Undead Campaign: Despair and Decay

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

SunTzu wrote:Even if its unrealistic, i prefer it as its now.
me too ;)

@Grey_Wolf_c: the crash is strange, must be a problem with one of the units. it doesn't crash for me. that it crashes without a note is something i know from 1.1.2a there were some pics wrong. after downloading a crashfix everything was fine. but it should already included in 1.1.3 ... but maybe we use a strange pic now... i'll check this.
as Truper told you already only Walking Corpses and Soulless can create Walking Corpses if they are on a village. or if they kill another unit. the leader can bring back some "bones" but only in some scenarios, like Sunk or Swim. i agree that it isn't easy without the help of free Walking Corpses.
the "temple structure" have no sense (not yet?)
if i understood right then you've installed the new version over an old one right? that's the problem, really. uninstall wesnoth and make a clean install of 1.1.2a or 1.1.3 (i don't want/won't since i use windoze)

about a log. the win version got something like a ster.txt can't remember the name but it should be in the wesnoth folder.
anyway i think you can start the game in debug mode. but dunno how ;)
wesnoth(.exe) --debug maybe?
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

Tried the clean install idea, but didn't work. Since "install" in Mac just means drag and drop of the new program over the old, deleting the old in advance didn't change anything, really. If it is an image that cannot be found, it has to be called almost immediately after the peasent reaches the docks and says something on the lines of "we must flee - they cannot be stopped".

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf
jg

Post by jg »

To make things even clearer:
Truper wrote:About the Walking Corpses: you need to put a Walking Corpse on a village
and leave it there for one turn,
Truper wrote: to generate more Corpses, not your leader or another troop.
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

hi

i've made an updated version, which (hopefully) fixed the crash problem.
some of the changes:
- ache got now an ranged attack (weak - magic - cold)
- some code changes for several units
- new event in A+A (for Grey_Wolf_c)
- use now the "flusharray" and the "clear_variable_key" macros, to get clean save files.
- gold in 'Isle' is set to 300, while the "add 300" is removed from HH.
like this the message is right, but there is no punishment for not killing a leader in HH. on the way to the cyber i got the idea to use the variable to reduce the 300 gold to 100 if none leader was killed. but this will need a message in the very beginnig of HH to warn the player about this punishment! (just adding "-200" to the leaders_slain variable in the timeover event should do the trick)
- some other little things which i can't remember ;)

@Grey_Wolf_c: i hope the new version fix the crash problem! if not there is an alternate version of the first scenario where the whole event is removed, to make sure that you can play the next scenarios ;)
however if it still crashes, please tell me, what is the last thing you see before the crash! you should see a runinig peasant, a girl, a kid... (several times) if you can see all of these units and it crashes after it, then the problem must be the galleon unit, which can mean that you have 2 .cfg files with the same id, a mixed installation err dragging ...

@Ken Oh: i haven't comment this earlier as i was more in a rush then usual. the way you wrote that you were born in the usa make me believe that your parents maybe not. but i think that's now a bit too private... i had several questions about it but just decided to don't ask them here :)

@jg: thanx for making it even clearer. for me the message in A+A was clear enough, but it seems that we should change it a bit more!
Attachments
1_Awake_and_Arise_alternate.zip
- for Grey_Wolf_c
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
DaDv0.2.1e.zip
- see changes above
(123.61 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

Going to try the new version now - particularly since you've seen fit to do a specific release for my petitions! :oops:

By the way, stupid me realised I did not, in fact, have the latest version installed - I had 1.1.3, not 1.1.4. Sorry about that. I downloaded the latest version and tried again, and this time it didn't crash, but it did take the civilians forever and a day to get into the boat (since they do not, actually, have the ability to walk on deep water). Maybe the new version will improve on that - I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for everything!

Yours,

Grey Wolf
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

Hahahahaha!

Great event, flava. Loved it. You removed the escape to the boat from "my" version, so I cannot say if it still takes too long, or even if it crashes, so cannot report on that.

