[EI] Captured - How is it possible?

All questions/issues/feedback for the iOS version of Wesnoth belong here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BlueThing00

[EI] Captured - How is it possible?

Post by BlueThing00 »

I played all of the way through Heir to the Throne and enjoyed it and got through it with no major problems. I’ve been doing the same with Eastern Invasion until I got to Captured.

The problem I am having is that when I open the cell doors, my freed units are not able to move immediately. That puts Dacyn standing exposed with 5 spaces next to him and 9 units which on average do half of his hit points (Trolls and Orcish Warriors) act when I hit next turn. From trying several times, I’ve never gotten past the 4th enemy unit acting before losing.

From reading the walkthrough on the wiki about the mission, it sounds like it used to work so that you could act immediately with your units, which would let me protect key people. Was this an intentional change? If so, how is it possible to ever complete this mission?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: [EI] Captured - How is it possible?

Post by zookeeper »

The freed units are able to move immediately. If that's not the case for you, what version of Wesnoth are you using?
BlueThing00

Post by BlueThing00 »

zookeeper wrote: May 25th, 2018, 9:34 am The freed units are able to move immediately. If that's not the case for you, what version of Wesnoth are you using?
I’m on the latest iPad version, 1.14.1.

I definitely cannot move any newly freed units.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Right, okay. Perhaps it's a bug specific to the iOS version then, we'll see what the iOS version maintainer says...
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thanks for reporting.

There was a similar bug in the published version, which was fixed in the following one.

Expect it to be fixed in the nearest update.
BlueThing00

Post by BlueThing00 »

Is this fixed in 1.14.2 on the iPad?
BlueThing00

Post by BlueThing00 »

BlueThing00 wrote: May 28th, 2018, 11:01 pm Is this fixed in 1.14.2 on the iPad?
I can answer my own question. It is not.
Eyvindr

Post by Eyvindr »

iPad v 1.14.4 still can’t move anyone the turn the cell is unlocked, and they kill Gweddry or Dacyn before I can do anything.
jrj673

Post by jrj673 »

As Eyvinder says, this bug has not been fixed in iPad v 1.14.4, and therefore the campaign cannot be completed. Comparing my experience to descriptions of the normal game in other posts and the official walkthrough, I have to conclude that the iPad version of this campaign is hugely buggy, for example, (Young) Ogres cannot be recruited, only recalled, while spearman can be recruited but spearman advancements cannot be recalled (they just vanish after a scenario ends).
pman71

Post by pman71 »

Has this bug still not been fixed? I’ve just downloaded v 1.14.9 on iPad - which seems to have been released 24th Dec 2019 - and yet I still see the same impossible situation. When you open any of the prison cells (I tried all three) none of the troops can move. So your leaders in the centre of the screen get instantly pummelled. Is there no way this can be sorted?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Moved to iOS Support.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

You're right, it's still there. Adding it to the priority list for the next update.
freelancerbob

Post by freelancerbob »

possible workaround.

It's possible in some situations to carefully use your 3 starting units to pull the enemy guards 1 at a time and neutralize them. Indeed I was able to use them to kill virtually everyone except the orc warlord. I imagine you could handle the rest of the mission after that nice headstart... remember to be just in their LOS. Are your 3 units too weak? Can't help you there.I read it tries to give you a level 1, lvl 2 and lvl 3. that should make it viable- do try and feed kills to your low level guys, and wait around to heal up between skirmishes.
singalen
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by singalen »

Thanks, and welcome to the forums!
The fix is available, but the context menu problem is taking more time to fix. Update is coming in a couple of days.