Enlarged Story Line Text?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crow_T

Re: Enlarged Story Line Text?

Post by Crow_T »

I'm curious as to how difficult it would be to integrate CSS into Wesnoth- a few Linux window managers use it already and it's really a simple yet powerful language. There is also the display problem of units that have multiple abilities, they don't always show. Maybe a good GSOC 2013 project?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

@mattsc: I was working on a large double-resolution Wesnoth theme (I have a 2560x1600 resolution on a 13-inch display) but didn’t get to some of the non-in-game widgets. I have it somewhere and I may get back to it one day.

@yogicbrewer: Sounds like a Feature Request may be in order. See this for how to submit a feature request.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

In case anybody actually uses this, I just put v0.0.1 on the 1.10 and 1.11 add-ons servers that fixes a couple minor bugs:
  • HP and XP for the unit are now displayed in full even if they are > 100 (previously cut off by size of the respective panels of the theme)
  • Messages now don't produce an error message if speaker=unit is used in an event that does not have a unit defined (and equivalently for second_unit)
ancestral wrote:@mattsc: I was working on a large double-resolution Wesnoth theme (I have a 2560x1600 resolution on a 13-inch display) but didn’t get to some of the non-in-game widgets. I have it somewhere and I may get back to it one day.
Cool!
gwhitney

Post by gwhitney »

Picking up this thread, I created the attached theme (just the _main.cfg and @mattsc's message_font_size.lua files are attached, put them in a directory called proto-hi-res in your add-ons directory) which attempts to "re-calculate" all of the display elements based on just a pixel pitch (mine happens to be 90 microns) and a few other basic dimensions. It kinda works -- definitely much more playable. Some of the graphic elements sadly do not expand with current code to fill their available space, but the mini-map is finally actually useful again :-) I put "re-calculate" in quotes because the preprocessor does not have math capabilities, so I will be filing a feature request for WML variable/formula substitution in theme WML.

WARNING: if you use this theme with unmodified Wesnoth 1.15.3 and you make the screen large enough so that the main map panel would be larger than 768 pixels high, the main map disappears, making the theme unusable. This is due to a bug in which that height 768 is hard-coded in the C++ code. I will be filing a bug report and pull request to alleviate that bug; with the change, this theme works decently for me (but it is rough, not polished). If anyone has thoughts/feedback about publishing it to the add-on server (with appropriate credit to @mattsc, of course!) please let me know.
Attachments
message_font_size.lua
@mattsc's message enlarging code
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
_main.cfg
The main theme of the file
(45.81 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
yogicbrewer

Post by yogicbrewer »

Thank you. Anything you can do to help would be great. We old farts have trouble with that stuff, to the point where after a while my eyes literally will not focus. The optometrist called it "eyestrain" but I call it a pain in the ass.
gwhitney

Post by gwhitney »

With the latest code in master, there's no longer any need for the message_font_size.lua file, just the main theme file should work. The more general font size code in master should now take care of the messages.
yogicbrewer

Post by yogicbrewer »

Thank you.
gwhitney

Post by gwhitney »

Oh and actually here is the theme file with the snippet to load that lua file eliminated, in case the attempt to load it causes problems.
Attachments
_main.cfg
(45.38 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

20 years into it (sort of) I also have eyesight-related issues. So any in-game
magnification is useful. Actually I think the biggest improvement would be
if we could increase the font size of the text messages.

Edit: actually, would it be possible to integrate this into wesnoth eventually?
To simplify this for us semi-handicapped folks (not everyone will find
this thread here for example).