A Tale Of Kaiel (development stage:ideas and coding)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kuolon Tanssi

A Tale Of Kaiel (development stage:ideas and coding)

Post by Kuolon Tanssi »

omg it basically rhymes ^^. Anywhos, that probably won't be the finnish title, as it does rather suck, and im not spending an hour thinking of one for now.

Ok down to buisness, this soon(and hopefully) to be epic is a campaign based entirely on choices. Obviously there is the standard Wesnoth battle system, the only difference is that how fight your battles will determine which scenario you move onto. The idea is to create about 6 unique endings to the campaign which determines how evil/good you played.

E.g. You finnish a senario where the objective was take a castle, and you have been ordered by your superior to execute all P.O.W's. Your superior is not present at the battle, and you are therefore given a choice
1. Follow orders (all's fair in love and war) - leads to scenario 1.1
2. Ignore orders and follow your concience, letting the prisoners free, and lie to your lord. - leads to scenario 1.2

That is a very simple example, but i hope you get the idea.

ok onto the whole history of what is going on.

History

The campaign isn't set in Wesnoth, but in some other land *-insert name-*. The land is ruled by douzens of elvish warlords, all seeking success for their land and armys. Over time, pacts and alliences have been made by the regions as harvest were poor, and war would only weaken them still. Earylder is the warlord of one of the regions based in the centre of the land. He beholds great influence throughout the land, as his lands are riched with resources, therefore making him a very wealthy man through trade. Over time Earylder's health betrayed him, and he died at the great age of 857. In his place came Gamiandir, the eldest son, and it was clear that he did not seek the same path as his father. Immediately he began ruling with an iron fist, and it became clear that he may be a threat to the other warlords.

You play as the character Kaiel, and younge captian in the army of Gamiandir. With your father by your side, you prepare to march to war.

What's done so far?

So far its mostly just ideas, and me brainstorming ideas for scenarios. But after this is posted i will be coding as much as possible. I have campgen but it doesnt work XD lol so i am doing it all by WML which will take longer but what you going to do

Any suggestions are welcome and hopefully this time next week, i should have at least 5 scenarios done (one starting one, 2 good scenarios, and 2 bad)

Sceanrios SPOILERS!

Scenario 1
You are sent to war with you father and other experienced commanders to battle with your neigbouring faction. This is your first battle as a commander, and your orders are to thwart all soldiers and to secure the city for Gamiandir's arrival. Him and his carriage have set off and will be here in 4 days

-this is a very simple scenario. You clearly outnumber the enemy with 5 factions against 3.
-You must win the battle and get Kaiel onto the enemies main keep within 3 days, which i believe is about 18 turns, this might be a bit hard, but you do out number the enemy and the map is rather small.
-Defeat is if Kaiel or his father dies and/or Kaiel does not reach the keep in time.

After the battle, Gamiandir arrives and immediately scows at his officers for taking too long to capture the city. He then leaves heading to the castle with his guards. Later that night, you are awoken by screams coming from the towers. You make your way up to the rooms, where you witness a women of beaty (possbily a druid) being tortured on a rack. You immediately run down the stairs and throw up at the foot of the case. You then realise that she is not the only one. All around you screams of males, females, children. You suddenly realise that the battle you just fought was perhaps not as noble and sucessful as you onced thought.

DECISION TIME:
1.(good decision) you see Gamiandir for the melicious tyrant he is, and decide to leave his ranks, before the unspeakable might happen to you

2.(bad decision) you believe Gamiandir to be a man who is acting desperately in desperate times, and feel that there is a good reason for all of this.

Scenario 2.1
If you have any good in you, you would have chosen this decision. Just a quick idea for this:

You rush out and immediately seek council with the other officials. Some agree with your idea of defction, but others (including your father) feel that you are over reacting. You flee with some commanders

-this fight is a retreat mission. You must get away from the unlimited number of Gamiandirs army
I havnt really thought about this mission much but i guess i will when i code it.

Scenario 2.2
So you are evil then eh? lol, basically the same as the good mission, only you are the ones doing the pursuing. Should be another easy mission as you will outnumber the enemy.

Again i need more time to work on this.

And there it is. If you are still with me, then hope you like the idea and again any comments/suggestions are welcome

cheers
"time for one more dream?"
Dveman115

Post by Dveman115 »

wow...sounds great. And by the way you were talking, it sounds like you can actually code. Nice job. If you need help with something, just ask and I may be able to help with it.
Kuolon Tanssi

Post by Kuolon Tanssi »

Thanks, i can code to a degree, though i am having trouble with this one, as i want there to be a choice in what the next scenario is, but the WML used for campagins only allows one. Im sure there are more advanced codes into doing this, and it will just require more testing and reading.

However this is the least important thing to do at the moment. I have just realised how much work i have on my plate, with college/ coursework, social life, and generally other things ive agreed to help with on Wesnoth(mainly arty stuff some player made factions). So this has been pushed to the bottom of the list. Of course i will keep it going, ill probably update it once every two or three weeks, and all comments are still welcome.

Im also considering putting in a joke line a.k.a 1st being good, 2nd being evil, and third being joke. So if anyone wishes to contribute any wackey situations which may lead to any of the three please dont hesitate to post.

Cheers
"time for one more dream?"