[Poll] Recall List Compositions for Long SP Campaigns

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What kind of recall list would you like to have?

Big Recall List of multiple units belonging to various factions
43%
Small dedicated recall list + loyal units
22%
Loyal units Only + occasional recruits
4%
Changing recall list (new one every episode or so)
4%
Transferrable recall list
9%
Commander-role loyal unit with his faction recruits/recalls
17%

Total votes: 23

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

[Poll] Recall List Compositions for Long SP Campaigns

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello everyone!

This was brought up in a conversation and I am curious to know what the thoughts of the community are on the topic of recall list compositions?
This is mostly for long campaigns, which I have meant a campaign that might be over 13 scenarios in length. I just took 13 as an arbitrary number of scenarios but you get the gist.
  • Would you like to keep like a large recall list made of several races, unit types and representing multiple factions (maybe like 7 or so)?
  • Would you prefer a small dedicated recall list of a single faction plus any loyal units you have gained on your missions?
  • Just the loyal units?
  • Would you like your recall list to change as the campaign progresses or just keep them from the first scenario to the final scenario?
  • How would you feel if your members of a certain faction in your recall list was transferred to an ally who would be recalling them on your behalf?
  • Having a sub-commander role unit who gives you access to certain recruits/recalls but you lose them all if this special commander dies?
I have added six options but if you have anymore options, feel free to state them.
Zrevnur

Re: [Poll] Recall List Compositions for Long SP Campaigns

Post by Zrevnur »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 20th, 2021, 12:08 am This was brought up in a conversation and I am curious to know what the thoughts of the community are on the topic of recall list compositions?
This is mostly for long campaigns, which I have meant a campaign that might be over 13 scenarios in length. I just took 13 as an arbitrary number of scenarios but you get the gist.
Unfortunately I dont understand "the gist" at all - are you asking about how I make my recall lists or are you implying that the campaign maker 100% determines the recall list? Or sth else? Because for me min-maxing always plays a major role. So if I get to decide on the recall list then most of the questions dont make proper sense to me. Obviously I will prefer better units and if I dont know the campaign yet I will try to be flexible.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 20th, 2021, 12:08 am [*] How would you feel if your members of a certain faction in your recall list was transferred to an ally who would be recalling them on your behalf?
This is very bad - see LoW. It breaks the basic rule of keeping recall list units. Due to that any strategy going into recall list goes 'poof' and I would have been better off making more gold or sth instead. BfW is supposed to be a strategy game and not a screw-with-the-player-know-it-or-lose kind of game.

Edit: If this isnt done after-the-fact but properly communicated right at the beginning (meaning when I first get access to those units, not necessarily the beginning of the campaign) then it wouldnt be so bad.

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 20th, 2021, 12:08 am [*] Having a sub-commander role unit who gives you access to certain recruits/recalls but you lose them all if this special commander dies?
As long as this is properly communicated to the player and the 'dieing' part isnt scripted (and unpredictably so) this may make sense - I wouldnt have an issue with it.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Zrevnur wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 5:00 pm
Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 20th, 2021, 12:08 am [*] Having a sub-commander role unit who gives you access to certain recruits/recalls but you lose them all if this special commander dies?
As long as this is properly communicated to the player and the 'dieing' part isnt scripted (and unpredictably so) this may make sense - I wouldnt have an issue with it.
About that, I'm currently writing a campaign in which you can recruit "heroes" that add an unit type to you recruit list that disappear when they die. It is written "You can now recruit X" when you recruit the hero and "You can no longer recruit X" when he/she dies. Do you think this is enough or should it be more explicit ?

Another thing is that you can still recall units of this type and their level-up when the hero dies. Does it seems logical or not at all ?

Sorry for the partially irrelevant message.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

About that, I'm currently writing a campaign in which you can recruit "heroes" that add an unit type to you recruit list that disappear when they die. It is written "You can now recruit X" when you recruit the hero and "You can no longer recruit X" when he/she dies. Do you think this is enough or should it be more explicit ?
I think this is fine as the intended feature is conveyed to the player properly but when you first recruit the hero, you should also mention that losing him would disallow recruitment of his subordinates.
Another thing is that you can still recall units of this type and their level-up when the hero dies. Does it seems logical or not at all ?
This is fine. The recallable units might be inspired by their current leader and decide to stay under his command.
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

lhybrideur wrote: January 25th, 2021, 3:12 pm
Zrevnur wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 5:00 pm
Normally recruitment is bound to the leader. So its not obvious that the death of some other unit would disable the ability to recruit some unit types. So in some manner at some point it should be made clear to the player that in your campaign recruitment ability of some unit types is enabled/limited by those "hero" units being alive.
The "You can now recruit X" phrase is (far as I remember) used elsewhere too. Like recruiting Horsemen in HttT. And it sticks with the leader there - even though you also get a loyal Horsemen at the same time the survival/death of him doesnt change that. So players may be conditioned to interpret you merely using this phrase as it working in the same manner as in HttT.
lhybrideur wrote: January 25th, 2021, 3:12 pm Another thing is that you can still recall units of this type and their level-up when the hero dies. Does it seems logical or not at all ?
From a gameplay-mechanical POV this make perfect sense: Recruitment and recalling are bound to the leader. Edit: There is also precedence (HttT Isle of the Dead: certain outlaw units can be recruited only there but recalled later too) that the ability to recruit and recall are not bound together.
From a fluff POV it depends how you write the story or what kind of story you write. It could be either. If there is a discrepancy between the two perspectives it should be explicitely pointed out how it works in your campaign though.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

Thank you to both of you for your answer.
I will add a sentence precising the mechanism at the beginning of the campaign.