Campaign with Delfador as hero

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pete

Great campaign!

Post by pete »

I just finished (what's there, at least) Delfador's Memoires with 1.0.2, and just wanted to say that I enjoyed this campaign a lot. The idea itself is good to play Delfador's earlier days, and the scenarios, maps, dialogue and story are well done. Thumbs up! I also like that you get to recruit different races in the story, and hope to continue this campaign sometime with my current saves.

Is the current maintainer working on it? I don't have much time (really!), but the least I could do to help is playtest new scenarios, just write a PM to me in this forum.

Thanks again!
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I just looked at the new Delf, basically there are no new scenarios
just the campaign works with the new esnoth. Bummer!
My suggestion is not finishing it The remaining story runs:

Delf and Chantal move south and come upon a Wesnoth fort under attack by the orcs
Afterthey make the save, Chantal returns north, while Delf gets some mages and shock troopers to accompanyhim to return.
On the way(see the Legen of Wesmere campaign) they meet Kalenz and the elves
who have arrived to atatck the orcs, but are ambushed by undead. (battle in Legend of Wesmere). Immediately after they manage to save the King surrounded by orcs(also
in Legend of wesmere). Afterwards, the elves give Delf Crelanu's book, which is
what he needs to close the portal
The King and Delf return to Wesnoth Delf studies the book, while reports of undead attacks arrive.
The Wenoth army sent against them is massacred and Delf convinces the King to
let him deal with them. Delf first closes the portal with the help of the book
then meets and defeats Iliah-Malal(there was an old Rise of Mages challenge map
in previous release-you can use that)
Iliah Malal had meantime opened other portal, DElf closes them one by one
except maybe a secret one
(which explains the origin of unded in HttT)
Asheviere gets hold of Cre;anu's book and turn evil, before Delf gets it back and hides it away.
Also in LoW Delf makes a cameo appearance daving Eldred who has atatcked on his own initiative(and his mother's) the elves and is about to have his head chopped of by Kalenz and co.

Should be enough more material for a longer Delf story. I could do it, but I will not be able to do muc for the next six months.....
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Some bugs in DM:
I played this on hard and maybe got lucky in Leolyn. Anyway,In Intro to Land of the dead
I went to the castle and also took the staff. then upon returning to the signpost I stopped at the ambush village, fought the sceletons and the last remaining one retreated to the signpost, which triggered a win, though its Delf who should get there, not a skeleton
2) In Wasteland, first note that Delf's staff consistently does no damage even though it has 70% hit probability.
3) Also there, I went by the elvish ranger and there was no dialog there. Then, when a wolf rider crosses the river, the elvish ranger goes and has the dialog he was meant to have with Delf, then shoots him down.
There were a few more bugs, I need to see the replays.

I now have made a map for Southern pass and should post this scenario later on.
Attachments
Wastelandhard_replayhard.gz
(17.04 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
Into_the_Land_of_the_Deadhard_replayhard.gz
(6.21 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
rocket23

Thanks

Post by rocket23 »

I'm presuming someone on this thread is the person who made the Delfador's Memoirs campaign. I found it hard to play (I added gold to get through it),. but really enjoyed it. it's one of the better add-on scenarios, and the strategic possibilities of the landscape was excellent. All told an excellent mini-campaign and I'd love to see some more. Thank you.
tapik
Code Contributor

Re: Thanks

Post by tapik »

rocket23 wrote:I'm presuming someone on this thread is the person who made the Delfador's Memoirs campaign. I found it hard to play (I added gold to get through it),. but really enjoyed it. it's one of the better add-on scenarios, and the strategic possibilities of the landscape was excellent. All told an excellent mini-campaign and I'd love to see some more. Thank you.
Why to add more gold? It is simply playable. It is not so hard, when you are quick. You have to choose the best strategy many times and to be quick is the most often one, especially in scenarios with Leollyn and Woses.

Please, download the last version and check if you like the pre-story, which should be done due to httt changes - Delfador's mage school was in Isle of Anduin :-(
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
pauxlo

Bug report ...

Post by pauxlo »

In the third, fourth and fifth scenario (+1, if you count the council), the scenario objectives say, Leollyn should not die. But there is not Leollyn, only Lionel.

(Maybe this is only a translation error for the german version.)
Last edited by pauxlo on March 12th, 2007, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
pauxlo

bug: description does not match unit

Post by pauxlo »

The higher levels of Delfador (mage leader and mage commander) do not have the leadership ability, whereas the unit description says this.
Imp

Post by Imp »

Playing it on 1.2.2 on Medium. How are we supposed to beat Into the Land of the Dead? I managed to kill the enemy leader, but nothing happened, and the signpost is surrounded by dozens of skeletons. No way can a Mage Commander get through there. All of the ghosts and helpers suicide themselves on fruitless attacks on the skeletons too, so by the time I get to the fork leading to the secret passage or the signpost all of them are dead.

And what are these "couple of ways" to defeat the enemy leader? It all seemed like a hit+miss affair, since even the Mage Commander had a slim chance of killing him (the lower levels have no chance of killing in one attack), while being surrounded by skeletons on grass (or on mountain if we let the enemy leader melee us first - which is even worse since he has a large ctk still). I also didn't get any artifacts.

The other way is also pretty ridiculous, as there's a continuous stream of skeletons. Attack one, fry it, another one comes in and chops.

So what is your idea for how people are meant to beat this mission? Maybe I'll just go straight for the signpost and ignore the exploring.
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

Sorry for my late response, I was too ill to do this earlier.
Imp wrote:So what is your idea for how people are meant to beat this mission? Maybe I'll just go straight for the signpost and ignore the exploring.
At first I'm not the author of the scenario and I've never change it.

There are two possible ways how to win:
- explore the WHOLE scenario (it brings you a great award for it)
- go to the signpost

Try to find why the killing of the enemy leader is not so important. What about the idea the enemy leader is guarding something?

And what about the fruitless ghosts? Did you mention the ghosts follow the Delfador till their recognize an enemy? So another little help: be quick with exploring, do not let enemy to capture villages and let the ghosts to attack enemies when (and WHERE, Delfador is too slow on hills, but what about the path between hills?) you want to.

And the last (but not least): I'd like to see a player who did the scenario with killing the enemy leader at he (or she) played the scenario for the first time. I think it is impossible.
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

I did it a long time ago. Leader was stupid and left his keep, I grabbed the artifact.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I killed the enemy leader first time I played the scenario AND understood
what the dry river was. First time I played the scenario I ran out of time
without figuring out what the hell the dry river was.