[Complete] International Wesnoth Tournament 2016

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ammazzalepri

Re: International Wesnoth Tournament 2016

Post by Ammazzalepri »

Deddy is the ufficial substitute of Yuzir for the last round!
Ammazzalepri

Post by Ammazzalepri »

.... and here to you The final battle Ammazzalepri against Horus!
Ruined passage: a loyal Ammazzalepri vs a rebel Horus. The first horse I scouted was the sign of something unavoidable: The crazy gang of elvish scouts: YOU ARE HORSUS'D! The horse strategy worked well on such a map and horus gained advantage. But the faithfull Ammazzalepri rejected the rebels after one night and one day. At second watch elves were back looking for blood and houses and that was the signal Ammazzalepri was waiting for. Like a king of a fantasy book He played the horn and came out from the wall to face the enemy on a final pitched battle.

Thanks to Horus for the game and specially for organizing the tournament. Thanks to the other captains for the collaboration and to every player who has took part in the party.
I'm sure the future second edition (It surely will take place! Isn't it dear Horus?) will be optimized in every aspect we have experienced during this first "great experiment". In anycases I can say this experiment worked! I hope it has worked for you all too.

I would invite you eating pizza all togeter but i know you prefer or you think to prefer your own country pizza-imitation so I just promise that italy will expose its critics and opinion about the Tournament too -.-
Attachments
2p_—_Ruined_Passage_replay-IWT-finalgame-Horus.gz
(23.79 KiB) Downloaded 757 times
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Idk if I missed something, but where is the Solymos-HUN vs Regno-Bello match...? Anyone knows anything about it...?
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
draghen

Post by draghen »

Horsus or at least one of the players should have the replay, that was played 10 days ago. 100% draghen fighters spam on Ruined passage by Solymos, that was funny.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Krogen wrote:Idk if I missed something, but where is the Solymos-HUN vs Regno-Bello match...? Anyone knows anything about it...?
You did not miss anything, it has never been uploaded. I took it manually from the replay archive.
IWT2016_Regno-Bello_vs_Solymos-HUN_RP.gz
(19.48 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
Furthermore i would value highly an uncorrupted version of the vandal vs jurijuice and the Jarom vs gs_fx matches. If the losing side of these matches saved a separate replay just for themselves, please check if it is intact and share it with us! Not a tragedy if these are missing, but these would make the documentation of the event complete.

I updated the scoreboards to reflect that only 2 matches are left.
scharonHun

Post by scharonHun »

Thank the game for Deddy, and sorry for my big luck ;)
Attachments
scharon vs Deddy_WIT2016_visszajatszas.gz
WIT match (scharon won)
(22.14 KiB) Downloaded 761 times
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Post by Jarom »

I was travelling when I played with gs_fx, so I lost connection a few times and had to play on phone second half a game, so I haven't got one full replay, if any. I can try to find some parts, but it'll be hard.
gs_fx

Post by gs_fx »

the replay in the last autosave is ok till turn 28 (it is actually the last reload)
i tried to load the game on turn 36, end the turn and save the replay again, looks ok
Attachments
2p_—_Swamp_Of_Dread_replay.gz
(43.39 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

The time arrived to announce round 7... Hey Horus, you gone mad? It was supposed to hold for 6 rounds! Worry not, this round is entirely optional, but strongly recommended to join the fun, for it is...

The EPIC replay contest!

As mentioned earlier, we are having a special way to commemorate the greatest moments of the tournament. Every participant can vote up to three replays which he/she considers EPIC, and those with the most votes are measured by a professional jury to decide the winner by their own subobjective standards. The jury members are Horus2, draghen, ForPeace, diomed, and our special guest is none else than the infamous Outsider, the champion of Philippines, Computer_player!

