Yet another lucky Siege of Elensefar

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Remellion

Yet another lucky Siege of Elensefar

Post by Remellion »

This one scenario Siege of Elensefar still manages to stress me out even after having played through all of HttT multiple times on different versions. I just had this attempt with completely insane luck (no saveloading - it's OK, I wouldn't believe me either).

Shamans-only (+loyals) run, shamans only level into druids and shydes. For the choice, went to the Isle of the Damned. No Simyr (that seems impossible).

Turn 1/2: Konrad is already a Lord. Recalled Haldiel (Knight), Elrian (Red Mage), bunch of druids and shamans, recruit shamans.
Turn 4: Show me the ford please.
Turn 7: I've already lost 3 shamans which is almost certainly due to me being bad. (They belong in forest, not in a defensive line.) Luck (damage) is at -12%/-19%.

--- The luckiest elf ---
Turn 10: Pinarthea the shaman is at (20,39) on 18 HP, surrounded by 3 orcs and a skeleton. She is also one kill from levelling. Let's roll the dice - she wins! Luck is currently at +2%/-18%.
Turn 11: The loyal thieves and rogue die killing a crossbowman. Pinarthea is still on (20,39) and surrounded by 5 enemy units now.
Turn 12: Pinarthea is still on (20,39) and is perfectly healthy at 2 HP. That's one more than you really need, right?
Turn 13: It takes 3 units to kill Pinarthea the druid at last. Luck goes to +9%/-12%.

--- Entering Elensefar ---
Turn 16: Finally at the midway point, and luck is at +16%/-14%. Sure, I'll take it. We get a pair of Shydes and can start pushing north shortly.
Turn 21/22: The skeleton archer holding the bridge from the castle tile at (16,32) dodges absolutely everything from a knight, a druid and Vilia the shyde, then forces all three to try again next turn before dying. Vilia decides to learn the same trick, and goes down to 2 HP while dodging gracefully. (Losses are fine, just LET ME IN)
Turn 26: The orc leader comes to the bridge and dies. Excellent. I have 6 turns left to try and win. That's kind of not really on the cards now, is it? Let's just play it out. The druid exposed to 2 grunts and a warrior survives and levels to a Shyde. Why not.

--- The luckiest skeleton ---
Turn 28: The turn ends and I'm still in Elensefar. This is really looking bad. A skeleton on (14,29) attacks Haldiel the Grand Knight, leaving the skeleton at 18 HP and Haldiel at 19 HP.
Turn 29: Haldiel heals to 27, then attacks the skeleton. He makes 1 hit out of 4, while the skeleton lands 1 back. Silver Mage Elrian comes to finish the skeleton, and skillfully whiffs all 4 shots. (wat)
Enemy turn 29: The skeleton decides to move from flat to forest and attack Haldiel - any retaliation hit would kill it. The skeleton hits 3, Haldiel misses 2, and the skeleton levels into a deathblade. (WAT)

--- The luckiest finish ---
Turn 31: OK, so it turns out quick Shydes are really, really fast, but not quite fast enough. Vilia reaches the mouth of the cave at turn 31.
Enemy turn 31: Muff Jaanal steps on the 40% flat to meet her at the entrance. (WAT) Sure, Vilia dies, but, um... how nice of you to get the door.
Turn 32: I open up one hex with a Shyde, leaving me 3 hexes on Muff Jaanal. Elrian teleports in from the village I grabbed last turn (thankfully not ZOC'd) and finishes the scenario with help from 1 Shyde.

Wait, I beat the scenario? (????)
Final luck 0%/-10%, but you can't really put a number on this amount of luck, can you?
Attachments
HttT-The Siege of Elensefar replay 20210701-141544.gz
1.15.14, Lord (Challenging), Druids/Shydes (+Loyals) only
(52.77 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Gweddeoran

Re: Yet another lucky Siege of Elensefar

Post by Gweddeoran »

Gratz, sounds really rough. I always save-load to keep all my Loyal Units and Level 2+ Units alive :P.