Call for localized images

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

caslav.ilic
Translator

Call for localized images

Post by caslav.ilic »

Some time ago Wesnoth's code was patched to enable use of localized images, for any image for which this is needed by target language. Now would be good time to start adding some localized images, since 1.8 release is getting nearer.

Here are the instructions on making and testing localized images:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ImageLocalization

The initial section of the article explains where to put localized images in file tree (e.g. for testing) and how to keep an eye on when they need to be updated (due to changes in original). This is followed by the list of images probably needing localization in many languages. The rest of the article are instructions, in Gimp, on how to localize some typical images.

Note that it is not "mandatory" in any way to localize images. If no action is taken by a language team (for whatever reason), everything stays as it is now for that language.

Localized images can be sent to me by email (caslav.ilic@gmx.net).

Here is a screenshot sporting localized images:
wesnoth-sr-localized-menu-03.jpg
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Udi

Re: Call for localized images

Post by Udi »

I believe one step is missing on the Image Localization wiki page in the section describing the logo localization. After coloring the text-final and adding the bump-map the text looks a bit dark and grey. I had to adjust the lightness-contrast to 90 - 70 to get the same effect as the original. I think it should be noted on the wiki page. My GIMP version is 2.4.7.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

Is this one right in the trunk?
data/core/images/help/tooltip.png
Sure looks German to me.

I'll work on finishing up Spanish (es).
caslav.ilic
Translator

Changes to maps

Post by caslav.ilic »

There is some work going on to clean up some of the maps, so some of the existing localized overlays have been fuzzied. At this point, it seems that the only substantial change is moved "Bitter Swamp" label on some of the maps, but other things may change too. So don't update your localized overlays until the end of works is announced.

When you do get to resolving fuzzy images, if in doubt, also check the suggestions on how to observes differences in the original image, recently added to the tutorial:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ImageLocali ... zzy_Images
caslav.ilic
Translator

Post by caslav.ilic »

Udi wrote:[...] I had to adjust the lightness-contrast to 90 - 70 to get the same effect as the original. I think it should be noted on the wiki page. My GIMP version is 2.4.7.
Added this to the article.
lotsofphil wrote:data/core/images/help/tooltip.png
Sure looks German to me.
...or some strange mix thereof :) Well, if someone fixes it, fixes it.
caslav.ilic
Translator

Re: Changes to maps

Post by caslav.ilic »

Chusslove Illich wrote:[...] don't update your localized overlays until the end of works is announced.
The work on maps is now done, so you may start updating overlays.

When you check the differences between old and new maps (as explained in my previous message), among other things you will also notice that label parchments got slightly transparent. Transparency levels are however different over woods and other terrain, so the parchment layer will have to be split into two. For precise instructions, check again the section on parchment labels in http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ImageLocalization#Maps .
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

The process of making logos currently mentioned in the ImageLocalization wiki article is being rewritten. Do not use said process, as logos made with that process shall not be accepted.
caslav.ilic
Translator

Post by caslav.ilic »

Instructions for making the localized logo have now been updated. Many thanks to Espreon for scrutinizing the procedure and pulling the strings :)

Do not miss the note at the end of the logo section. Localized logos have to be passed by Jetrel in order to be committed to the repository.

Of the logos made so far, the following were removed: Serbian, Serbian Latin, and Vietnamese. These should be remade to conform to the new instructions.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I had to change a place name, so here's an updated main map overlay for version 1.10.x
Attachments
l10n.zip
gd main map
(205.5 KiB) Downloaded 845 times