What happend to The Dark Hordes ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Frostfur

What happend to The Dark Hordes ?

Post by Frostfur »

Ive been playing Wesnoth on and of now for a few years and the first campaign i played was TDH. It used to be my favo campaign even though it wasnt 100% finished. I cant seem to find it now though. has it been scrapped?

Hope I posted in right forum and thanks on forhand Frostfur
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What happend to The Dark Hordes ?

Post by Sangel »

Unfortunately, the original developer of The Dark Hordes never completed the campaign. While there were several attempts to complete it by other people, they never really got anywhere. As Wesnoth matured, and additional high-quality campaigns became available to add to mainline, it didn't make much sense to keep an incomplete campaign in the main distribution.

Have you tried Descent into Darkness? It's another campaign where you play as undead, and it's in pretty good shape, too.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

TDH > DiD IMO, although Descent into Darkness has a better story. More so after it was included in Invasion From the Unknown. (Which is another undead campaign.)
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I never understood the draw to The Dark Hordes. Sure, it was an early attempt at an Undead campaign but there wasn't much to it.

Who knows, maybe it should be considered -the- Undead campaign, as it doesn't seem to ever die.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It's still being somewhat actively developed on wensoth-umc-dev. I should really release a 1.8 version already...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Hulavuta wrote:[...] Invasion From the Unknown. (Which is another undead campaign.)
No, it isn't. The player can recruit undead and there's an undead hero by their side but that doesn't make that faction central to the plot. At least not until later scenarios.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

The Dark Hordes is returned and complited in 1.12 and 1.14
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

Iris wrote: April 29th, 2010, 5:27 pm
Hulavuta wrote:[...] Invasion From the Unknown. (Which is another undead campaign.)
No, it isn't. The player can recruit undead and there's an undead hero by their side but that doesn't make that faction central to the plot. At least not until later scenarios.
I m glad to annonce that i recreated the dark hordes and i wish you try it and give me ur opinion. Im a fun of iftu
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

I tried to download these Dark Hordes from add-on server but the campaign was broken, it just didn't start up (said about some error in WML code)
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Paskovski

Post by Paskovski »

hermestrismi wrote: February 8th, 2020, 8:04 pm
Iris wrote: April 29th, 2010, 5:27 pm
I m glad to annonce that i recreated the dark hordes and i wish you try it and give me ur opinion. Im a fun of iftu
Scenario 13 "against all wesnoth" does not work. The map doesn't load.
HannahDuncan

Post by HannahDuncan »

Yep, same. That is really sad.
egallager

Post by egallager »

I'd check it out to try to fix it, but I only got up to Scenario 8 (Underground Pool, the annoyingly bottleneck-y map with the single-tile wide tunnels) before giving up...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

egallager wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:52 am I'd check it out to try to fix it, but I only got up to Scenario 8 (Underground Pool, the annoyingly bottleneck-y map with the single-tile wide tunnels) before giving up...
You would be a better maintainer for TDH, IMHO. The previous guy did complete it but left it as an unspeakable wreck.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
egallager

Post by egallager »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:56 am
egallager wrote: April 27th, 2021, 4:52 am I'd check it out to try to fix it, but I only got up to Scenario 8 (Underground Pool, the annoyingly bottleneck-y map with the single-tile wide tunnels) before giving up...
You would be a better maintainer for TDH, IMHO. The previous guy did complete it but left it as an unspeakable wreck.
Focusing my Wesnoth time on working on a new scenario for TEG currently...