Campaign: Love To Death

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ydcl

Re: Campaign: Love To Death

Post by ydcl »

Thanks
Crucibal

Post by Crucibal »

Why when I beat Test Of Faith it says Error:Unknown Scenario??
Pp2

Post by Pp2 »

Crucibal wrote:Why when I beat Test Of Faith it says Error:Unknown Scenario??
Because Geos as abandoned the campaign before ending it. Dropping the campaign with only 12 scenario.

Also, only an half hour before I wrote that, I released v 0.5.0 including a 13th scenario that I made myself. As it is the first scenario I write out of nothing and as I am not the original writer of the plot of this campaign, I am open to any comment about it.

IMPORTANT: If you have played "test of power" before downloading v 0.5.0, it is mandatory to replay it again as I modified the code of "test of power" and "test of faith". If you don't do so, the campaign will not work as intended in the new scenario.
Geos

Post by Geos »

Woa!!

I definitely did not expect this.

I thought this campaign in 3 arc. I first did one Arc, to the death of the master Kaliostali. I abandoned the campagn, Then I came back, and made another arc, updated the code for another version... al that.

At the moment it was slightly disappointing to see no reaction from the community. Now I come back and I find that somebody is even continuing the campaign!!

I'm impressed. Well, I have not managed to download the game yet for some unknown problem with the repositories of my Karmic since the last update. But I'm back, and I have a pretty good idea about how the third arc should go. Anyway, since somebody has been bothering to update and fix the campaign, I think this third arc should have a little bit of cooperation.

What do you think?
That's ridiculous, dragons have no windows...
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Ciao, Geos

Sorry for that happening.
I actually PMed one of the moderators to ask about that is possible to do or not when Pp2 updated this campaign on the 1.7/1.8 server.
However, according to GPL, it is possible to do.

I was actually disappointed about it as a campaign author because anyone can update or steal old campaigns without author's permission under GPL. (of course, asking it first is more polite) Especially campaigns like yours, author's empathy is into the campaign. One of mine is the same thing as yours. So once, I really thought to delete mine (FoaP, not Drake's one) on the server when I heard it. But now, I accepted it because I have to...

As my opinion, it is quite your campaign. So you can delete it, then re-upload it with your code, dialogues, and images on the server. And Pp2 probably had better send what he changed to Geos.
Also, being cool each other is important. 8) (I think this is the discussable topic with other users and the moderators)

P.S. no offense to Pp2.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Geos

Post by Geos »

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm flattered to see how the campaign has taken a new life in the form of the community keeping it alive. It is true that I have quite an idea of how the story ends and all, and I would like that to be respected, but I'm fine with including contributions of people who have not only played, but even took responsibility for it an update it.

I think I'm going to first play it (the pp2 version) and then I will see what to do.

ciao
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Geos wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm flattered to see how the campaign has taken a new life in the form of the community keeping it alive. It is true that I have quite an idea of how the story ends and all, and I would like that to be respected, but I'm fine with including contributions of people who have not only played, but even took responsibility for it an update it.

I think I'm going to first play it (the pp2 version) and then I will see what to do.

ciao
Good! and sorry for assuming too much. It seems I cared about it more than you did.
I played it on BfW 1.4 in 2008, then really like it although the game stopped at the middle of the cave map at that time.
It sounded really sad, so she would die, wouldn't she? (you do not really have to answer it on the forum :smile:)

Ciao
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Pp2

Post by Pp2 »

Hey geos, good to see you here.
First of all, I did not wanted to steal the campaign, just to update it as geos has not logged in for 8 month and I really like that campaign. I also mentioned in the campaign that geos was the original author.

Secondly, as geos is back now, I agree that he/she decide how will be the third arch as he/she is the original author and also because I am mostly a coder, not a writer and neither an artist. If geos wants, I will help and/or send him the most up to date code of the campaign.

Also, I have a few comments about the plot of the campaign (like SkyOne said, you do not really have to answer it on the forum or at all)
1.Firstly, I noticed that in scenario 6, the story will not make sense if Kaliostali has been killed as the narrator ( Aleva ) say that Kaliostali will not like the fact Karos stayed with her no matter if kaliostali is alive.

