RPG-Style Campaigns

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CarpeGuitarrem

RPG-Style Campaigns

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

So I've been poking around a little, and I was wondering if there were any Wesnoth campaigns that especially resemble skirmish RPGs, with, say, a small amount of units, and a core group of heroes?
JW

Re: RPG-Style Campaigns

Post by JW »

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:So I've been poking around a little, and I was wondering if there were any Wesnoth campaigns that especially resemble skirmish RPGs, with, say, a small amount of units, and a core group of heroes?
Most campaigns center around a small group of heroes, I think, but I am unaware of how many use a small amount of units.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

For the most part, you;re in the wrong place for RPG campaigns. This is a strategy game based on the movement of large armies, primarily. That being said, most campaigns do have a core set of unique units, and most have at least a few rpg-ish scenarios. Northern Rebirth is a good example, as (to a lesser extent) is the Rise of Wesnoth. DOn't know about UMC, though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

There's several multiplayer RPG-style scenarios, but not single-player ones.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

My campaign (Invasion from the Unknown, 1.3.10+ only) features RPGish scenarios every 7 scenarios or so. But the rest is pure Wesnoth. :)

If you want to develop your character, Under the Burning Suns (builtin in 1.3.10+, the earlier versions don't feature the following) allows you to upgrade your hero in a RPGish way. Very nice.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

Cool, thanks for the tips.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

If you would care for a multiplayer rpg, check out the following...
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Swiftfingers

Post by Swiftfingers »

If you are looking for RPG's, I would highly recommend Bob's RPG's. While they are not campaigns in the wesnoth sense, they are very good and put together well.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

I may also point to my "Clonkinator's RPG". It doesn't have as much story as Bob_The_Mighty's ones, but there are also some nice tricks and traps and a good piece of WML, which allows you to have a small inventory for example. I'd recommend you to try all of them out though - that's the best way to find out which ones you like and which ones you don't.