Mainline and UMC lore

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spirit_of_Currents

Mainline and UMC lore

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

Which add-ons have lore compatible with mainline lore and would add something significant to mainline lore? Are those add-on lores in collision with each other?
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
patience_reloaded

Re: Mainline and UMC lore

Post by patience_reloaded »

I'm not an expert at all, but I might know one or two campaigns:
- Ani's Quest (Add-on: A Sanguine Tale) tells a story from after the fall, with a mage trying to find a new home for the elves since the forests are dieing.
- The War of the Jewel tells a story from the old continent where the ruby of fire plays a significant role. It's set long before the mainline wesnoth campaigns.
I don't think these two campaigns collide with each other (however, WotJ is part of a bigger trilogy, the Dragon Trilogy, and other campaigns of that trilogy might collide with AniQ).
There are certainly many campaigns that I don't know. I have heard that "Invasion from the Unknown" and "After the Storm" are apparently sequels of UtbS, and they were said to be good iirc, but I'm not sure any more.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

There are some timelines spanning multiple UMC campaigns documented on the Wiki, in Category:History.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

patience_reloaded wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:46 am - The War of the Jewel tells a story from the old continent where the ruby of fire plays a significant role. It's set long before the mainline wesnoth campaigns.
I don't think these two campaigns collide with each other (however, WotJ is part of a bigger trilogy, the Dragon Trilogy, and other campaigns of that trilogy might collide with AniQ).
There are certainly many campaigns that I don't know. I have heard that "Invasion from the Unknown" and "After the Storm" are apparently sequels of UtbS, and they were said to be good iirc, but I'm not sure any more.
From what I heard, the Dragon Trilogy and Project Aethea (which IftU and AtS belong to) is not compatible with the Dragon trilogy. Both feature the ruby heavily and give it conflicting origins.
Soldier of Wesnoth is a spinoff of the Dragon trilogy and could technically fit into the mainline lore, but has a minor inconsistency with the mainline world map.
A New Order takes place long after any other mainline campaign set before the fall, and is pretty good.
egallager

Post by egallager »

patience_reloaded wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:46 am I'm not an expert at all, but I might know one or two campaigns:
- Ani's Quest (Add-on: A Sanguine Tale) tells a story from after the fall, with a mage trying to find a new home for the elves since the forests are dieing.
- The War of the Jewel tells a story from the old continent where the ruby of fire plays a significant role. It's set long before the mainline wesnoth campaigns.
Note that IftU/AtS make the assumption that you chose to side with the Dwarves in UtBS, while The Sojournings of Grog assumes that you chose to side with the Trolls, so I'm guessing that the two of them are probably incompatible?
egallager

Post by egallager »

BTIsaac wrote: December 15th, 2020, 1:33 pm
patience_reloaded wrote: December 13th, 2020, 9:46 am - The War of the Jewel tells a story from the old continent where the ruby of fire plays a significant role. It's set long before the mainline wesnoth campaigns.
From what I heard, the Dragon Trilogy and Project Aethea (which IftU and AtS belong to) is not compatible with the Dragon trilogy. Both feature the ruby heavily and give it conflicting origins.
Soldier of Wesnoth is a spinoff of the Dragon trilogy and could technically fit into the mainline lore, but has a minor inconsistency with the mainline world map.
A New Order takes place long after any other mainline campaign set before the fall, and is pretty good.
I agree that A New Order is good but it doesn't really seem to fit in with much of the rest of the lore in either mainline or in any other UMC; most campaigns tend to act like it never happened.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

egallager wrote: December 20th, 2020, 4:12 am I agree that A New Order is good but it doesn't really seem to fit in with much of the rest of the lore in either mainline or in any other UMC; most campaigns tend to act like it never happened.
There wouldn't be many campaigns that could potentially mention the events of A New Order, since it occurs chronologically after most mainline and UMC campaigns (it begins in 958 YW).
egallager

Post by egallager »

gnombat wrote: December 20th, 2020, 9:37 pm
egallager wrote: December 20th, 2020, 4:12 am I agree that A New Order is good but it doesn't really seem to fit in with much of the rest of the lore in either mainline or in any other UMC; most campaigns tend to act like it never happened.
There wouldn't be many campaigns that could potentially mention the events of A New Order, since it occurs chronologically after most mainline and UMC campaigns (it begins in 958 YW).
The IftU/AtS "Future History" timeline puts hundreds of years between ANO and The Fall; there's plenty of space for UMC campaigns in there: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Future_History
TDH, for example, is supposed to go in between the two, and yet it doesn't mention ANO
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

War of the Jewel also features the Green Isle hundreds of years before the Wesfolk arrive there - plus Aria of the Dragon-Slayer shows the last days of the Empire of Wesnoth before the Fall (including the Fall itself). Aria also loosely follows A New Order (a campaign I love), because the Wesnoth featured there is one from centuries after the Akladian invasion.
Soldier of Wesnoth basically knits together a bunch of mainline campaign characters & plots, and it also makes reference to the Akladian invasion of A New Order.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)