The criteria system we use in determining the EPICest replay is simple yet effective. Jury members rate 4 aspects of the game from one to five star, then we sum the stars (so it can have an overall rating from 4 to 20). What they consider three star, above and below is entirely up to the judges, but it does not matter if one is more strict or generous with the stars until they are consistent with their standards for all watched replays. The aspects that are taken into account:

Excellence - How well the players played. It really adds to the flare if the EPICness is not the outcome of strategical mistakes (for example banking and building up a big army when a straightforward attack could have been successful, or misusing leveled units so the tide turns), but it had a stroke of genius, something that is above our comprehension, they realised the grandiosity of their actions, and they were not daunted to make the move.
Promotions - A game can be considered EPIC if the plot toys with powers above what we, mere mortals are used to. Heroes clash and titans are around every corner to smash faces in with a single swing. If the replay is loaded with levelups, and they work wonders, then it will receive a good amount of stars. Bonus point can be given for exotic choices in leveling path if those are proved to be just as effective in the context.
Intensity - The crowd cheers not for thirty turns of banking and staring each other, but constant action. When the players kept the pressure on and the whole game was very dynamic and a joy to watch, the game can be declared EPIC.
Comebacks - It just does not hit the spot when the first clash was decisive and the winner controlled the flow, but the losing side struggled for another seventeen turns before capitulation. A real EPIC cannot be a simple, one-sided scenario, it must contain turning tides, major misses and other nasty surprises; if the observers were arguing all along about who is the "definite" winner, then it is telltale sign.

It is important to make it clear that certain things are false flags and not a strict requisite for being EPIC:

Length - This is only an indirect factor, since long matches can contain more promotions and comebacks, which are surely memorable, but time also allows to make more mistakes and stale the game.
Oddity - If someone made curious moves that are spectacular, but clearly inferior from a strategic perspective, yet it won the match for him/her, then it does not make the replay EPIC in itself. Examples are going for a suicide leaderkill attempt when it is not necessary and succeeding, or spamming a single unit and confusing the opponent with it (which belongs to the domain of BURS).

You can nominate replays for one week (till 19th November midnight). After that, the jury members will respond in their own pace.
Since the whole contest is just an alibi to commemorate, it is also time to point out peak moments which are not related to EPIC gameplay, and to discuss how to make the tournament system better (some already did, i will try to reply soon).

To make nomination easier, i collected and uploaded all the replays for you in one pack. More goodies will arrive later.
IWT2016.zip
(2.94 MiB) Downloaded 694 times

PS: Yeah i did not announce yet the result of the tournament officially, because i want you to stay for the afterparty instead of letting you go back to your country. The sneaky [censored] i am. :mrgreen:
PS2: Wow, the auto-censor is touched off by the word "ba$tard". Now if you excuse me, i have to LM*O.
Last edited by Horus2 on November 12th, 2016, 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
ikomizo

Post by ikomizo »

Here is our replay (frafra with knalgans VS. ikomizo with drakes)
Attachments
IWT_2016-_vs_frafra.gz
(21.36 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
ReNoM

Post by ReNoM »

Horus2 wrote:The time arrived to announce round 7... Hey Horus, you gone mad? It was supposed to hold for 6 rounds! Worry not, this round is entirely optional, but strongly recommended to join the fun, for it is...

The EPIC replay contest!

As mentioned earlier, we are having a special way to commemorate the greatest moments of the tournament. Every participant can vote up to three replays which he/she considers EPIC, and those with the most votes are measured by a professional jury to decide the winner by their own subobjective standards. The jury members are Horus2, draghen, ForPeace, diomed, and our special guest is none else than the infamous Outsider, the champion of Philippines, Computer_player!

The criteria system we use in determining the EPICest replay is simple yet effective. Jury members rate 4 aspects of the game from one to five star, then we sum the stars (so it can have an overall rating from 4 to 20). What they consider three star, above and below is entirely up to the judges, but it does not matter if one is more strict or generous with the stars until they are consistent with their standards for all watched replays. The aspects that are taken into account:

Excellence - How well the players played. It really adds to the flare if the EPICness is not the outcome of strategical mistakes (for example banking and building up a big army when a straightforward attack could have been successful, or misusing leveled units so the tide turns), but it had a stroke of genius, something that is above our comprehension, they realised the grandiosity of their actions, and they were not daunted to make the move.
Promotions - A game can be considered EPIC if the plot toys with powers above what we, mere mortals are used to. Heroes clash and titans are around every corner to smash faces in with a single swing. If the replay is loaded with levelups, and they work wonders, then it will receive a good amount of stars. Bonus point can be given for exotic choices in leveling path if those are proved to be just as effective in the context.
Intensity - The crowd cheers not for thirty turns of banking and staring each other, but constant action. When the players kept the pressure on and the whole game was very dynamic and a joy to watch, the game can be declared EPIC.
Comebacks - It just does not hit the spot when the first clash was decisive and the winner controlled the flow, but the losing side struggled for another seventeen turns before capitulation. A real EPIC cannot be a simple, one-sided scenario, it must contain turning tides, major misses and other nasty surprises; if the observers were arguing all along about who is the "definite" winner, then it is telltale sign.

