Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Max

Re: Android support thread

Post by Max »

it's really a pity that none of the changes of the two iphone/ipad and android versions made it back to trunk. e.g. the first iphone version had a couple of nice performance improvements.

isn't there a chance to cooperate with dailin (ios port). i would assume you're both dealing with the same issues...
gnomius

Post by gnomius »

cjhopman wrote:This is one of the top feature requests that I am working on. The game is currently, essentially, unplayable on very high dpi devices like the Nexus 10.

Other features that I am working on include:
Making the help system more accessible and touch friendly.
Save game syncing between devices.
Update to Wesnoth 1.10.
Bring real support for translations.
Also, real support for add-ons.
Using Android's secondary apk mechanism to distribute the media (rather than Amazon S3).
These are great news! I'm so happy that you continue developing this port. Looking forward to this next update! :mrgreen:
ManseEverard

Post by ManseEverard »

Hi guys.
Is there way to play wesnoth on my Galaxy mini?

EDIT:

Galaxy mini GT- 55701
Android 2.3.6
kuhy

Post by kuhy »

cjhopman wrote: This is one of the top feature requests that I am working on. The game is currently, essentially, unplayable on very high dpi devices like the Nexus 10.

Other features that I am working on include:
Making the help system more accessible and touch friendly.
Update to Wesnoth 1.10.
Using Android's secondary apk mechanism to distribute the media (rather than Amazon S3).

I have not spent as much time working on Wesnoth the past couple months... but that should be changing now. Also, the Android port source is available (https://github.com/cjhopman/Wesnoth-1.8-for-Android), and I would be happy to accept patches to that (possibly even better would be bringing some of the Android changes into the desktop trunk). If you are seriously considering contributing to this, feel free to contact me for more information.
Yeah, good news . I realy love wesnoth and your port!!! But i have one bug on my nexus 7(android 4.2.2): sometimes if i click button(for loading game etc.) game crash. :( Please fix it. You are genius. :D
And do you plan to add level editor?
Edit: Why not update wesnoth to version 1.11?
TitsAndRainbows

Post by TitsAndRainbows »

Is there a 4.2.2 version for the game because it doesn't come up in my Play store whenever I try to search for it and I loved playing this game on my itouch. I have the Samsung Galaxy s4 if that's any help.
Beppe

Post by Beppe »

there are a few games out there on the android market witch plays out similarly to wesnoth, but in those games you just get a notice on the phone when its your turn, you then open the game click yourself to your active games and enter the ones and play the games where it is your turn. When you click end turn your turn is sent to your opponent who gets a similar notice. The main difference is that the phone only need to check regularly if there is any unplayed turns waiting for you.

Wesnoth plays out like a phone conversation, if the phone looses reception the call ends
I´m asking if there is a way to play the game like a text dialog, where your phone only regularly checks to see if there are any new texts for you

A good example of what I´m asking for is Uniwar witch is a similar game to this but with this function (althou its not as good as Wesnoth)
I hope you guys understand what I´m asking for
Maxxrox

Post by Maxxrox »

cjhopman wrote: This is one of the top feature requests that I am working on. The game is currently, essentially, unplayable on very high dpi devices like the Nexus 10.
cjhopman wrote: ...
Update to Wesnoth 1.10.
Good news!

In the interim, any chance you could update the Google Play store with screen shots of gameplay on the Nexus 10, to prevent more sales of a game that won't work properly on the hardware? Or at least post a warning that there is no way to change the resolution in-game?

--B
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Hello.

The only official available Wesnoth version for Android is an obsolete version (1.8).
Besides, I honestly don't like the approach of that version, which includes major modifications of the UI to adapt it to touchscreens.
I mean, with this approach every upgrade will need a great effort (and this is probably one of the reason why we are still at 1.8). Furthermore, many functionalities are unavailable.

That's why I built a 1.10.6 for Android, and I now am happily playing Wensoth on my phone and my tablet.

