State of the multiplayer server

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

hiro hito

Re: State of the multiplayer server

Post by hiro hito »

:idea: Each time a player leaves a game without say a word, he must pay!!!....
Or each time you want to open a game with 30xp and 5 gold, you must pay!!!!

What you think? :D

(dedicated to all the leavers :twisted: )
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If the game disconnects someone it is not their fault that they left without a word.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
vetgirig

Post by vetgirig »

A simple solution for the server kicking out player would be to simply not allow more than X number of players at the same time - so that players dont get disconnected and has to re-login and thus putting extra load on the server.

Cap it at 100 players should not be a big deal ? Or whatever number who won't get the server to behave badly.

As the state is now - it wont draw in new players - and it will alienate old players who dont like being disconnected every 20 minutes.
DDR

Post by DDR »

There is one solution not suggested yet... have wesnoth start the server when it creates a new game. Then, have the official server direct all players joining that game to the host's server. That would take the majority of the load off the server. but it would probably need a major re-write of the existing code, and it might introduce security errors. The home server would be given periodic updates when the turn changed, the map changed, hosts changed, etc... However, it would mean we could host thousands of games on the same 'server'...
TreeBearded

Post by TreeBearded »

I'm not a programmer and have a layman's idea about how the code works. However, I was wondering if an idea I had was feasable in regards to a game server. I like the idea of a chat server previously mentioned. Instead of having multiple dedicated game servers why not just have the host player become the sever for that game. Isn't there some code that can take the ip of the host and send it out to all players. The players would then connect to the host via ip. In essence the host player becomes the server for that game alone. The host computer can send info packets periodically to the chat server about turn and whom is still playing etc... When the game is over all players are directed back to the chat server.

I hope i explained this well enough. I've got a raging hang over.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

DDR wrote:There is one solution not suggested yet... have wesnoth start the server when it creates a new game. Then, have the official server direct all players joining that game to the host's server. That would take the majority of the load off the server. but it would probably need a major re-write of the existing code, and it might introduce security errors. The home server would be given periodic updates when the turn changed, the map changed, hosts changed, etc... However, it would mean we could host thousands of games on the same 'server'...
This is the same base idea as what Quensul and I proposed.

But some users will be behind firewalls not allowing incoming connections, which hinders them using servers. So your idea (server = computer of host player) would restrict some users from being host player.

Paul
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

And it would be bad if a slow modem guy become Host while the DSL4000 guy is client...
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I see lots of complicated solutions here, but you can already [w]donate[/w]. There's plenty of people who would donate if they knew of the [w]Donate[/w] article on the wiki. On top of that, though, the current page is complicated and can confuse some people even if they know of it. The simplest solution would be to get a small, out-of-the-way, PayPal Donate button for the front page and a banner for the [w]Donate[/w] page on the wiki. We could even honor people on a list (categorized by big ($20 and up?) and small donors (all else)) on that page if they choose to not be anonymous. That would at least offset some of the costs of a better server and hopefully donations will work at least until the Summer of Code.

Another problem is that the [w]Donate[/w] page is only linked to from the site map, which isn't the way people enter the wiki most of the time (mostly, they just click Play/Create/Support/Projects/Credits at the top). Linking it in more places might also help (maybe even add a Donate button to the header). You don't have to beg, you don't have to have subscription services or fine annoying people. You don't even have to have intrusive and annoying ads that probably won't generate much revenue since this isn't a browser game. Simply optimize the server and make the current donation methods more clear.

I think the biggest problem is that most people don't know you can donate or can't see how. Oh, and in case it isn't clear enough, everyone who's complaining right now might as well go ahead and donate:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Donate
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
TreeBearded

Post by TreeBearded »

Ok, why not take the peer to peer software example. Anyone that loads Wesnoth and plays multiplayer becomes a peer. That way the collective power (even modem guy) would act as the server.
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Aethaeryn wrote:I think the biggest problem is that most people don't know you can donate or can't see how.
Yes. Very true.
Aethaeryn wrote:The simplest solution would be to get a small, out-of-the-way, PayPal Donate button
We want people to notice it, don't we? Why put it out-of-the-way? Making a cool sprite button placed above "screenshots" and "trailer", where people will actually notice it, makes much more sense. Plus, it's so much more stylish.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Well, this was meant to be more of a status update than an attempt to get people to talk about fundraising. I suppose it's okay if people do. :)

I would really prefer to avoid asking more for donations if possible. If we did need to raise money, my preferred approach would be (appropriate) advertising.

But right now I'm much more focused on trying to code a solution to the problem. Here is a status update (warning: lots of technical details): http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20450

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Hmmm - it's not as if you had to "beg" for donations. I think the main point here is that most people completely fail to realize that there's a "donate" option at all - I know that I didn't until someone mentioned it in this topic. =)

Also, don't you think that ads are more annoying to users than voluntary donations? I know we're moving in hypothetical territory here but I'd like to know why ads would be the preferred method for raising money... Is it because they'd generate a steadier income NOT based on the users' generosity?
Last edited by Lim-Dul on March 18th, 2008, 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Lim-Dul wrote:Hmmm - it's not as if you had to "beg" for donations. I think the main point here is that most people completely fail to realize that there's a "donate" option at all - I know that I didn't until someone mentioned it in this topic. =)

Also, don't you think that ads are more annoying to users than voluntary donations? I know were moving on hypothetical territory here but I'd like to know why ads would be the preferred method for raising money... Is it because they'd generate a steadier income NOT based on the users' generosity?
Yeah, I wonder that too. Ads on the Internet basically make money by (1) playing on stupidity, like winning a free item by giving all your person information or saying you have a billion viruses on your computer in a fake error message or (2) by being in search engines so you see them while you are searching. At least, those are the only ones I've ever heard/seen be successful and I don't think there's that many idiots playing Wesnoth to click annoying ads. Most people ignore ads, and for a game where most of the hits are on the MP server and not the website, it might be best to rely on donations more. Even if you do add ads, still add the donate button - can't have too much income.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
bert1

Post by bert1 »

If there are more donations, and especially if there are regular payments, the devs might feel they are bound by stronger obligations to users, which they understandably may not want. You can just imagine:

"I've paid my money! Where are the windows binaries! The server has been down for three days and I'm calling my lawyer..."

Also Noy might feel inhibited in his responses to paying users, which would be a shame.

Advertising would avoid this. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
CK5Y12

Post by CK5Y12 »

pauxlo wrote:
DDR wrote:There is one solution not suggested yet... have wesnoth start the server when it creates a new game. Then, have the official server direct all players joining that game to the host's server. That would take the majority of the load off the server. but it would probably need a major re-write of the existing code, and it might introduce security errors. The home server would be given periodic updates when the turn changed, the map changed, hosts changed, etc... However, it would mean we could host thousands of games on the same 'server'...
This is the same base idea as what Quensul and I proposed.

But some users will be behind firewalls not allowing incoming connections, which hinders them using servers. So your idea (server = computer of host player) would restrict some users from being host player.

Paul
Lizard wrote:And it would be bad if a slow modem guy become Host while the DSL4000 guy is client...
So? Just join other players game then:P, and for firewall stuff - im 100% sure there are ways to allow incoming connections from wesnoth :annoyed:
Extreme simplicity, like a drop of water.