I have noticed that the well event only happens once (yes, I did purposedly try to throw my troops down a well after they had fallen in - I loved the sound and tried to get it again. Besides, at that point I had more walking corpses than I knew what to do with). I think it would be more appropiate that it was a permanent event - for humour's sake, if nothing else. But I commend you for it. It is that kind of touches that, in my eyes, raises a scenario from just another battle to the elite ones.

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

it seems that there is a little missunderstanding... and something you wrote is puzzleing me... the alternate version is only made if 0.2.1e still got the crash problem. i've changed the involved units to make sure that it won't crash. and i've ask when it crashes. but it seems you have now a new even more strange problem with this event. what i don't understand is, that they want to move through deep water..huh? not in my version!

about the new event... with which unit type did you try it?

about the well, i really like to put the WCs in the well, but i don't want that some lose more then one by an accident. this event is originally made for muck and mire (scenario 3) but some changes made it necessary to put it in A+A otherwise none would see it. however the place where it is now, is a bit bad as there is some fighting action. and if some put a WC there to protect a close to level up skel then he well be damn angry ...

about more WCs than necessary, we thought already about this, maybe we limit it a bit in a later release. but that's what we call balancing, i guess we will have some work with it... later ;)

oh don't worry about the wesnoth version, i still use 1.1.2a... but i've downloaded 1.1.4a already, in a brave moment i'll install it...
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, in my first post I have a feedback question asking if anyone has any ideas for a KISS way to limit the WC replication. The question is still open. :)

Here's something I want you guys to test out if you have the time. It the campaign version that Flava just posted retooled so that the player side is the highest side in the scenario. To do that I had to switch the side=# for every side, then move the [side] tag for the player side down below all the others, change all the other necessary side tags (including macros), altered some utils to have a SIDE variable and made the obvious map alterations.

I tried to do this long before I started this thread. For some reason this wasn't working for me before, but it works now. It may be because I'm using 1.1.4, or maybe it works for some other reason.

The reasoning: Remember how I don't like "surprises in scenarios that make you want to restart your game over?" Well, considering you aren't given a recruit list for each enemy side, you don't really know what you should recruit. The player could possibly waste half his/her gold on the first turn recruiting the exact wrong units, and that would be a very unpleasant surprise. This part of Wesnoth is the one thing that I dislike most, but I think it's easily fixable. This is also going to take a small amount of rebalancing because the enemy now gets the first move (not that the scenario was really balanced before).

Also, I took out any enemy=# tags that I could find, because after talking in ICQ and testing things myself, I've found that they don't do anything (apparently they used to do something but not anymore).

I think in 1.1.4 the simple music=name.ogg doesn't work anymore. I think you have to use [music] tags, like I see in other campaigns. I put those in but didn't test it for anything but A+A.
Attachments
DaD v2.3.test.zip
player side set to highest, please test to see if it works
(123.84 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

hi

damn the fix i've made for A+A is now useless. i have to "merge" it in your version first. however we have to change the WC and soulless unit files too for 1.1.4! maybe i'll do this today, if i have time. btw 1.1.4 is really shhh i think about to downgrade to 1.1.2a because they put 2 gamefun removing features in. 1) the bug-looking-useless-unit-flash and 2) the game freeze now for 30 seconds every 3 turns (must be the new autosave system)

okay i'll post the fix anyway, for those who haven't already 0.2.3.test
the slow moving problem which came with 1.1.4 (or 1.1.3) should be fixed now.

edit: attachment removed
Last edited by flava_clown on June 10th, 2006, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

What do we have to change on WC and Soulless? They worked fine for me on 1.1.4.
Inch

Post by Inch »

I like this campaign, can't wait 'till it's finished :)

Played the second to latest version and it has a couple of bugs. The guys guarding the dam on the muck and mire level start on the players side. And on To Damn an Isle when you kill Ligh he is resurrected onto the wrong side, you have to kill him again :P and when I finished that level it gave an error about something being wrong with side(2).