This version uses touchscreen to emulate the mouse and software or hardware keyboards for keystrokes.
Compared to the official version, IMHO, the controls are a little slower but you have everything which is available in the PC version, like for example:

- map zooming
- planning mode
- shroud updates delaying
- keyboard shortcuts [Tip: use an extended software keyboard; i.e. Hacker's Keyboard is available on Google Play and includes CTRL key and numeric keypad]
- language localization
- addons download

Also, if you have a screen larger than 800x480 (which is the minimum needed to play) the game will run on full resolution on your screen.

Since the result looked pretty good, I made it available on Google Play as unofficial port.
You can find it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ra.wesnoth

The price is 1 EUR (a little more than 1 USD), and it's just for covering the porting effort which took several days for debugging, since running the code as-is made the game crash at startup; to avoid this some little fixes have been applied to the sources [*].

There is a trial version available to check if you like how the game feels on your device; it's available here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... esnothfree

The only difference between the free version and the paid one is: the free version will shut itself down after 10 minutes.

I will try to keep it up to date as new maintenance versions come out.

[*] You can found modified sources here: http://www.alessandropira.org/wesnoth_a ... 0.6.tar.gz

Hope you'll like it.

Alessandro Pira
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I've pushed the changes to src to github: commit, branch and comparison.

I'm having some trouble actually building app though: http://pastebin.com/SQfZRJ4x
Max

Post by Max »

alep wrote:The only official available Wesnoth version for Android is an obsolete version (1.8).
Besides, I honestly don't like the approach of that version, which includes major modifications of the UI to adapt it to touchscreens.
I mean, with this approach every upgrade will need a great effort (and this is probably one of the reason why we are still at 1.8).
that's mainly because no-one ever made the effort of providing a patch. most of the tweaks are sdl related and would apply to all touchscreen devices. i really doubt there would be much resistance from the developer side.
alep wrote:This version uses touchscreen to emulate the mouse and software or hardware keyboards for keystrokes.
Compared to the official version, IMHO, the controls are a little slower but you have everything which is available in the PC version...
i gave it a try - the experience was quite painful.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

AI wrote:I've pushed the changes to src to github: commit, branch and comparison.

I'm having some trouble actually building app though: http://pastebin.com/SQfZRJ4x
Can you detail a little more your build environment and the steps you made to build?

I'm asking this because I could not reproduce your error. To be sure, I also installed a fresh new ubuntu on a virtual machine, downloaded the package, sun's jdk and Google's android SDK & NDK, set up PATH & co., ran build.sh and the build completed fine.
I can only presume there is something broken in you building environment or you modified the content of the package before building.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Max wrote:
alep wrote:(and this is probably one of the reason why we are still at 1.8).
that's mainly because no-one ever made the effort of providing a patch.
Exactly. But why should somebody bother to provide a patch for a paid game?
This way the official android port is sadly going to be abandoned. And, believe me, this is a pity.
I made this port because I love this game and I can't believe that android platform cannot be supported in the same way other operating systems are.

PLEASE provide a free up-to-date version for Android. I'm speaking with developers. I can help, if you want, but for a FREE game.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

alep wrote:
AI wrote:I've pushed the changes to src to github: commit, branch and comparison.

Can you detail a little more your build environment and the steps you made to build?

I'm asking this because I could not reproduce your error. To be sure, I also installed a fresh new ubuntu on a virtual machine, downloaded the package, sun's jdk and Google's android SDK & NDK, set up PATH & co., ran build.sh and the build completed fine.
I can only presume there is something broken in you building environment or you modified the content of the package before building.
I'm afraid I can't access my computer before the 18th, but I believe this is what I did:
-extract your package
-update my android SDK
-download the latest NDK
-run build.sh

Maybe my java SDK is outdated. I did all this on debian wheezy.
That linking error occurred after each of the individual objects had been successfully compiled.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

AI wrote: I'm afraid I can't access my computer before the 18th, but I believe this is what I did:
-extract your package
-update my android SDK
-download the latest NDK
-run build.sh

Maybe my java SDK is outdated. I did all this on debian wheezy.
That linking error occurred after each of the individual objects had been successfully compiled.
Ok... java SDK should not be a problem, or at least not at that point.
When you will be able to access your computer, can you please do:

cd ......./WesnothAndroid-1.10.6/ [go into the unpacked folder]
ndk-build -n

and provide the output (which should be fairly long)?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Spoiler: