Noob question.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jaimeastorga2000

Re: Noob question.

Post by jaimeastorga2000 »

I don't use it except if the game crashes or something and I want to start where I let off. Otherwise I start the scenario over if I get defeated or lose a loyal character I wanted to keep. It's not hard to ignore this feature.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Saving/Reload is for cowards :p

I perfier to dont play any campaign (because the freaking luck of the AI) But I had cleared yet "A tale of 2 brothers" and "Liberty". The others tittles dont liked me much.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

I was playing on HttT a bit recently (easiest difficulty, but, meh). And, I was actually surprised to see there was a swing of 11% in the luck. And that swing was going towards my end. :P
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

xer wrote:I was playing on HttT a bit recently (easiest difficulty, but, meh). And, I was actually surprised to see there was a swing of 11% in the luck. And that swing was going towards my end. :P
People have taken the statistics to prove that the RNG isn't biased depending on the difficult level they play at.
But that is not a way to prove it.

The player does know much better (or most players) how to play Wesnoth than the ai.
They kill single units that the ai sends in uncareful without taking much damage on their own units.
A player chooses the terrain more wisely and isn't bound to ridiculous high aggression or low caution values.
And you protect vulnerable units behind a front line by using ZOC at which the ai fails.

So it's not a surprise to see that the player makes more damage in the statistic than the ai, even if the ai would be biased.
If you want to prove the ai being biased, look at the source code and show the part that is responsible for that bias.
Knalgin69

Post by Knalgin69 »

i think that reloading the game is a cheap way to complete a scenario, try completing them all without reloading, its alot more practice
Malkor

Post by Malkor »

This topic comes up far too much.
When the night is as bright as day. When the day is as dark as night.
When all that is, is only cruelty and hatred. When all that ever was, was sorrow. When all that ever will be, will be fear.
When the world ends with you, do you end the world?
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

@ Malkor

Indeed.

@ The topic
It's really simple. People who want to cheat will. Okay fine, if that's fun for you, then great, save/load all you want. If you think that's cheap then don't do it. Simple as that. I believe that everybody has the will not to save/load if that's their opinion. You could make the same argument about the debug (though it has uses when the game fails to react properly). It's really simple. We need the option to save, for practical purposes, and if you want, you can even turn it off. So i don't see a need in further discussion. Though I may have over looked something.

In a non-offending tone,

Elvish Conquerer
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"
LotusEliseGeek

Post by LotusEliseGeek »

When I first started playing, i reloaded A LOT! :lol2: It does help you at first, but start shying away from that soon, because you need to think, "What if this random thing happened and all heck broke loose?"
IPS

Post by IPS »

Unnheulu wrote:I was playing on HttT a bit recently (easiest difficulty, but, meh). And, I was actually surprised to see there was a swing of 11% in the luck. And that swing was going towards my end. :P
Lol, I had played the easy campaign in champion and the medium campaign in average level :P

In the last mision of Liberty IN 1.6.5, if the young guy dies, you dont loses LOL!!
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

IPS wrote:In the last mision of Liberty IN 1.6.5, if the young guy dies, you dont loses LOL!!
Yes. Very droll.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

IDM save/reloading manically (i.e continuously trying to force an orc archer to miss all 3 hits :roll: ) when I try to get 0 losses for the whole campaign, as it saves time. But normally, I only load from autosaves in campaigns, and in multiplayer, not at all :P
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
norbert

Post by norbert »

CreepyEyes wrote:Can you go back turns an unlimited amount of times?
In 2008, I submitted a feature request related to this.
The Reincarnation Fish makes the Head Over Heels game quite interesting.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Going back x turns reloads that autosave, so allow unlimited autsaves...