2.According to the description you putted on the 1.5.x campaign server and the end of the scenario 12, Aleva as to somehow come back from the death, but according to all canonical wesnoth campaign, I hardly see how it could happen.

2a. According to mainline campaign, walking corpses don't have a soul and thus can't think, but according to the very beginning of the campaign, Aleva still have free will. Skeleton and derivative can think, but they don't seem to be abble to get rid themselve of the will of their master. The last possibility seem to be ghost, but according to what you say in the campaign, I can't figure who would do that, at least not from the characters you already presented.

About the code, I can'T figure out why, but the cemeteary keep doesn't work in the map editor, just the standard cemetary does. I did not managed to figure out why.

Oh, and this campaign is really good, good work with the plot, geos.
Rentsu

Post by Rentsu »

Hi,

This is my first post in wesnoth forums, but i've been an ocasional player of the game for a few months.
When I reinstall it, yesterday, I downloaded a few campaigns that seemed interesting, with a good story.
I started playing Love to Death, and now, I already finish it.

And I have to say: marvellous job. I enjoyed very much all the missions, and the story, especially. It drive me to play hour after hour until I finish it. I love the more mature approach to the story, and the subjects it raises.
You deserve huge congratulations, Geos, and PP2 too, for the final contribution.

I'll wait willingly for the next arc of the story.
Keep doing such a great job :D
Geos

Post by Geos »

So, I finished playing, and I notices some issues that I would like to comment

- Scenario 1. The big bad guy doesn't act at all
- Odigo can die
- After the conversation with Kaliostali and Ektalion, at least the attacked one should say something
- There was a contradiction between coding and objectives in that scenario, but that was on purpose
- In Prodo's Keep Aleva senses and control's... nothing! The dialog shows up in the first sublevel.. The purpose is to have that dialog as soon as she sees the first skeleton, but when she is close to it
- In Prodo's keep the spider doesn't attack
- I alway imagined Karenin in the Eastmark hills
- In "The Path", death of Aleva is repeated twice. Death of Prodos or Karos is not included
- In "The Path" there is a whole column of cells turnin into "Ford"
- In "Druids" Skeletons raise pretty much anywhere, and they should do it around the altar

And then I reached scenario 13th and well... that was not exactly what I had in mind, that is for sure. I'm going to PM Pp2 to comment the proceeding of the adventure. Although, I would also like to set clear that Pp2 is not attach to any obligation whatsoever to keep on contributing.

I think the first thing I will do will be to start with some art work for the third arc of the story...
Pp2

Post by Pp2 »

- Scenario 1. The big bad guy doesn't act at all
--In fact, he is very very lazy, he rarely attack and tweaking the [ai] tag does nothing

- In Prodo's Keep Aleva senses and control's... nothing! The dialog shows up in the first sublevel.. The purpose is to have that dialog as soon as she sees the first skeleton, but when she is close to it
--I did not modified the sighted event to be a signted/moveto event so it has all the bug of signted. However, what you report here is strange, the sighted event work for as long as I respect the limitation know to it(it will never trigger if the enemy get in your sight)

- In Prodo's keep the spider doesn't attack
--Not happened to me but I will have to replay the campaign, as anyway I lost all my saved game, so I will investigate it as soon as I get in this scenario.

- In "The Path" there is a whole column of cells turnin into "Ford"
--A know issue that I doesn't figure out the why. I did not modified the coding of the event but it does what it does. The rest of the "redrawing" seem to work as far as I know

I will also investigate the other bugs and correct them as soon as possible.
- In "Druids" Skeletons raise pretty much anywhere, and they should do it around the altar
--I did not found it strange( however I never trigerred it in the "original version", neither on bfw 1.4.x or 1.5.x as I only found about it existence when I readed the campaign's code), the scater macro work, it scater unit in a limited zone but as of what you say, they are actually a lot of time "more scatered" as they are supposed to be. Only a single modification of the argument sent to the macro shall make it working.