And less importantly your colour keeps changing on different levels, is it posible to be the last player and have the same colour or are the colours fixed?

And even less important, when you turn horses into WC they cannot replicate in villages or is that intentional?

(I don't like that new bug-looking-useless-unit-flash thingy either)
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

hi

about the bugs, i had yesterday a short look in the code only (no time to play) and found already some bugs. i think that i found/fixed the bugs which Inch reported too. i guess there is no work around for the color think. but it would be nice to have always the same color!
normaly a wc should generate a new wc, it shouldn't matter which variation! and it worked for me the last time i was in such a situation. but haven't test it with 1.1.4 and now i have to upgrade to 1.1.5 but i'm afraid that the anoying features are still there and still anoying. i hope that if they decide to leave them in, that they give us a way to dissable it, without the need to dissable the whole fighting animation.

@Ken Oh: i've told you once that the win version generate a file called 'stderr.txt', this gives some infos about what's wrong and the like... take a look:

Code: Select all

error config: [attack] uses special=plague, which is now deprecated. Use the macros provided in abilities.cfg.
error config: an animation uses the deprecated [sound] tag, please include sound in the [frame] tag
i've fixed the most of these problems, but not all. i hope that i'll have a bit time on the weekend for it...
btw i've fixed your "naming" bug too :twisted:
Attachments
DaDv0.3.test_quickfix.zip
- several fixes
- dam should work now the way it was
- macros changed to fit the new "side system"
- unit changes for 1.1.4
- if you don't beat at least one leader in HH then you'll start with 200 gold less in 'Isle'
(124.02 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Inch

Post by Inch »

Ken Oh: Do you plan to have art or maps along the story line? If my limited art skills are up to scratch can I help out with that? I can use gimp and have been playing with inkscape lately too. Here's a link to some of my stuff.

http://forum.concord-designs.net/index.php?topic=8.0
flava_clown

Post by flava_clown »

imho... maps wouldn't really fit, as the story - if i understood right - is always a dream sequence. i don't know if i like the plain black screen more or if i would like some images which show some of these dreams. but i would like to see some images, just to know if i would like them there ;)

can you make one for the "You see the most beautiful creature. It's a girl. She's scared." part?
It isn't hard to do
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yes! I was always hoping for some offers for art. I never really wanted to ask before things got closer to being done.

First of all, some slight alterations to the unit graphics for Soulless and Lich would be good. The transformation that ???? goes through is basically a rotting corpse (at level 1) that firms up and becomes this skeletal Lich-like figure, except without any of the robes and staffs and stuff. The main character isn't really sure what's going on and just evolves into something.

Flava is right in that we don't need a map. It would just be the HttT map, but since I would hope that everyone is familiar with it, it's not needed. I was only really thinking having some small blue or purple spirit graphic that gets bigger every scenario. The feeling that I want is that everything is dark and cold and that the main character isn't very aware of anything around him.

Basically, that's all the artwork I'm looking for and even that isn't essential.

Inch, you reminded me of something I meant to look into. When I changed the side system, I first tried to make the player side something higher (like 7 or 8) so I could get a constant color, but the game doesn't let you skip over sides. I'm pretty sure there is a way to change side colors through WML, so I'll have to find that again.

I found the error with M+M with those dam guards, but I really haven't had the time to test anything else out. Thanks for looking at it. I'm glad that the side system change actually worked.

OK, and here's the deal. I'm leaving for China sometime this summer. This means I'm going to bust my ass to try to get it done ASAP, because I don't know when I'm leaving. I had a job interview the other night over the phone and this guy wanted me to leave in a week to go to China. I wasn't quite ready for that, but I do think I'm going to be going soon. The good news is that my current job has ended and so I should be able to spend enough time on this project before I leave.

Thanks everyone!

p.s. flava, you still thinking about making that scenario? do you have the time to work on it?