remove them.

Shadow from the past, Old Friends, Orcish Supremacy
Maps require a turn limit. Otherwise you get tons of gold.

Daring rescue
Eliminating that Deathblade in the SE on turn two is very easy. Consider giving him the village to start with!

Battle for the Swamps
Difficult. I won by not capturing the village to the north on turn one. Galdrier takes it. Dillon moves into Galdriel's castle oin turn two. That way Dillon looses a turn of recruiting but Galdriel stays safe in that village. He does not even use Dillon's vacated starting castle to recruit!

Orcish Supremacy
Checking the status table on turn one, I knew a large force with a lot of gold would turn up. Looking at the terrain I knew exactly where they were going to build the castle. It was no suprise whatsoever.
Suggestions to hide the dark_alliance force better:
- Do not name them dark_alliance. Change name when they turn up.
- Do not give them gold at the start. Instead, give them gold when they appear. That way players might suspect "harmless" cuttlefish.
- Place some unsuspicious forests and/or hills instead of grassland to camouflage the castle location.

Shadows
Gladoc had no traits in "the Council". He has random traits now. Remove random traits.

Units

- Prince description says he were dextrous and nimble like a thief. Terrein Defense values do not match that description. Remove text.

- Battle Prince
Graphics show heavy armour. "Skirmisher" does not really fit.
Suggestion: Clone fighter line for junior prince line.

- Commander (female)
Text descriptions says something about a bow. Change text.
When levelling up from Commander to Lady Resistances and defence values change drastically. Change Lady values to commander values.
Suggestion: Clone junior princess line for fighteress line.

- King and Queen are level four units. However, leadership is level three only. That was a nasty suprise when adjectant units did not fight like I expected them to. Give both leadership level 4.

- A Legendary Mage is so powerfull. He really ought to be level 5, not 4 while the Mystical Mage could already be level 4.
"m" is the key used most in Wesnoth.
jsacton

Post by jsacton »

Hey there. I forget the name of the scenario but I was playing the one where
Spoiler:
Anyway the first time the undead recruit, they recruit this light thing. It then says unrecognizable unit and goes to the Wesnoth main menu. Is this normal and what should I do?

EDIT: I am on version 1.5.8 and it is the scenario "Shadows"
admiralspark

Post by admiralspark »

First, let me congratulate you on a job well done. This campaign is excellent as far as storyline goes, seems to be fairly balanced, et all. I must say, I enjoy a campaign that focuses on magic-users so much.

I only have one small complaint having to do with the final scenario in the newest version:
Spoiler:
"In German you'd be called a "Stehaufmaennchen" (about: stand-up-guy)...you're absent from wesnoth so long that one thinks your campaign is dead but you always come back. ;)" -Anonymissimus about SkeleRanger and ToaM
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

That is the last level made so far, and it is unfinished.
I will now resume lurking silently.
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Updated to 1.8.

EDIT:
admiralspark wrote:
Spoiler:
That is a problem. Fixed it.

Fixed the bug in Shadows scenario.

Thanks for all the support!
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

In German you'd be called a "Stehaufmaennchen" (about: stand-up-guy)...you're absent from wesnoth so long that one thinks your campaign is dead but you always come back. ;)
Anyway, ToaM was always one of my favorites and the first user made campaign I played (I think) and which taught me wml, too. Nice to see it back up and running.
although there's still the missing flower in scen #1 which I reported almost a year ago :annoyed:
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Anonymissimus wrote:In German you'd be called a "Stehaufmaennchen" (about: stand-up-guy)...you're absent from wesnoth so long that one thinks your campaign is dead but you always come back. ;)
Caryn wrote:You forget you are dealing with a necromancer
Sweet! I'm learning German in school, so that's cool to know.
Anonymissimus wrote:although there's still the missing flower in scen #1 which I reported almost a year ago :annoyed:
:augh: Augh! I know! It bugs me too! I tried replacing SET_IMAGE with PLACE_IMAGE, but I think flower3.png doesn't exist anymore. I'm going to have to look at that again.

Nope, that isn't it. :annoyed: Must be the directory. I'll figure this out eventually, I swear.

EDIT: Ah ha! Found it! It's

Code: Select all

{PLACE_IMAGE items/flower3.png 14 8}
instead of

{PLACE_IMAGE 14 8 items/flower3.png}
I love WML. :P
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I've got a bug in the scenario "Shadows". When I end my first turn, an error occurs when the blue ally try to recruit. The error is :

An error probably due to non-valid WML have occured :
Unknown unit type : Javeleer while scoring units.

Then the error :
Condition 'enemy_info' failed at ai/default/ai.cpp:1348 in function 'get_combat_score_vs'.

The error is fatal to the scenario : I come back to the title screen.
markm

Post by markm »

It probably meant Javelineer.

Likely sed -i -e 's/Javeleer/Javelineer/' scenarios/*.cfg would fix it if you had such a command available and were in that add-on's directory... :)

-MarkM- ("knotwork"; Digitalis Data Services.)
Developing Between the Worlds campaign portmanteau.
Have you eaten today?
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I found where is the bug :

[side]
	type=General
	id=Cilthanthier
	name= _"Cilthanthier"
	side=8
	canrecruit=yes
	recruit=Spearman,Swordsman,Pikeman,Javeleer,Bowman,Longbowman,Mage,White Mage,Red Mage,Dark Adept,Dark Sorcerer
	controller=ai
	team_name=dark_alliance
	gold=300
[/side]
Replacing "Javeleer" by "Javelineer" line 106 in 20_Shadows.cfg works, but it's not the only error :
Unknown unit type : Boneshooter while scoring units.

It's line 118 : "Boneshooter" should be replaced by "Bone Shooter"
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Are you using 0.9.0? I believe I fixed this for the 0.9.1. If not, I can re-upload.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Feufochmar

Post by Feufochmar »

I was using version 0.9.0, I haven't noticed that the campaign has been upgraded (I only have a restricted access to the Internet this moment, so I had to download the extensions throw the web interface)