It is important to make it clear that certain things are false flags and not a strict requisite for being EPIC:

Length - This is only an indirect factor, since long matches can contain more promotions and comebacks, which are surely memorable, but time also allows to make more mistakes and stale the game.
Oddity - If someone made curious moves that are spectacular, but clearly inferior from a strategic perspective, yet it won the match for him/her, then it does not make the replay EPIC in itself. Examples are going for a suicide leaderkill attempt when it is not necessary and succeeding, or spamming a single unit and confusing the opponent with it (which belongs to the domain of BURS).

You can nominate replays for one week (till 19th November midnight). After that, the jury members will respond in their own pace.
Since the whole contest is just an alibi to commemorate, it is also time to point out peak moments which are not related to EPIC gameplay, and to discuss how to make the tournament system better (some already did, i will try to reply soon).

To make nomination easier, i collected and uploaded all the replays for you in one pack. More goodies will arrive later.
IWT2016.zip

PS: Yeah i did not announce yet the result of the tournament officially, because i want you to stay for the afterparty instead of letting you go back to your country. The sneaky [censored] i am. :mrgreen:
PS2: Wow, the auto-censor is touched off by the word "ba$tard". Now if you excuse me, i have to LM*O.
I vote for "Kral vs Caritas" game (round 3). It was really epic game. It proves several factors:
1. It was truly hard and long game for both opponents. The game fully satisfies all demands listed above in Horus post - Excellence (both players overcome himself and made maximum efforts for getting victory. Also I want to recall that these players are best players of Russian and Poland communities), Promotions (we have seen risky but effective tactics from Kral. Also we have seen great and non typical attempts to get over from Caritas), Intensity (we have seen heavy fightings on each section of the map during all the game. I should recall that the game lasted more than 30 turns) and Comebacks (There was few comebacks from Caritas. It proves total count of kills and deaths and whole story of the game).
2. It was decisive game of that round (total score before the game for Russia and Poland was "4:4"), also I sure that it was a breakthrough for Russia in the way to victory in the tourney. What also means that the game was partly determinative and decisive game of the tournament.
3. The game attracted most interest for observers. It proves quote from Horus:
Horus2 wrote:
Kral wrote:Kral def Caritas
Well, that was quite concise description for a match that had RECORD NUMBER OF OBSERVERS, to be precise, 26. :D
Also it proves the total number of messages in game chat where observers was arguing between themselves, and players of both competing teams expressed hope for victory until the end of the game.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

I would like to mention 2 matches: (Caritas vs Kral would've been the third, but ReNoM already did that above.)
NymmeL vs Gravellu (50 turns long game with comebacks.)
Horus vs draghen (The outcome was uncertain all along, there are lvl ups, epicness, twists, everything an observer wants.)
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Krogen wrote:I would like to mention 2 matches: (Caritas vs Kral would've been the third, but ReNoM already did that above.)
NymmeL vs Gravellu (50 turns long game with comebacks.)
Horus vs draghen (The outcome was uncertain all along, there are lvl ups, epicness, twists, everything an observer wants.)
Multiple votes can be put on the same entry to increase the chance to make it into the finalist to be judged by our experts.
Although if there is such a mutual agreement on the few replays which should be considered, then it is not that important.
draghen

Post by draghen »

1 NymmeL(w) vs Gravellu *
2 Kral vs draghen(w) *
3 Horus(w) vs draghen *

I also liked for some other aspects:

Kral(w) vs Caritas
Caritas(w) vs Yuzir
Ammazzalepri vs szdik570(w)
Regno Bello(w) vs ikomizo
py6aka vs ForPeace(w)
Jarom(w) vs Horus
Horus vs Ammazzalepri(w)
ElderofZion vs diomed(w)
...and the two bridge_troll matches, specially his momentary 3:1 vs Hungary.

For the next edition I would recomend to modify all the rules, but to keep Horus in charge. :D
You couldn't find a better organizer, a real gentleman, I would like to remember that he lost 4 of his games, but he also hunted down the draghen, what about that?
Caritas

Post by Caritas »

My vote goes to EoZ v diomed
Nearly perfect game played by diomed, pleasure to watch.