Dominus Maps

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Dominus Maps

Post by Atreides »

Pretty nice. Quite large. One thing that causes problems is the number of players which is more than 9. Run out of colours. Program gives all players 10 and up Teal hehe. My advice is to manually change them but exclude your own colour for greater clarity. Of course as luck would have it I ended up with 2 Orange Dwarf factions as neighbours, 2 Red Undead also (now my neighbours which is how I realized to in future exclude own colour <grin>) But it all runs well enough. Shuffle also ought to be off since all players start with greatly different # of villages, players 1-3 get less on map 1.1. Other maps not yet tried.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: Dominus Maps

Post by Atreides »

More bug reports on the maps: Fog of war is turned on in map settings but when you leave use map settings on it buggily gives no fog of war. A hack though is just turn off use map settings and you get the intended settings. Still, very fine maps, tried 1, 2.2, 4 and 6. N.B. maps are not even close to balanced, these are for playing vs computer, no good for multiplayer I suppose.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

I just learned that one can edit the team-colors.cfg file in data/core/ to enable more than 9 colours! There are about 15 predefined colours and if you move the unused ones to the end (behind teal that is to say) all maps/scenarios will still use the same 9 colours we are used to but on these Dominus maps with up to 45 players it gives you some extra colours to help out. To enable the unused colours one only has to add the line default=yes to those colours missing it. Another benefit is that you can now change to any of these pretty colours even if you are only using 9 or less players as is usual.

Myself I have trouble with seeing the black ellipses (old eyes) so I put black to the end and put gold in as one of the first 9. Black still gonna get used on Dominus maps alas but standard maps will be easier for me now. From the thread I was reading it seems that gold was yellow and was unwisely removed in an ancient version of wesnoth.

P.S. This only worked with 1.14! My 1.12 file has no default=yes lines so I don't know how (since it has the same 15 colours) it tells which to use... :( Anyone who knows how I can hack my 1.12 colours?
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Wow, an update to these classic maps. Now maps 11 and 12 are added. (Wonder what happened to 9 and 10, probably same as what befell 3 hehehe)

Still have to re-edit them to add fog=yes (for playability - you really don't want to see all the fighting on such a giant map - it runs slowly enough as is)
Also it is worth noting that Dom 6 & 7 (I think, I've forgotten) are missing a music playlist which you can add yourself. 11/12 are also bereft of sweet tunes so needed a retrofitting as well.

All these maps work with the civil war mod except for Dom 2 and 12. Useful here also is to rename the designated Rebel team with that moniker for improved clarity. It's always the last side listed.

11 and 12 have some new and interesting custom ai sides. I've modified the ai only sides with disallow_shuffle=yes as that seems likely to be needed. (in an old post I said shuffle was a bad idea, I've long abandoned that and have shuffle played these maps just fine)

I've discovered that 12 has a serious problem. The tunnels are messed up, mainly due to a , being a . in one case. A few others are a few hexes off of where they "should" be also. The . though causes a huge long line of tunnel to appear from the top to the bottom of the map.
bastou_xii

Post by bastou_xii »

Hi! I really liked the big maps of the Dominus set. Any plan to port this add-on to the 1.16 version soon? I'm considering doint it myself if no one else does ;-)
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

The guys who make these maps don't seem to visit the forums so I doubt you'll hear from them. But they are active, they released new maps some months ago.

You don't need to port the maps actually. Just use the 1.14 maps in 1.16.

I've been fixing little errors I've found in my own copy over the years so if you want I can send you those files. It's good to hear from another fan of these giant maps!
bastou_xii

Post by bastou_xii »

Atreides wrote: February 24th, 2022, 6:55 pm You don't need to port the maps actually. Just use the 1.14 maps in 1.16.

I've been fixing little errors I've found in my own copy over the years so if you want I can send you those files. It's good to hear from another fan of these giant maps!
Oh! Indeed, just moving the files works like a charm, thank you so much! I've been stuck playing in random maps since the 1.16 update. The only thing that would make it better is if they were to be published on the 1.16 add-on server so the game could find and update it without me looking on the 1.14 server online.

And Yes, I would love to get your corrected files!
bastou_xii

Post by bastou_xii »

Atreides wrote: March 28th, 2020, 9:08 pm Pretty nice. Quite large. One thing that causes problems is the number of players which is more than 9. Run out of colours. Program gives all players 10 and up Teal hehe. My advice is to manually change them but exclude your own colour for greater clarity. Of course as luck would have it I ended up with 2 Orange Dwarf factions as neighbours, 2 Red Undead also (now my neighbours which is how I realized to in future exclude own colour <grin>) But it all runs well enough. Shuffle also ought to be off since all players start with greatly different # of villages, players 1-3 get less on map 1.1. Other maps not yet tried.
What I've done to diminish those issues is to check up where each player starts and grouping players close together into teams of the same color with similar number of villages, but especially balanced sizes of castles, since it seems the bigger the castle, the more likely the AI is going to win. Then I select "No Ally mirror" for the "random faction matchup" property.
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

Heh, that's a quite old post of mine. I've since played all the maps several times and from many different starting spots. The nice thing is that there are so many different starting locations (and so many eras to try) that it's always a fresh and new experience.

Speaking of castle sizes Dominus 6 is a real challenge for that. Mostly 1-2 sized castles. And all those mountains! :) There is a 4 castle in the northwest which in one game with the Era of Myth's Vampires I took over and migrated my leader to.

As for the colour problem I fixed that by editing the core's teamcolor file... It doesn't seem to have broken anything over the last year or so in either 1.14 or 1.16. There are more than 9 colours defined in the file so I simply turned the rest on with default=yes.

Interesting idea about making teams. Map 2 did come in 2 versions, one all solo and one in teams, I've actually never played the team version. Maybe I'll try that. :)
Atreides

Post by Atreides »

I've decided to upload my modded versions of these classic maps. Totally unofficial of course. The maps are identical, I've only tweaked some of the scenario files to add things like missing music or missing disallow shuffles, etc. Of course I also fixed that new map that had broken tunnels.
Attachments
dominus.zip
current as of 23/12/30
(100.94 KiB) Downloaded 3 times