[Archived] Scenario 2: The Raid

Feedback for the mainline campaign Winds of Fate.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

[Archived] Scenario 2: The Raid

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) What did you think about the dialog and story?
(4) What were the major challenges you faced?
(5) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(6) What suggestions do you have to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
windsong02

Re: Scenario 2: The Raid

Post by windsong02 »

(1) Dominant (Difficult), Wesnoth 1.14.8 -- playing as a downloaded add-on--not sure if things changed when the campaign was brought into the mainline.
(2) 10 -- tried replaying it a half-dozen times, couldn't ever figure out anything that worked. Starting the scenario with base gold (it doesn't seem like there's any way you can start with more?), L2 Vank, L2 Galun, 1xFlare, 2xhalf leveled gliders, 1xburner.
(3) Dialog was clear.
(4) I tried a couple different approaches, and as noted, couldn't figure it out. You've got terrain disadvantage everywhere, and there aren't any good areas to hold a line. The island's small and orcs have enough gold to come at you from both the north and south, so there isn't any space to fall back if you feint forward during the day. You also can't really stall out a full day/night cycle after the first day, since there's nowhere to hold a line. Villages only giving +1 to your income also hurt a lot.
(5) 8. It was definitely interesting, but I couldn't figure it out--I haven't really ever played drakes, so maybe I'm just missing something here. Would love to see any replays.
(6) Again, would love to see any replays other people might have.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

@windsong02

Thanks for the feedback. I gave it a shot on Dominant (Difficult) WoV v1.0.5 on BfW 1.14.9

I started with Galun & Vank at L2, with 0 extra xp for those 2, & no xp for anyone else. (for a bare minimum test case)
Almost had it on the last turn. See the replay. I made a few mistakes. If I had leveled a burner or two instead of them dying, or started the scenario with a flare or fire drake, or Galun having a little bit more xp, and/or recalling the quick burners I had from the first scenario, I would have made it.
Attachments
WoV-The Raid replay Turn 22 Almost.gz
(25.76 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
StonemasonHans

Post by StonemasonHans »

(1) Aspirant (Challenging), Wesnoth 1.14.11.
(2) 7 - Initially it seemed to be very frustrating battle, but with some decent tactics and improvisation skills it isn't that hard. Capturing and holding as many villages as possible is essential. I started with both heroes at lvl 2, the two gliders almost leveled up, and the burners with about half experience. I sent Vank and one glider west to capture villages and distract a few orcs. The rest of the army went north, to secure the castle for Galun to keep recruiting units while being at the battlefront and stealing kills. I recruited only fighters and burners, for their damage and hitpoints. Fighters easily kill archers and assassins during the day, and burners are good for grunts and wolves, and also provide nice retaliation when defending to archers. I found it necessary to be aggressive during the first day, otherwise the orcs would significantly outnumber me. It's also helpful to use the level up heal and attack poisoners with units about to level up. That way, you don't need to retreat them to villages and keep them in the line. Getting a flare for leadership is also useful. The volcanos provide illumination during the night, which can help. Overall I just was aggressive during the day and defended the area around the northeastern castle during the night, putting expendable units to the front line. Soon I outnumbered the orcs and was able to launch an attack on their leader, killing him on turn 17. I eventually suffered only three losses while killings 26 enemies.
(3) It wasn't bad.
(4) Getting Galun to level up. You need to kill as many enemies as you can during the day, but also need to save a lot of them for Galun to kill. This forces you to put him in situations where he can be vulnerable. You also need him to attack almost dead enemies for xp, instead of dealing massive damage to full health grunts or wolfs and finishing them with other units. I had to kill the orc leader with him, otherwise I would have failed to level him up.
(5) 7. It give you good idea how to play drakes. As I have said, the necessity of leveling up Galun is a nice challenge, but it can be quite annoying or too hard. It's also nice that it's the map from TRoW.
(6) Maybe not needing to level up Galun, but I guess it is necessary storywise.