Some questions about some units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vicza

Some questions about some units

Post by vicza »

1) Asked already here, but, maybe, this is more appropriate place for it. Why Orcish Assassin have "usage=fighter"? It has only one melee attack and 3 ranged ones. And anyway, I think, most players use it for poisoning units, i.e. for its ranged attack. Especially it's strange comparing to Giant Mudcrawler, who with 7-2 melee and 5-3 ranged is archer. I think, these assassins should be, at least, mixed fighers.

2) Why mentioned Mudcrawlers aren't immune to poison? There aren't living, are they?

3) Why Giant Scorpion is so expensive? It's not much stronger, than Orcish Assassin, and 1st level, too, but almost as twice more expensive (17 vs 32 gold).
megane
Art Contributor

Re: Some questions about some units

Post by megane »

1) "usage" tags (other than "scout")are there only so the ai recruits correctly. I assume they're set that way so that the AI buys a number of them which is more consistent with how useful they are.

2) Yeah, they're alive. They're magically animated, but that doesn't mean they're not living.

3) Because no one can buy it, so it doesn't matter? No reason not to change it, but it's not like the cost of a Darwrf is a point of contention.
that little girl's parents were attacked by ninjas - generic npc
hee hee! - little girl
vicza

Post by vicza »

megane wrote:1) "usage" tags (other than "scout")are there only so the ai recruits correctly. I assume they're set that way so that the AI buys a number of them which is more consistent with how useful they are.
Yes. But I intentionally placed the link to AOI:Assassins theme. This scenario is named "Assassins", but AI recruits only wolfriders and grunts. If assassins had, say, "usage=mixed fighter", it could be regulated by something like

recruitment_pattern="scout,fighter,mixed fighter,mixed fighter"
2) Yeah, they're alive. They're magically animated, but that doesn't mean they're not living.
Hmm, a living piece of mud? :hmm:
3) Because no one can buy it
Why not? :wink:
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Some unit don't have an optimal usage= btw... At one point we thought we would review them but nobody did care (mostly because lack of time+interest).
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
nataS

Post by nataS »

Jellyfish are made up of water for over 95%, are they alive? And the human body consists of around 80% of water when we are born. So what do you say, are we alive or living pools of water with some carbon mixed into it?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I suspect the real answer on the mudcrawler is likely to be that there are virtually no scenarios where a poisoning unit fights a mudcrawler and consequently no-one bothered to think about whether poison should work.
vicza

Post by vicza »

Chris NS wrote:I suspect the real answer on the mudcrawler is likely to be that there are virtually no scenarios where a poisoning unit fights a mudcrawler
In TROW there's a pair of scenarios where they fight mudcrawlers, and the player can have assassins.
vicza

Post by vicza »

vicza wrote:3) Why Giant Scorpion is so expensive?
As I see, the scorpion in trunk is now cheaper, only 22 gold. And how about its resistances? It was discussed recently in this theme.

Of course, it can affect some scenarios (especially the one in sotbe; instead of using weak archers, player could then simply use trolls against them), but still, I think, proposed changes would be quite logical.

And, BTW, what's wrong with the Mage of Light? He was weakened again... :o
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

nataS wrote:Jellyfish are made up of water for over 95%, are they alive? And the human body consists of around 80% of water when we are born. So what do you say, are we alive or living pools of water with some carbon mixed into it?
The issue, I think, is the "magical animation" aspect, not the substance of being. It's not because a mudcrawler is made of mud, but because they're magically animated. After all, the undead are also magically animated, but they're immune to poison because they're not alive.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
Eolith
Location: Oh, about six or seven different universes at once.

Post by Eolith »

vicza wrote:
megane wrote: Because no one can buy it
Why not? :wink:
Maybe because there is no Monsters faction? I hope to remedy that (assuming I am doing something right.)
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

In Process (BfW 1.6.5): Crystal of Sight (campaign)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The forum crash is no excuse for thread necromancy. The order of Light will punish you shortly and swiftly.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Eolith

Post by Eolith »

Where did you get the idea that it was necromancy? I prefer to fight against Necromancers, not alongside them. Besides, discovering a new animal somewhere in the wild is not necromancy, is it? Just like discovering a magically animated creature is not necromancy, but the actual creation of the creature often is.
Completed Add-Ons (BfW 1.4): Dark Century (era); From Darkness to Light (campaign); Rise of Toraila (era); Forty Years Exile (campaign); (BfW 1.6.5) Improved Era (era)

Peter the Great

Post by Peter the Great »

Thread necromancy is just a term used to refer to when an old topic dies (no one posts on it anymore) and then someone posts on it, reviving it. (Remind you of something?)

p.s. Who says there's no monsters faction anymore :P
And why don't you just lock this anyway?
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Eolith

Post by Eolith »

Ok, thanks. I had not known the meaning of the term. Also, I never came across the Monsters faction. I will take a look at it if possible. I may be able to use it in my era. Don't bother answering this directly, I am not going to watch this thread any longer.

ArtillaryGoat

Post by ArtillaryGoat »

Peter the Great wrote:Thread necromancy is just a term used to refer to when an old topic dies (no one posts on it anymore) and then someone posts on it, reviving it. (Remind you of something?)

p.s. Who says there's no monsters faction anymore :P
And why don't you just lock this anyway?
I realise I post at my own peril.

I agree that randomly bringing an old topic up is bad, but if someone wishes to talk about a topic, and that topic already exists (even if it is months old) isn't it better for that someone to revive the old topic instead of creating a new topic, and then being told that the said topic has been brought up before (foot noted to use search and/or a link to the old topic)?

At least the poster in such a situation usually appears to have read the prior discussions (often excepting multi-page topics) and can contribute to the topic.

However I do re-iterate that posting without contributing is bad.

Back to the Scorpion

Isn't the Scorpion available in the Great War Era?

And I do think a cost of 32 is a bit extreme.