- I alway imagined Karenin in the Eastmark hills
--Hmm, I drew it a little bit south of the great river for some geography but after a lot of reading, I am not sure at all of my karenin location, eastmark hill is also a good location, but there is still some problem according to mainline campaign. I will send you a PM about it.
TheHouseJackBuilt

Post by TheHouseJackBuilt »

Hey i m at the first scenario of this campaign. When Aleva sees her father he asks her to "recruit the troops" but there is no castle u can recruit from except the one he is standing. Is there a way to move him, some other place i can recruit or should i do the scenario just with Aleva and her servant?(last option seems doable but the "recruit the troops" line kinda confuses me as to how this scenario is supposed to be played)

Playing on wesnoth 1.8 campaign version 0.7.2
Pp2

Post by Pp2 »

TheHouseJackBuilt wrote:Hey i m at the first scenario of this campaign. When Aleva sees her father he asks her to "recruit the troops" but there is no castle u can recruit from except the one he is standing. Is there a way to move him, some other place i can recruit or should i do the scenario just with Aleva and her servant?(last option seems doable but the "recruit the troops" line kinda confuses me as to how this scenario is supposed to be played)

Playing on wesnoth 1.8 campaign version 0.7.2
It is a know issues that appeared since bfw 1.8rc1, I am not even sure if it is a campaign bug or a wesnoth bug but normally, Kaliostali shall not be on the castle however the scenario is fully playable without any recruit(in fact it is how it is intended on hard difficulty)
TheHouseJackBuilt

Post by TheHouseJackBuilt »

It is a know issues that appeared since bfw 1.8rc1, I am not even sure if it is a campaign bug or a wesnoth bug but normally, Kaliostali shall not be on the castle however the scenario is fully playable without any recruit(in fact it is how it is intended on hard difficulty)
Okay i ll do it that way then. Thanx for the fast reply
UK1

Post by UK1 »

For the record, the third scenario provides, in the very beginning, the alternate objective (with a bonus) of surviving 24 turns as opposed to escaping. Then when you choose that course, you lose. I think that just shows a little neglect and it was a little wearisome to go back, start all over, and reverse. Also I thought the third scenario was a bit unnecessarily difficult and had a few too many surprises. Eg. wolves appearing behind you when fighting the orcs, orcs getting surprise reinforcements et cetera. A few strategic twists are never a bad thing. But there is a fine line between a twisting campaign and an M. Night Shyamalan movie. After the snow, the wolves showing up behind me while confronting the orcs, and the orcs getting surprise reinforcements, I was just kinda done with the twists... But that's just me. Further: I like your in-depth plot and character/text a lot... BUT... the fact that it is rife with spelling and grammar errors makes it seem really really empty. That is the only way I can possibly describe it. It just makes it so that I can't possibly take it seriously. For lack of a better example it's like trying to have sex with "Community", "Simpsons", or "Family Guy" playing. Just can't get in the mood. I realize this is a cliche, but it really doesn't take long to spell-check it. You obviously devoted a lot of time in this, it just seems silly that you'd have issues here. By the way things were written it almost seems like there would be a language barrier and you're just translating. If that's the case I would be glad to hammer out your grammar and spelling if you'd like. Since you obviously devoted a lot of time to the well-thought out plot I would imagine it's something you would care about fixing which is the only reason i bothered to bring it up.

Also in the first scenario it's impossible to recruit... I was a bit confused as the scenario was easily beaten without recruiting (although you didn't have time to kill the enemies, just had to go straight to leader due to lack of time) but the duke distinctly said to recruit soldiers... So I'm really not sure what you intended for that scenario. Was the duke supposed to move? Or perhaps recruit? Was there a thing where if I moved onto villages people would come out? I just couldn't figure it out so I beelined to the Necrophage and killed it. Once again if you need help with grammar/spellcheck I can do it, and I can also hammer out kinks in translations (assuming you're using an online translator, I can take the translated version and touch it up.) I just don't want to point out a problem without offering or helping to offer a solution.

edit: Just realized that the first scenario was addressed. Sorry I looked into the first post for edited updates.
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.